Long Beach Review

ryan.  gotta say.  i think your review of the LBC show is totally wack.  you're harshing on some really great kids  - in an early season show.  the fact that kids see these same shows that you knock, LOVE what they see, and then go join the corps actually does mean that their choice, and the activity in general, is part of your criticism.

In answer to Glenn's request for me to "keep the reviews coming"...of course I will. Criticism leveled against a critic (which is the hat I was wearing when I wrote the review) is to be expected. I may have people that disagree with my opinion. I'm all about that. But I can't let what "Acecannon" wrote above without a comment.

You're attempting to paint me in a light that shows me to not care about the kids in this activity, because I am "harshing" (urban talk?) some really great kids. I'll go back and check what I wrote, but I don't think this is the issue. I think the problem here lies in your perception of my opinion. Much of my issues in the review dealt NOTHING with the performance level of the kids, but rather, WHAT WAS BEING GIVEN TO THE KIDS! There is DISTINCT difference. You would be well-advised to make sure you understand that. Besides that, if you've been around on DCP or RAMD for any length of time, you'll know that the vast amount of my writings have been so sickeningly "cheerleader" like that a corps could go out and the field and vomit large chunks of matter out of their horns, and I'd STILL be able to spin it positive. And don't think what I wrote was any cakewalk for me. As an example, I couldn't believe that I was questioning the effectiveness of my favorite drill designer's effort this year--and that would be Rosander's drill for SCV. I think Rosander is the greatest drill designer on the planet. But to have to CRITIQUE my idol's work is difficult at best. You can't go out and say "SCV's drill sucks" and leave it at that. But I couldn't ignore what is an apparent issue--and not just with me.

Friday night to me was not a good show overall. And the fact that I can wear different hats in the activities doesn't preclude me from being able to evaluate what I see and share those findings with folks. And I think I've found the method of doing this without hurting feelings.

I too love drum corps. It's in my blood. I can't get away from it. I'm a constant source of amusement to my wife who doesn't understand this activity nor it's hold on my life. And it thrills me to no end to be able to see an activity that provided three years of some of the greatest musical and marching experiences in my life continue to provide the same for more generations coming up.

I do take issue though with what some "designers" are putting together out there. And it's been a constant concern for others for MUCH longer than me who have a FAR greater history in this activity. So it's not like I'm the only one. I've tended to remove myself from that argument and have evaluated and critiqued what I see on it's own merit of performance and intent.

And to answer your other question. I "hype a corps" about ready to step off because I happen to be a performer when it comes to announcing, and it gets the crowd into it and hopefully the kids on the field can get a little boost out of it as well. After the show, I formulated the review in my head driving home. I began to take notes (and I usually do) on Friday night in my program--but I ended up not really needing them. Maybe that better describes how I can hype and critique at the same time.

Thanks for comments...

ADD: I re-read "Acecannon's" concern. I think he may be also concerned that my comments may affect recruiting efforts of corps because I'm knocking a particular corps, and this would be the same corps that kids go to shows to watch and may consider joining.

1. I doubt any "kids" that would be interested in joining a corps would hedge their decision on some has-been from the 80's.

2. Actions speak much louder than words. I'll trust a kid to join the corps that goes out with a well-thought out production and a show that EFFECTS people. Reading someone, as you say, "knocking" a corps probably means next to nothing.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - we started wearing sunglasses this year.  I for one was tired of imagening where the drum major might be, if I could see.

Hey Ryan - do you think corps are generally more unprepared this year than in previous for the June shows?  That seems to be more and more of a recurring theme.

It wasn;t so much the sun itself as the angle...right ACROSS the shades...on our last runthrough thge previous Saturday, the sun was more directly in our eyes, but the lower angle didn;t create the glare.

Could be the curse of "tradition". The curse of bringing back the old; I mean, they brought back Russian X-Mas, they brought back match grip...they even brought back the white pants, but in a different style. They were getting killed in '92 when they did "Fiddler" and brought back a lot of the old stuff.

I think (could be wrong) that match grip is being used in the sense of "bringing back the old", the nostalgia and such, just like the music and the red & white uniform.

94 is a great show! 95 is too. 95 is definitely weird, but it's strange how these two shows were placed so low, and are just SO good! I'm in love with 94 right now...one of my new summer hits.

We have a winner! Except for you march grip annalysis... but as far as traditional/older shows go, they are hurt (scorewise) every year they try and bring them back. I think the drill for the second half of the show reflects that. When they decided to bring back Russian X-mas Music, I think they wanted to do a very accurate re-creation (so as not to make fans mad that remember the older RCM).

