Cadets/Coats drumspeak/chant

*scratches head*

don't like the drumspeak.... don't care if it's amped drumspeak or not.... think it stinks.

he could yell it at the top of his lungs, and it'd be just as bad. the whole corps could do it and I'd still not like it.

it's not a matter of it's being amped, it's a matter of WHAT it is. I'm not sure your assumption that people are confusing the two is an accurate asessment.

I think those of us who have said we don't think it's effective would think so even if it wasn't amped.

Just a thought.

Edited by kristam

I think those of us who have said we don't think it's effective would think so even if it wasn't amped. 

Just a thought.

Does that put you on the "Anti Amp" and "Anti Narration" side of the aisle?!?!?!

b**bs b**bs b**bs

I was at the Bluecoats practice this afternoon and I realy got to look at the chant closly. While they were practicing it I felt that it was a little loud from the one voice. When everyone joins in it balanced out much better and fit very well with the drill that the brass was doing. Yes, I said that. The chant fit with the drill of a different section.

In their run they did not have the amps on because there was a large storm moving in. Being safe and all that. When they got to the chant the part seemed so dead. Nothing realy made sense and it didn't fit together at all. It sounded like people were just talking on the field.

So having seen with and without the chant, I say it not only adds tons to the show, but actually holds it together. But that's just my opinion.

*scratches head*

don't like the drumspeak....  don't care if it's amped drumspeak or not....  think it stinks.

he could yell it at the top of his lungs, and it'd be just as bad.  the whole corps could do it and I'd still not like it.

it's not a matter of it's being amped, it's a matter of WHAT it is.  I'm not sure your assumption that people are confusing the two is an accurate asessment. 

Just a thought.

Not according to the replies on this topic. No one seems to mention whether it makes sense musically....only that they do or don't like the A/E. It's ok if you don't like it, but there should be a musical reason. As James stated, he's seen the Bluecoats do it with and without the amplification (as have I)...and it makes no musical sense without the amplification. It's not effective, and just plain stupid.

You're correct, yelling at the top of your lungs would be bad (generally), because that likely wouldn't be effective in a show (unless it was a show about Sam Kinison). Even your reason is poorly supported, "don't like it because of WHAT it is". Well, what is it exactly? Musically? Effectively? Or could it be, you have decided you just don't like any amplification in your drum corps? Kind of like the duke who thought Mozart wrote "too many notes."

Dandruff shampoo for that scratch of the head, or get a better moisturizing conditioner.

Edited by 93Bluecoat

Once again, it appears the DCP folk are missing the boat.  By sifting through some of the responses, it appears some like what Cadets/Blooo are doing and some don't.  That's fine, but don't confuse what is going on in the show with what exactly you have issues with (it's the A/E that you seem to dislike).

Funny thing about the people that don't like the Bluecoats vocalization, is that most have no idea what it is.  "I hate broccoli!  I've never tried it, but I know I hate it!"  Kudos to whoever went down and actually talked to the guys in the pit to get the full skinny on tabla drumming. 

Anyone remember the flap over the Garfield Cadets vocal AMEN back in the 70s (or was that early 80s)?  They put the sign up on the podium stating they wouldn't do it because of the penalty....yadda yadda yadda.  But that vocal AMEN made so much sense in that show.  Penalty for vocalization soon was eliminated.

We've heard many corps since using it effectively.  And that seems to be the key, it's effective use.

So when you comment on Cadets/Bloo or even BD or Cavies make sure you are not confusing your feelings on A/E with the effectiveness of the program (do you like or dislike, based upon the MUSICAL MERIT).  There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion, just make sure you know what you're complaining about!

i get it. you dont know what it is, just that they narrate and you dont like it, and as such you're uneducated.

wow, way to win fans.

Interesting topic! I have not heard the shows yet, but it reminds me of something that the '81 Blue Devils encountered. One of our percussion instructors was studying "tabla" and it actually made a large impact on how our drum solo that year was arranged. We would sit as a full corps and learn two or three different chants as part of our warm-ups before rehearsal on the field. Of course it was not vocalized on the field. I found it somewhat peculiar, but I can't even vocalize a roll, let alone 16th notes! I can say "hug-a-da" pretty well at 152 or so!

I personally have not read the same criticism of Coats that I have of The Cadets when it comes to this drumspeak stuff, yet it sounds fairly the same.  Have I missed it or are The Cadets being bagged on more for something another corps is doing?

Translation: Leave my poor Cadets alone... :P

*scratches head*

don't like the drumspeak....  don't care if it's amped drumspeak or not....  think it stinks.

he could yell it at the top of his lungs, and it'd be just as bad.  the whole corps could do it and I'd still not like it.

it's not a matter of it's being amped, it's a matter of WHAT it is.  I'm not sure your assumption that people are confusing the two is an accurate asessment. 

Just a thought.

:wub::wub::worthy:

Thank you! I didn't think that the "drumspeak" that Blue Devils used in 2003 was effective either. It was just STUPID. This is only my opinion, of course...

Not according to the replies on this topic.  No one seems to mention whether it makes sense musically....only that they do or don't like the A/E.  It's ok if you don't like it, but there should be a musical reason.  As James stated, he's seen the Bluecoats do it with and without the amplification (as have I)...and it makes no musical sense without the amplification.  It's not effective, and just plain stupid.

SNIP..

Even your reason is poorly supported, "don't like it because of WHAT it is".  Well, what is it exactly?  Musically?  Effectively? Or could it be, you have decided you just don't like any amplification in your drum corps?  Kind of like the duke who thought Mozart wrote "too many notes."

Give me a break. Don't try to make those of us who don't like the drumspeak look like we are "uneducated" musically. I know what I like, and what I don't like. I don't HAVE to have a reason for it. I just don't like it. Period. I know me better than anyone, so I should know... :worthy:

I have heard both corps live, but it was in June in Orlando. The Bluecoats' version is a little unexpected when just one amped performer is doing this, but when the whole corps joins in it is very enjoyable. The overall effect was favorable back then. The Cadets had two sections (as I remember) one by a male performer and one by a female performer. Neither was real well integrated into the show at that time in the year, but the female performer had little excitement to add, just her voice being significantly over-amped. I found little to like in that. If that is Cadet-bashing then so be it, but to me it is preferring one version that is more musical and enjoyable over another that (at that time) was jarring and removed me from a very good corps performance.

I know someone will read this and say "So you removed your self from enjoying the Cadets' performance because you didn't like one part!" No! Each part of a show should draw a fan into the performance. While a particular section may call attention to itself, it is just moving the focus. But when something appears that causes the fan to push back from the show and think about what he/she just heard or saw, you have broken the connection and diminished the product. Shifting focus without killing the effect is what the Cavaliers and Blue Devils have done so well for years, and what Madison is really doing well this year. Should I say something about a baton twirler...but then I would become a Cadet-basher again.

Edited by Long Time Fan

It's not the amps that bother me. I just don't enjoy drumspeak in any show. I don't care about the story behind it, tabla or whatever, I don't think it fits a middle eastern show. You're right, India is NOT the middle east. :) :) :)

Why don't we just leave both corps alone and let them work out their shows? let the judges sort it out.