Omaha Was Amazing (review)

Omaha Review

June 22, 2005

It’s fun to be able to write a review again, and my circumstances are kind of interesting—I’ll just say that. Anyway, my vantage point was pretty much dead on the 50 yard line (maybe a little off to side I) and we were fairly high in the stands and so it made to be a great spot to see what should’ve been my second viewing of most of the corps (save Phantom) that night. Unfortunately, two big storm systems decided to collide on the night of the Sioux Empire Spectacular on Monday in Sioux Falls…. This show was a major consolation, however.

(and for the record, I’m a big brass guy, can usually tell whether a guard is doing well, but can hardly figure out drums…unless there’s phasing)

BLUE STARS—Div II 58.8

I was really pumped by these guys. For one, this was the first show for Omaha in this setting and I wonder what the mix of seasoned vets to drum corps there were in the stands. I did realize there was quite a bit of friends and family as well. Anyway, I digress. What I mean to say is that the Blue Stars put forth a very valiant effort in terms of showing what drum corps is all about. Plus they have the numbers this year!

My knowledge of this corps isn’t very good, but I have realized that in years past, there have been some struggles. Let’s just say they have a solid show out there with some incredibly tough drill moves that’ll get cleaned up as the season progresses. My biggest issue with them is their music selection. I didn’t have a program and it would’ve been nice to know the whole pixelation idea and the fact that they were playing Final Fantasy music. Of course, I’m not sure how that would’ve added to my enjoyment. The music was just not there for me; they played pretty well, but a corps rep in my eyes is a huge deal.

Luckily, I was pretty revved up just to see some corps and the Blue Stars hit it pretty solidly.

COLTS— 4th place, 60.25

I loved this show. It was one of the highlights of the evening. The Copland stuff is what I played in my freshman marching band show, so there was a bit of nostalgia intermixed. I think “Tender Land” is just an amazingly lush piece and the Colts had some great moments in the beginning and then pulling it back once again for the finale. Their hits were there and that cannot be said for the majority of the corps playing tonight.

I also enjoyed the color guard immensely. There are some really talented individuals in the guard and I give them major kudos. The flag design was spot on too, with subtle images dispersed on the flags. (It took me a while to figure out that it was a red pony for the “Red Pony” song….but I think that’s a good thing). I suppose the gold flag with the jewels embedded wasn’t anything special, but that’s about the only qualm I had—which is minimal.

Okay, one other gripe was Estancia…I can only imagine one corps pulling this off and they have. Enough said. Otherwise a very great effort put on by the Colts staff and members. I really enjoyed it.

BLUE KNIGHTS—3rd place, 63.1

I did know that they were playing original music and that helps a lot. You understand that anything can happen. That being said, the show was so-so for me, honestly.

Brass was pretty good. I had a fun time listening to the trumpets wail here and there--even with the rather strange music. I guess the bottom line is that while the musical rep was a little out there and hard to get into, the members did perform it well (for it being June). Drill looks demanding and the same thing can be said for it just being early on in the season.

But the Blue Knights also had one of my favorite moments of the first half of the show—easily. The drum break was cool. I loved it, the guard and horns were doing some great stuff that was scattered all over the field, giving the drums the center stage, but I was completely engaged with every section the whole time. The circles and angles and driving beats…I was digging it. Unfortunately, I think this tired out some people too toward the end of the show.

PIONEER—5th place, 51.75

I’ve never been thrilled about Irish music ever, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Pioneer’s show. It’s there and it’s ready. They are doing some great things. All of the elements are together and the audience can see a complete package and it’s absolutely wonderful.

I think the biggest thing that is holding them back is the guard. There are some performance issues I felt that occasionally pulled me out of the show, but seeing some intricate drill and the little embellishments of movement from the hornline pulled me right back in.

I think the one word that can describe this show is delightful.

TROOPERS—6th place, 49.70

Okay, I honestly don’t try to bash a corps too much (and thankfully the ones that I would were not appearing at tonight’s show), but I just couldn’t handle the Troopers show at all.

Now, I think the reason why is that Madison and Phantom were next; consequently, I had this nervous energy to see these two shows all bottled up inside. So I guess there’s a poor justifiable reason for not really enjoying the show.

There are lots of holes and I feel sorry for the kids, honestly. There were some fairly good drill moments, but tons of individuals sticking out of the ensemble both visually and especially musically. I just found some design and performance things to be done without much taste. I wanted to keep an open mind, but it was difficult to do so; just my honest opinion.

MADISON—2nd place, 72.80

I had the chance to see their rehearsal on Monday in Sioux Falls and had a blast. But after seeing the run-thru I was worried about the descent that the show kind of takes. I’m kind of getting ahead of myself, but when you see them on the field in uniform it helps.

There’s definitely a story being told on the field and I surprisingly found myself watching the color guard a lot (a certain woman in a revealing red outfit helps out…). My main gripe is that it’s West Side Story, not Carmen.

If you’re going to have a show with Carmen in the title…well I dunno. But I have a feeling people are walking out of the stadium thinking they have full knowledge of what goes on in this opera when it’s not the case. So that’s my big gripe to Madison to an otherwise extremely entertaining and “meaty” show.

