DCI Omaha (6/22)

Background info: Well, this is my first real extended review of a drum corps show. I have written reviews for marching band competitions, but just basically for me. I haven't been a fan too long (see signiture). This would be my third drum corps competition that I have attended in person. Other than that, I have seen a ton of finals videos ranging from the sevendies to today. I apologize in advance for my quirky scoring (a lot of it is inflated and exaggerated), and for the fact that my reviews will mostly consist of hornline/overall show package info rather than colorguard and percussion. So sue me, I'm a sax player.

Weather/Atmosphere: Boy are these kids lucky they had it tonight rather than last night, but still, that's not saying much. It was a pretty consistantly humid 92-95 degree weather all day and night. Omaha can be worse, but it still can't be a walk in the park. The first three corps had the unfortunate view of the setting sun. In terms with the people, the Tangier Shriners were great, they knew how to hold a competition (not to shabby for their first one neither). I was sitting between the 50 and 45 (stage right), 20 rows up. Wish I would've been a little higher, but most drill was easily readable. Plenty of people packing the stands (I actually think they filled up the entire thing, which is fantastic), with a good mix of old and young people. On to the show...

Blue Stars, "Pixelation: The Music of Final Fantasy" (Actual score: 58.8 | My score: 58.5) : First thing I thought of when I saw this corps take the field was the great size they had both as a D2 corps and considering their history. This really helped their overall blend and support, which is a good thing. The first hit of the show was great, but throughout the entire show I kept on wanting more sound. When they were stationary the overall volume and fullness of the sound was good, but was lacking when they were in motion. The drill was demanding, so I'm sure that will be fixed in time. Some hits, however, did have one player play half or a quarter beat early, but that wasn't too prevalent.

Hitting the different sections, the trumpets did have some tone and blend issues (players sticking out, laser tones, whiny high notes, etc.), but they did handle the virtuous passages well. The mellophones had awesome tone quality, which is a rewarding feat for them. The baritones had a tight section this year. They were greatly showcased at the beginning of the ballad, which was call and response at the beginning, and they nailed their part. Kudos to them. The contras got the job done, I guess. The drumline and pit weren't showcased too frequently, but their solo was fun and impressive for me to watch. The guard had some interestingly colorful uniforms. Their work set the mood pretty well.

Overall, I loved the music selection. The drill was dirty, but that can be fixed. Otherwise, it seemed to get the job done. One part that does stick in my mind is the final "company front," where there is supposedly two lines of horns and the image is all jumbled up until the end (going with the "pixelation" theme I guess). It was a good idea, but when they did the hit, most of the horn players started marching randomly like they had no idea where they were going. It wasn't until the last five seconds of the move that I could make out what the idea was. Perhaps if they hit the two lines, jumble it up, and then resolve, it would make more sense. With cleaning, this can be a really impressive program.

Colts, "Postcards from Home" (Actual score/placement: 60.25/4th | My score/placement: 65.8/3rd) : Let me give a little background info with this corps. I remember seeing them last year and being absolutely floored with their volume. They could play LOUD. Also, my friend Brandon marches trumpet with the Colts, so I am biased. With that in mind, they really have improved over the last year. Their sound is so incredibly balanced (rather than loud, which is why I made the referral, but still), and the drill was very clean for this point of the season. That being said, the drillbook was not very demanding comparatively, but they did have some really nice things going on throughout. The visual program fit the music fine. The music book was very impressive and intense, especially considering the Colts were going for the tear-jearker. Well, they pretty much succeeded.