Hope that makes sense.

Gimme a break!

I knew it would only be a matter of time before people started blaming matched grip for any problems they would have.

:(

P.S.- There is no such thing as a "curse" of playing Matched Grip.

Hehe, I knew it be a matter of time before people took my post seriously. :D I was just stating what I said in jest. Just having a little fun. To think that Match grip is the reason the Color Guard didn't have the Uni's until last night, or that they are missing a snare drummer or tenor player on the field is crazy. Or that Match grip is the culprit for SCV having a "strange show" in 95 is nuts. That is as crazy as saying that the Red Sox were cursed for 86 years before they won the world series. Or that the Cubs are still cursed ^OO^

Hehe, I knew it be a matter of time before people took my post seriously. :D  I was just stating what I said in jest. Just having a little fun. To think that Match grip is the reason the Color Guard didn't have the Uni's until last night, or that they are missing a snare drummer or tenor player on the field is crazy. Or that Match grip is the culprit for SCV having a "strange show" in 95 is nuts. That is as crazy as saying that the Red Sox were cursed for 86 years before they won the world series. Or that the Cubs are still cursed  ^OO^

OK Jeffe- point taken

:P

ryan.  gotta say.  i think your review of the LBC show is totally wack.  you're harshing on some really great kids  - in an early season show.  the fact that kids see these same shows that you knock, LOVE what they see, and then go join the corps actually does mean that their choice, and the activity in general, is part of your criticism.

in the end, to each his own.  like what you like, and tell the world about it if you must.  but for some reason (and maybe it's just me) the announcer-staff-reviewer is perhaps one too many hyphenates. 

how do you go about hyping a corps that's about to step off the line then go home and write these withering reviews - or do you write them while you're in the box?

i love drum corps.  i love the dirty drill, the ridiculous guard costumes, the over-ambitious programming, the chances that are taken, the mistakes that are made, the sunburns that everybody gets, even the half-crazy announcers that flub the names.  it's what IT is - what it always has been - and the gods willing, what it will always be.

I think you are taking Ryan's review the wrong way. He is just trying to be honest and helpful. Relax.

Ryan could only make his review of this show based on many long years of drum corps experience and more years of live show watching than one human should ever have spent time doing.

Long Beach Vets Stadium is our Manning Bowl, if you will. It is an icon of the Southern California drum corps experience. I would guess tham most people who have marched SoCal drum corps have had boots on the ground at Long Beach Vets Stadium.

My first show there was in 1963 and I know friends whose stadium experiences there go back much further. It is The Mother Church of SoCal drum corps if not one of them.

Point being, Ryan has the historical cojones to report on what happens at Long Beach Vets and the responsiblity to do it accurately. If the show had been stellar he would have reported it accurately as well and I am quite sure would have been happier to do so.

This guy bleeds drum corps all right. And has for so many years it would make most of us anemic and hooked to a permanent IV.

Carry on, Ryan. Be honest and be fair......just like always.

RON HOUSLEY

Carry on, Ryan.  Be honest and be fair......just like always.

Doing my best...thank you for your kind words of support. It's appreciated. :rock:

Gimme a break!

I knew it would only be a matter of time before people started blaming matched grip for any problems they would have.

:(

P.S.- There is no such thing as a "curse" of playing Matched Grip.

Okay, but take this to the person that did the "blaming" for "problems" and mentioned the "curse." It wasn't me. I just said that this is a strange year to do matched grip given the show concept in my opinion.

Edit some five minutes later: okay, you guys worked it out already and I hadn't seen it 'til now. Sorry. Carry on . . .

Edited by dmfootworks

Sorry I didn't stop down to say hello in person, Ryan. You were busy and I didn't want to get in the way any more than I did anyway.

Re: review defense. The check's in the mail for sure, right?

Oh, and another thing, the announcer up NorCal last week was pimping DCI so hard that it was to the point of being annoyingly easy to satirize, where you didn't belabor the obvious and yet gave enough recognition to the parent organization.

So nice job there as well...not to mention keeping the show rolling when the sound went south on you. Grace under pressure, methinks.

On another note: most members of The 1972 DCI Champion Kingsmen, forced to wait out a rainstorm in the bus at that first DCI retreat, this weekend heard the scores announced for the first time in their lives on Friday as a small reel-to-reel tape of the trophy presentation recently found and delivered was played.

RON HOUSLEY

I miss retreats.