cedar rapids review

Great show (excellent brats at the concession stand) with a few early glitches as noted above. The crowd humming the SSB was chilling...don't think I've ever been to an event where this has occured. There was a little congestion at the main gate with the corps pit crews entering just beyond the gate and people trying to get in and out of the stadium but not a big problem. I still question the lineup...should have been, maybe, Colts, Blue Knights, Phantom, and Madison to capture the big buildup. Blue Knights just didn't make it going on last.

Colts had a great performance...awesome guard, great field coverage, ok drum line (someone needs to write some rudiments, spelled RUDIMENTS, into alot of these corps drum books), and a rather blase horn performance. This show MAY return the Colts to the Saturday Nite Big Show (crosses fingers B)).

Madison was incredible...wonderful, wonderful horn line, drum line was hot, drill was excellent...lacking in the guard department...it's hard to see those dudes in the blue tops on the right side of the field vs. the dudes in green on the left and they didn't do much... and where was the usual about 150 man rifle toss? Carmen didn't do a whole lot for me...seems like 85 years or whatever of Scouts tradition tossed right out the window with a "gurl" on the field. And, as noted above, Carmen was a major distraction but maybe that's the point...dunno.

I'd already seen Phantom in Lisle the week before...much improvement in a short time. Phantom is totally straight...no electronics, no garbage on the field, just in-ur-face drum corps! The horn show still lacks emotion and they should bring that great snare line upfront more often...those dudes cook.

Blue Knights were ok...should have been on earlier. Nothing really exciting about this show but...'tis early in the season.

All in all, a great show for the first time in Cedar Rapids in a long, long while. My hat is off to all the volunteers who worked in almost 100 degree heat to make this a success.

CU in Dubuque and Naperville and maybe a few points in between.

~~~toif~~~

:) I enjoyed reading your review.. I also have a daughter that marches the baritone line in the Pioneer, and I found it to be a fair review.. I've already had seem them compete twice this season.. & will see them again in the near future. Ohio on the 30th of June & once in Wisconsin, on the 3 of July. Watching any corps from the beginning of the season to the end, is always "mind blowing" to me. A work of art in progress..

As for the other corps.. I truly enjoy watching all of them!! IMO, the corps members are just awesome, regardless of what corps they march with!! No wonder I love doing volunteer work for the corps. Of course, I have my "favorite" corps.. they are the corps that "swept" me away the very 1st time I saw a "championship" competiton. I wish them a wonderful, safe season.. as I do for all of the corps. Thanks again for your review.

Go Pioneer!! ^OO^

no, they probably don't play it in there......I was just remembering the old United Airlines TV commercials....that used the music and shots of the Ohare terminal.

No, you're right. On a long concourse you travel on conveyor belts under a neon lightshow while they play tinkly motivs from Rhapsody. I called it Fairyland.

Peter

Of course, depending where you are UAL still does play Rhapsody in O'Hare and it's still there corp jingle! and of course on there A/C. Ratehr ironic that they used that song and are the first BIG carrier to go into and stil lbe in Bankruptcy. Which brings me to my question, don;t you think Phantom might have over used that bit of music this year?? I do liek there show but after the 4th,5th,6th,7th.... It's gets to be a bit much...