The opener is full of chaos, sirens, and great backfield trills that send shivers down your spine. When Madison plays, it’s loud (and really rather tastefully so). The little references to Madison classics are all there and it makes for a fun show that has lots of tricks and treats that aren’t really gimmicky, which is a good thing. I could only wish for more Carmen music. They really only play one song from Carmen and there is some great stuff that could’ve added a more Bizet. But this confusion doesn’t pull you away from the show too much, so I can deal with it.

Soloists were a little off from what I heard on the Monday show, but did well. I really like Madison’s drill. There are some crazy moments that unfortunately do show dirt (but it’s completely understandable). I think they win the prize for drill tonight.

The daggers are hard to see, but I like the chains being whipped around the field with the big rumble that happens two-thirds into the show (ala West Side Story).

Some of the trumpet licks are kickin’! And the low brass really stood out for me (that bari solo is my favorite I think).

Carmen, Carmen, Carmen…great entrance. It’s stunning, really. She does tend to steal the show and many will want to see this a couple of times to get everything in. I think her absence would ruin what the Scouts have done; however, I think she needs some kind of a prop. A flag would be nice, or even a long feathery ribbon of some sort. She could really mess around with that and do more on the field, otherwise her duration of the time spent on field descends a bit.

And I really hope that they have a different ending in store. “Bolero” is okay…but…yeah, I’m sure Madison has it in them. But Bravo to them!

PHANTOM REGIMENT—1st place, 72.85

I’m really biased. That’s the big disclaimer for the night.

I must also say that I love George Gerswhin. His music to me is absolutely infectious and I find myself humming it all the time regardless if Phantom’s playing it or not. That being said, Phantom solidifies my love of Gershwin.

Rhapsody and An American in Paris are intertwined beautifully. And I must say that the white uniforms are a perfect touch to the show. Those of you who want black all the time—well, that wouldn’t work here. The color guard is great and their flapper outfits work wonderfully (I also here there are a few more outfits to come as the season progresses). Speaking of guard, the flag design is glorious. Each flag has chevrons and they are stunningly vibrant. Having Adam Sage join the Phantom staff was a great move.

Drums are good, but I’m really saying this because a friend was with me as a drum pro and she was digging it. The pit also has some great moments playing a lot of the piano part for the music.

The show just gels for me, and while it’s not typical Phantom, I argue that it’s not even a typical drum corps show. It doesn’t really follow the pattern of engaging/crazy opener, lush ballad, insane drum break, and then stunning closer. Phantom has these moments but it’s all jumbled together to provide just a fun experience. A drum corps show doesn’t have to be brooding or bombastic (which is what Phantom is known for, I’ll give you), but I dunno…there’s just something special about this show that I can’t quite pinpoint.

As for Gene Kelly…I find that he isn’t as vital as Carmen is; however, I enjoyed his performance a little more. He tends to blend more with the color guard, and I like this. Otherwise, I was distracted a lot by Carmen (for better or worse I guess…). He does some great things, and I enjoyed his hat/rifle maneuvering.

Drillwise, it looks nice and rather clean for it being June and it being Phantom. The semi-new visual team shows and that's a great thing. I need to watch it again...I think I was in this strange stupor during the whole show. There's a lot to take in.

While the show is incredibly different, there are definitely those brass moments. In fact, I think there are a lot and I’m a little befuddled why people say there’s not a lot of music GE. There isn’t if you’re looking for a frenetic and intense show. But this is Gerswhin folks! Phantom and jazz sounds nice—really nice.

And Phantom has got to have a different ending. I know they will. I must mention that there was no quiet ending tonight. They ended with some big strong chords that will surely be tweaked as the season comes along.

I think it's very possible that Phantom and Madison will just be flip-flopping for the whole season. But I also think that Phantom has a few tricks up their sleeve yet....

Of course…I may be a little biased here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Pioneer and Phantom played America/ O’ Canada after the awards (which is not how this new retreat is supposed go, I think). Then Phantom arced up and played an absolutely incredible encore. I couldn’t believe it.

Spartacus. Was. In. Your. Face. It was chilling. Then they played the second half of the show and it reinforced the fact that I was going to love this product even more. Finally, Regiment broke out Elsa’s and it got pretty emotional for me. It was the perfect ending to an outstanding night.

Spartacus. Was. In. Your. Face.  It was chilling.  Then they played the second half of the show and it reinforced the fact that I was going to love this product even more.  Finally, Regiment broke out Elsa’s and it got pretty emotional for me.  It was the perfect ending to an outstanding night.

Great review! I absolutely agree with you here. I hope that they have the show going next year and years from now. What great exposure!

I was thinking Phantom, but thanks for reminding me about BD...I should've known....

They played it well too, but when I think of Estancia, I think of Phantom. It's just a natural inclination.

hehe...a little rowdy maybe...it was a fun and pretty crazy night

Yeah it was a great night. The calls were actually these three people sitting next to me...they have been hopping around to DCI comps for a long time, and they were a ton of fun to sit next to. As with the "MADISON," well, they were doing it and it seemed fun, so I decided to join in.