The opener had a huge hit at the beginning, which got my heart pumping and the crowd going. It was definately appropriate to set the theme of the show. "Till There Was You" definately stole the crowd (especially the older people B) ). My favorite part of the show, at least. The movement was playful and passionate at the same time, and it was pinnacled by a kiss between the trumpet and bari soloists at the end (trumpet guy bari girl, BTW). Great duet. The Land Workers had some timing issues at the beginning between the low brass and drumline, but it was settled when the trumpets came in, which lead to some really impressive passages. Speaking of the trumpets, they have got a line this year. They showcased their talent frequently, which was allright with me. The cymbals were rockin' it as always. While the drumline had a few phasing issues with the hornline at select points of the show, their solo was very tight. The guard also pulled through when they needed to...I didn't notice a single drop once (especially with the rifle and sabre feature...spot on).

Funny side story. The Colts were performing down at the Gene Lehy Mall (a lake downtown) at noon. While the corps was setting up, Brandon's mouthpiece could not be found. This is the only performance his private lesson teacher could make, and he was unable to play his two or three measure solo in "The Red Pony." The lead trumpet filled in for him as Brandon just fingered everything. Luckily, as the corps was hanging out before the show, his mom was able to go to a music shop and buy him a new one to be used for the remainder of the season. He did a great job with his solo, so it's obvious the new mouthpiece didn't give him too much trouble. How lucky it was for him, though, to lose his mouthpiece at his home town.

Look out for new drill during the contra feature and humongous postcards to grace the field. The way I see it, this young group has amazing potential. Way to go!

Blue Knights, "A Midsummer Knights Dream" (Actual score/placement: 63.10/3rd | My score/placement: 64.0/4th) : Let me start by saying that the entire time I was constantly wanting them to be louder and more powerful. Me and my neighbor said to each other at least three times, "they seriously need to be louder." Especially compared to the Colts. Their first hit was pretty weak, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, overall they had a nice controlled sound, but when you have the double or triple forte, you need to give them the double or triple forte. Most of the music, however, sounded pretty clean for this point of the season. Never did it sound meshed. The talent in every section was noticable, but the Knights were the first corps to really show some screamers. Some of those trumpets really had some chops, man. The bari line was also very impressive. The percussion had some really good things happening, especially in the pit. When they wanted to sound scary, they would sound scary. The drum solo was intense, but my reservation with it is that it was pretty much all on its own, kind of like a completely seperate movement. No real transition in or out, and that kind of left it choppy. It went straight to the ballad, which sounded beautiful. One of the best of the night. And the closer was my other favorite part, because it was so exciting to watch.

The visual book was very solid and readible throughout the performance. More challenging than the Colts, but also more dirty, obviously. They had some really nice ideas and concepts going, and the execution went very well for them, top to bottom. Kudos. The guard's uniform is going to change, surely, from the all black, because it was very difficult to see them, especially when the corps faced backfield (where their uniform is all black). They had some really nice flagwork being done.

Once again, the corps needs more sound. Put more oomph into it and I know it'll start cooking. I liked the music, it had some really nice spots but others were just so-so. Loved the visual, some really nice stuff there. Just clean it up, and this may be a finalist corps. Too early to tell, though.

Pioneer, "This Place Called Ireland" (Actual score/placement: 51.75/5th | My score/placement: 59.8/5th) : What else can I say but there you go, Pioneer. Such a good program top to bottom, especially since I saw you guys last year. The hornline had some excellent blend, and fit into a really really fun show. Many times during the show left me smiling, and this is a very good thing. Not only that, they were pretty darn LOUD for their size, so everyone enjoyed that. I really enjoyed the multiple trumpet screamers, they were appropriately placed and great to hear. Great job with the hornline, guys!

I very much enjoyed the musical selection. A highlight of the show was definately the ballad, with the beginning centered around a marvellous mello soloist. I only wish it could've lasted longer...once you think they're fully in it, it's the last chord of the piece. "NO!" I said to myself, "give me more!" But either way it was great. At least it had a great closer to end it, so the abrupt ending wasn't all too disappointing :) . The closer was exciting and fun, and tied up the package pretty well.

What can I say, the drill was there. The uniforms couldn't have helped much. I couldn't really get into it, but hey, the music was great, so that took care of that. I had a ton of fun watching the drum majors, they REALLY got into it (being a drum major myself, I appreciated that), so the entire corps was fun to watch. They kept the competition lighthearted and fun. Thanks, Pioneer!

