Live From Citrus Canker Bowl

Stephanie, I've got pictures as well. If there's anything you want, just let me know. :)

Now, as for the corps...

I didn't get to see Teal or Kiwanis, which made me upset because one of the main reasons I went up was to see the kids I know marching Kiwanis. It's okay though, my $20 was well spent. For some reason, I only remember Magic making the "M", and not too much else. Spirit was good, Glassmen was good which surprised me- Not a dig on them, I was just surprised at how well things are coming together so early in the season. As for the extended intermission, I was talking to some of my friends from Boston who claimed that they saw dead bodies in the road on the way. That was a little more information than I needed at the time, but I was glad to see that everyone had arrived in one piece. Crown- What can I say. Thumbs up, guys. Boston was good, but the black panels at the front sideline were distracting. BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Blew me away. I will be very hard pressed to predict them not making top 6. It was funny to see the kids sitting in front of us from a local HS with that very distinct "WTF?!" look on their faces when the crowd started yelling. We laughed at them and then explained that it was "blue", not "boo". Fantastic show, and as Stephanie said, the guard was incredibly clean. I'm definitely a fan. Cadets also knocked my socks off! I found the show to be very WGI-like, down to the staging, the amped vocals, the guard unis... But what sucked me in was the strong concept. The moving maze of horns that trapped the girl toward the end was breathtaking, and it's my opinion that they have a very good shot at first or second this year. Cavies... I don't know. I liked the show, yes, but it just didn't say Cavaliers to me. I didn't really understand the whole firefighter/ladder tie-in, but I probably missed something.

And I was kind of upset when I found out that retreat was DM only. That makes for nowhere near as impressive of pics.

This is, of course, only my two cents, and I'm in no means an expert of any kind. Just a good ol' fan. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's interesting...I had the oportunity to work with a Div. III corps as brass caption head several years ago. I was unable to go on the extended tour but was with them for their first 4-5 shows. Halfway through the summer I discovered the Soundmachine reviews section and checked out some of the early season reviews of the show that I had been directly involved with. I have to say that some of what what written was hard to read, not because it was so harsh, but because it was so dead-on! There were alot of design issues, DM uniform issues, and some intonation and technique issues in the brass (in case you didn't notice, that was MY responsibility).

Alot of the dificulties were attributable to the show being written over the heads of alot of the performers, but not all of them were. I appreciated the honesty, because it confirmed what I already knew, we as a staff had to a large degree failed our corps members. I'm not sure why some fans get so upset over negative comments from "reviewers" when I can tell you from experience that the judges tapes are far more brutally honest than anything I've ever read on a review. The kids can take it (most of them anyway), the staff can certainly take it (if they are honest with themselves), but when it comes down to it, just because someone else likes a show or dislikes a show doesn't mean I have to agree with them. Just go support the shows, corps, members that you know and love and support the activity, warts and all.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, but that's been MY experience. :)

T-Mac

I'm expecting a Little League game to break out any minute now...

LMAO!!!!!! Priceless....way to go. Little league Dad just got thrown out of the forum.....BUT WAIT...ANGRY SOFTBALL GUY JUST GOT HERE TOO!

dw

Being a first year DCI parent I REALLY hope that it is better on the road for my daughter than it is in these discussion rooms! My daughter worked (and is working) really hard and says she is enjoying her self. I just need to put a parental block on so she can't read this stuff.

And I thought coming from a high school band program with over 260 members was political and caddy.

Being a first year DCI parent I REALLY hope that it is better on the road for my daughter than it is in these discussion rooms! My daughter worked (and is working) really hard and says she is enjoying her self. I just need to put a parental block on so she can't read this stuff.

And I thought coming from a high school band program with over 260 members was political and caddy.

Have you ever listened to a judge's tape? Trust me, it can be a far more harsh experience than anything anyone here has posted. So your daughter really isn't protected from anything. That's the price of participating in a competitive activity.

The great thing is that in spite of all that, drum corps is an enjoyable experience. But you do have to have a thick skin, when it comes to others' opinions of what you do.

Of course your daughter is having a good time. She's learning valuable life skills such as:

Dealing with constructive criticism. :)

Dealing with DEconstructice criticism. :(

How to work hard and be recognized for it. :)

How to work hard and NOT be recognized for it. :(

Interacting with people she likes. :)

Interacting with people she doesn't like. :(

And how to develop a thick skin, so when the world is raging against her she can suck it up and drive on. :rock:

And you want to parental block her from this?!?!?!

Let me know what planet she's going to be living and working on later in life. I think I'd like to move there too. :sshh:

The people here are passionate about the activity. Sometimes they go a bit overboard, sometimes they sugarcoat it and sometimes the call it like it truely is.

If you don't like this, I assume you've never heard about RAMD? :ramd:

-Travis

Of course your daughter is having a good time. She's learning valuable life skills such as:

Dealing with constructive criticism. :)

Dealing with DEconstructice criticism. :(

How to work hard and be recognized for it. :)

How to work hard and NOT be recognized for it. :(

Interacting with people she likes. :)

Interacting with people she doesn't like. :(

And how to develop a thick skin, so when the world is raging against her she can suck it up and drive on.  :bleah:

And you want to parental block her from this?!?!?!

Let me know what planet she's going to be living and working on later in life. I think I'd like to move there too. :sshh: 

The people here are passionate about the activity. Sometimes they go a bit overboard, sometimes they sugarcoat it and sometimes the call it like it truely is.

If you don't like this, I assume you've never heard about RAMD?  :ramd:

-Travis

You are right Travis I meant the comment as a joke, OH SNAP! I learned that one from my teenage son. She will learn alot as she passes through on her way to college. Thats all. You had some good points.

Just Chill Travis

Just to clarify about the rumor on the deaths, tragic as it was, there was only one death that evening, THANK GOD!

When I got on I-4 eastbound and noticed that I was the only one going east, and the westbound traffic was at a stand still my heart sank, knowing there were still a few corps heading the the stadium.

Orlando traffic is terrible, take people from literally all over the world and put them on a highway that is 20 years behind the times..........

AVOID I-4 IN ORLANDO AT ALL COSTS!

I was wondering I forgot to ask those at the Orlando show. Were any of you around section 231 when that fight broke out during the Cadets show? It was a section over from us. Anyway, the cops came and got some...just wondering if some might have been around the crowd..what that was about?

LOL, you think this is harsh ?? poor kid.

~G~