New Grand Finale

Letting the lowest placing corps leave the show early is a great advancement. If you perform first or second every night, you lost about three hours per day on tour waiting for retreats to end.

As a fan I hate it, as a member who went on first or second for a season, I really appreciate.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the reviews, this was the performance order.

Toledo:

1. Southwind

2. Cap Reg

3. Cavaliers

4. Cadets

5. Bluecoats

6. Glassmen

Indiana:

1. Memphis Sound

2. Glassmen

3. Cadets

4. Cap Reg

5. Bluecoats

Up until this year Cavaliers and Cadets would have gone on last (except for show hosts).

I"m sorry, but performance orders do NOT always have Cadets and Cavaliers on last. I marched shows a decade ago where we (Glassmen) would sometimes go on after a Top 6 corps and it had nothing to do with where we were.

Besides, how do you know the performance order had ANYTHING to do with the new retreat?

Maybe they didn't change the schedule because all the other corps already had THEIR rehersal and travel schedules planned for the day?

MGC went inactive what, 2 weeks before the Toledo show? Six corps couldn't be notified at some point over the course of two weeks to move their schedules up 20 minutes that day in the interest of getting on the road sooner for the next show? This doesn't sound like a monumental task to me....

Mike in OH

I know that I was disappointed when I read that there were no longer going to be full retreats. Most everyone has addressed the issues involved.......and all opinions have merit.

But I have one issue that hasn't been addressed (I think).

Think about those kids in small division III corps.....who get to stand on the same field with the Cavaliers, the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Madison Scouts, etc......and play with these great musical ensembles. Just think what a thrill that is for a youngster who may only be 12 or 13 years old....and may just be learning how to march and play at the same time. I can't think of too many other things that would inspire a youngster to practice harder and work harder in rehearsal. Maybe they will come away with the thought that, " I could be a part of something greater than I'm involved in now".

And to make it even better........mix the corps up on the field (like DCM retreats) so they get the chance to stand next to a member of the Cavaliers, etc. and find out how great they are.

Just a thought from a parent (and a band director).

Letting the lowest placing corps leave the show early is a great advancement.  If you perform first or second every night, you lost about three hours per day on tour waiting for retreats to end. 

As a fan I hate it, as a member who went on first or second for a season, I really appreciate.

As earlier posted, how can a corps leave early if the DM's have to stay for awards? You want to leave the DM's?

Forgive me folks...  I never went on tour.

How is it the corps can hit the road quicker when you have to wait for the DM's before you can leave?  Is it more an equipment issue than a personnel one?

Most corps leave behind a vehicle lke a van or RV or whatever it feasible to do so that will bring the DM(s) back to be with the corps at the next housing site.

Also, each year there are fewer and fewer shows being relatively CLOSE to one another and that has caused much concern for corps not doing full retreats in order to get the kids on the road to the next location which is not as close as they ued to be bacck in the 80's and early 90's. Granted that is not always the case but it is in the minority now a days.

I would have to research it but back in the VFW and AL days and even the beginnings of DCI the "tour" was not much of anything like it is today. I think more in regards to Senior Corps where shows were on weekends and doing full retreats were very accomodating to the performers then.

This was stated earlier, but this really is almost a regional issue. There are no full retreats on the west coast, so for those west coast marchers and fans, full retreat is nothing but a bore. There is still pleeeenty of time for family members to 'mingle' with the corps members and for other corps to mingle with others. It happens in that time when they're not on the field playing. Instead of standing forever on in lines on the track and then waiting forever in blocks on the field, corps actually have the opportunity to hang out with each other in the parking lot instead of waiting or scores. Also, in that downtime between end of show and end of awards, there is the opportunity for individual corps members to do some individual rehearsing.

I guess SoCal will get to see the addition of the half-retreat for the first time this weekend...someone write a review...

Think about those kids in small division III corps.....who get to stand on the same field with the Cavaliers, the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Madison Scouts, etc......and play with these great musical ensembles.  Just think what a thrill that is for a youngster who may only be 12 or 13 years old....and may just be learning how to march and play at the same time.  I can't think of too many other things that would inspire a youngster to practice harder and work harder in rehearsal.  Maybe they will come away with the thought that, " I could be a part of something greater than I'm involved in now".

And to make it even better........mix the corps up on the field (like DCM retreats) so they get the chance to stand next to a member of the Cavaliers, etc. and find out how great they are.

Speaking as one of those from D3 then D2, marching in with, and standing with, some of the "big guys" gave a connection, a feeling of brotherhood - the idea that, top or bottom, we were all corpsmen.
Then, after only two corps, we had to endure a FORTY-FIVE MINUTE intermission.

There's your hour you're looking to make up.

Here! Here! Shorten intermissions. Souvies are for pre-show time, at least here where they are OUTSIDE the ticketed area. If you get souvies during intermission, you have to buy another ticket to get back in.

I understand the safety issue, but, as has also been pointed out, the pageantry of retreat adds an umph to the proceedings.

Of all of you who have been to a show this year what do you think of the new Grand Finale format?  Personally I think it stinks.  It was a great ending to the evening performances when all the performing corps came marching out to cheers from the crowd and the sounding rendition of America/O Canada by them all.  I think that those of you who marched would agree that it is very emotional to perform and then to watch as an alumni.  Any opinions?

I havent seen the new Finale yet, but my best friend that's in Xmen says its not the same. I know i love the original finale and cant imagine the feelin the age-outs woud have as I know I had during it. Anyway, GO XMEN CONTRAS!