Troopers, "Gold Rush" (Actual score/placement: 49.7/6th | My score/placement: 59.5/6th) : Did I mention my scores were inflated? Anyways, this was another fun one to watch. They definately were the favorite amongst all of the elders, and I spotted some alumni in there too (some people were wearing their hats as well). If it's one thing I love about this corps it's the tradition. The drill was cleaner than the Irish, but had some really obvious gaps in it. The opening numbers got the show going off right, being fast, loud, and fun. You can't beat the trumpet screamers, but then again there were a lot more in this show than the other corps. It got annoying at one point, really, so they overdid it a bit.

I didn't exactly like their rendition of "She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain." I understand that they were trying to be fun and quirky, but I think this was also overdone. Way too many dissonant tones with the well-known theme and pretty repetitive at that. I want resolution; I was thinking maybe a big, loud, big-band like rendition of the theme at the end, I don't know. Needless to say, it left me a little flat. It kind of carried over to the closer, but they overcame it with a sweet ending. It got me on my feet. Overall, good, fun show. Albeit it has it's problems, but in the end they're still the TROOP. Gotta love 'em.

Madison Scouts, "The Carmen Project" (Actual score/placement: 72.8/2nd | My score/placement: 75.4/2nd) : For all that are wondering, the "guest performer" works great. Honestly, I couldn't see the show working without her. She doesn't make her appearance until the second movement, so the first movement is pretty much all anticipation. I guess you would have to know the story of Carmen to get most of the stuff that goes on in the guard, but they portrayed it well to unknowing people like me. And when she made her appearence...well...she really made an appearance. No word other than HOT can explain her performance. :P She stole the show for the colorguard most the way through, although some areas I wasn't really aware of what she was doing. Either way, she really got into it, along with her male comrades.

I think the hornline, classic Madison, is improved over last year. BIG sound coming from those guys. No surprise the hornline is the biggest in their history. The trumpets are screaming as always, but this time the classic trio has really cool involvement with the show. In what I believe is the "Dances of Temptation," one guy will do his spiel on the well known Carmen melody as the woman dances, then the next guy with a different take on it, then the third. It leads into the hornline entrance perfectly. The second movement alone put a smile on my face. The arrangement throughout is amazing, keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. One with a good ear can also spot numerous references to classic Madison shows, including Malegueña (which was really obvious) and Malaga (little harder to pick out). Overall, the arranging was my favorite of the night...I can't wait to hear it again!

The drill was executed very well for this point of the season. I really liked some of the ideas that were being brought forth. They really worked with staging and effect well (oh my goodness was the colorguard on FIRE!). One cool move was your typical company front, but a circle containing the guard was in the middle, making it look kind of like this: -o-. As the front was moving forward, that circle was getting smaller and smaller until it was one line. VERY neat effect. Like I said before, great jobs with the books. The drill is very good (only slightly surpassed by Phantom, IMO), and the music is AWESOME. Keep plugging, Maddy!

Phantom Regiment, "Rhapsody" (Actual score/placement: 72.85/1st | My score/placement: 75.6/1st) : Let me start off by saying that I got a very good read of this show, since this corps was housed at Millard West and I watched them practice. The show starts out with the corps spread around in their respective sections, taking a swing-style pose. The pit opens the show while the colorguard all come out in umbrellas and the hornline do some EM, eventually marching to their spot for the first huge park and bark. From just that, you can tell they have a THICK sound, man. When I first saw them practice it I was left with shivers. Smokin' low brass as always. The show is pretty much broken up into three or four sections, combining American in Paris and Rhapsody in Blue perfectly. It wasn't your common arrangements, but it was definately Gershwin. And, the staff's additions really worked for them, too. My favorite parts include, of course, the famous park and barks from both Rhapsody and April. Don't worry, those were not fooled around with :) . The hornline is incredibly mature, and they tackled the really difficult passages like it was nothing. Squeaky clean for June. The soloists all sounded great, but for some reason the first soloist (doing the well-known Rhapsody melody) didn't use a plunger like during practice. Perhaps that will come with time. It sounded much cooler using it than without. But whatever.

