Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

Oh, I agree on that...I just don't see how an ISP has any right to stop a person from being stupid, unless what they are doing is illegal.

To paraphrase Pompey the Great, "Don't quote laws to me, we carry petitions"

I'm sure that if the petition site (not the ISP in this instance) WERE to tell me the emails of the person(s) responsible for spamming the petition, said person(s) could have grounds for a suit...

That is, if they cared to come forward and admit that they were attempting to invalidate a petition with multiple false signatures...

^0^

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why use a petition when you can just use peanuts?

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20050720.html

What is a "peanut gallery" and why shouldn't it comment?

Wendie

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Dear Wendie:

The peanut gallery has long been a source of unsolicited commentary. Once upon a time performers played to it (instead of telling it to hush up). Times change, but one thing remains the same -- the audience in the cheap seats may feel little compunction about keeping their opinions to themselves.

The phrase "peanut gallery" dates back to 1888 in American theaters. The least costly tickets for the show were seats in the back and at the top. Being in the rear didn't keep the less-affluent patrons from being heard -- especially not in the intimate settings of Victorian theater. Oh, and did we mention a snack often eaten in these seats? Yep, peanuts. When this section of the audience didn't like the scene on stage, they would heckle the actors and throw peanuts.

So "peanut gallery" came to mean, not just the cheap seats, but the rowdy, obnoxious folks who couldn't keep their mouths shut during a performance. In earlier days, those on stage tried to appease the peanut gallery so as to avoid the salty missiles. Over time, performers have gotten a bit less accommodating.

In the 1950s, the children's TV show Howdy Doody had its own peanut gallery composed of small children. This usage seems more closely linked to the slang of "peanut" for something or someone small and inconsequential. That's probably another reason they shouldn't comment.

Sorry, I just thought this was funny and informative. I had no idea what the idiom meant. No offense meant by this at all. I'm less afluent than most people, so if anybody would be in a drum corps peanut gallery, it would be me. :lolhit:

oh look more trolls.

sad.

i never considered you...you say what needs to be said and claim what you said.

yayay some legit sigs

• 13 years later...

Why on earth was this brought back to life? Mods, please close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1