Going along the theme of opposite gendered "guest performers," we had a male character in an all female guard. Side note: I met him, John, after the practice and we chatted a little bit over drum corps. He did guard for Crown 00 and 01, and was the rifle soloist during SCV 03's third movement, if you wanted a little history. He's a really nice guy. John showcased some real talent throughout the show, but sometimes I wansn't able to find him as easily as I probably should have. But he is an awesome addition to the show.

One thing that did strike me as odd was the amount of nerves that went through the corps tonight. Some things that they would do perfectly during practice every time was not executed like it should have during the performance. The double tounging (I don't know if it was double tounging or really fast single tounging...it was borderline) trumpet feature was botched compared to when they did it five or six times during runthroughs. I spotted three drops with the guard, including John's big rifle solo after the second movement (first? I can't quite remember). There were some miscues when marching drill that weren't there before, neither. Hopefully those can all be ironed out soon.

Overall, loved the music, great visual book, and a really fun Phantom show (the first in years, really). The music, while seeming un-Phantomlike, has a Regiment twist that you can't quite explain but is there. And I really like it. With cleaning, who knows what potential they have.

------------

Overall a great, great show. Like said before, the Tangier Shriners did a fantastic job arranging everything and I applaud them for it. I do question the score gap between Colts and Blue Knights...I seriously thought it would be tighter than that, if anything (I had the Colts surpass the Blue Knights, remember :worthy: ). Phantom and Pioneer did the O Canada/America The Beautiful nicely, and Phantom tied everything up with their encore performance. Can anybody fill me in on what that first, really fast and loud piece was? I've never heard it before but it was really impressive.

The downside of the night was definately when driving home. This HUGE bug that I had no idea what it was just happens to land on my leg when exiting the parking garage and would not lay off my body. I had to swat at it numerous times on my neck, leg and arm before I just stopped the car at a stop sign, got out and made myself look like an idiot.

Great night, great crowd, great season so far. Till Boston!

Edited by huskerman15

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome review. Thanks!

Okay, what was that first tune in the encore?

That review was excellent. It left me with only two questions:

1) What was the encore piece?

2) What was the bug with the Kung-Fu grip on your body?

If a review only leaves me wiht questions completely unrelated to the performances themselves, then it HAS to be considered good.

Thanks for the informative review. It is well-written and I appreciate the detail. I'm going to be seeing these corps' tonight in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and will be writing a story on that show for Drum Corps World -- and probably DCP too. Your review has helped me prepare.

Good job and thanks again.

That review was great! The one thing that came out of the review on the Colts that keeps coming out in everyone elses reviews is that the Colts visual book does not seem very difficult. I trust the drill is at least pleasant to look at! At least it seems they are executing what they have been given pretty well. They got a 7.x in visual execution if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by dciguy01

Excellent stuff. I can't wait to see Phantom in Stockton next week. You know, drum corps season is the only time I get jealous of all you mid-westerners. That's ok. Finals 2007 baby!!!

Great review. Good read. Go to more shows. Haha. When you said the trumpet and bari soloist in Colts kissed I almost spit out my coffee! This is going to be such a great season. It seems like there are so many great shows all scoring in roughly the same range(70-73). 4th-8th place should be an amazingly tight race.

How would you like to be the parents of the girl in Madison? "Mom, Dad, I'm going to spend my summer on a tour bus with 134 guys, and their all male staff." I'm sure Madison has this all worked out, but as the parent of a daughter I can't imagine what (initially) went through Dad's head! Haha. After thinking about it I'm sure they are proud parents of an incredible performer (all I hear about is how good she is).

DW