Seattle, WA show 7/9

I should know better than to stick my two cents in here, but I really hate to see people reading this get the wrong impression.

1. I agree with the replies for the most part and feel the original poster was off mark in being "personal" although he has his rights to his opinions - we are dealing with young people here and their families.

2. Hello to my young Albion, NY friend... I assume I'll see you at Buffalo... be sure to say hello... and PLEASE, wait to see the show for yourself. It's by far the best Cascade corps in history (including the one that made finals)...

3. While many might disagree with the directions that the competitors have chosen - like amplification... I suggest everyone give it a chance... The narration is limited in Cascades show and totally appropriate - as it is the original narration in the piece. Airborne Symphony included narration. This is one of the clearest "theme" shows ever put on the field and the audience is able to relate completely without having to "over-think" the program. Man dreams of flying, Man invents the airplane, Man in his weakness brings flying into war, In the end, Man declares VICTORY over the skies.

4. The original poster lives just a few miles from my house. I don't know who he is but I welcome him to come over for a beer and discuss his review. He was blinded by his dislike of the direction DCI design has taken and took it out on the kids. This was a quality performance by 135 hard working kids and any review should include the positives which he was unable to see. Fortunately, the judges disagreed with him.

5. I don't know where he was watching the show from but the audience response throughout the entire show was amazing. Everyone in the Cascade organization thanks the people of the Northwest for supporting their drum corps. They kids were busting with pride after their performance.

THANK YOU SEATTLE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of politically correct thinking is what history will show us was the demise of our culture 50 -100 years from now

Why is empathy always dumped into the same, generally demeaning category as "political correctness"? People aren't saying these things to be politically correct; they're pointing out things that perhaps the individual who posted didn't think of . . . and probably should have.

IMO, if we had a society which was a wee bit more empathetic to others, we'd improve the overall human condition by leaps and bounds. Or we can continue to degrade groups of people by using their condition or characteristic as an insult, and call that our "culture" (though that's veering pretty far afield of what a culture really is). It's each individual's call . . . but in a public forum, don't expect others not to stand by and say nothing.

That kind of politically correct thinking is what history will show us was the demise of our culture 50 -100 years from now it wasn't a personal dig ...he didn't like the narration or the narrator ...if everyone tip toes around worrying about hurting someones feelings it does the kid no good and it does seattle no good

Exactly. Saying it made them look ######## was not specifically meaning that all the kids are in fact mentally ill. Give me a break. You know what I meant. Stop taking things literally. That's like if I say something is stupid and thinking that I meant it had low intellegence rather than just that I disagreed with it.

1.  I agree with the replies for the most part and feel the original poster was off mark in being "personal" although he has his rights to his opinions - we are dealing with young people here and their families.

Appairently you missed some parts in my review such as...

"These kids have so much more talent and yet they are hampered by their horrible show."

"Lots of potential lost to a really crummy show design in my opinion."

and ...

"Do they have skills to compete against the other div 1 corps? yes, but their show when compared to other division 1 corps can not measure up to what it needs to be for a finalist corp. "

I don't blame the kids at all. They are very talented. I think that, given a better show to work with, they could be right up there in the top ten even. They executed the show they were given very well. They were tight, together, clean, great tone...They did really well. Unfortunately it is all overshadowed by a poor show from a design standpoint. Performance wise, they were well deserving of their 70 points and more but the GE of the show due to design was really bad in my humble opinion.

3.  While many might disagree with the directions that the competitors have chosen - like amplification...  I suggest everyone give it a chance...  The narration is limited in Cascades show and totally appropriate - as it is the original narration in the piece.  Airborne Symphony included narration.  This is one of the clearest "theme" shows ever put on the field and the audience is able to relate completely without having to "over-think" the program.  Man dreams of flying, Man invents the airplane, Man in his weakness brings flying into war, In the end, Man declares VICTORY over the skies.

I was upset at the idea last year but I was told "give it a chance". So I did. I gave the Carolina Crown show a chance. I hated it. The show was good but the narration ruined it. I thought that maybe it was just that one show and that others would come up with better ideas for the mics like actual singing or something. So I gave this year's cascades show a chance, and I hated it as well. I'd say I've given it a fair chance and so far I do not like what I see.

HOWEVER, please don't focus on just the narration being a part of the show only. If you read my review, I disliked it for many other reasons as well. For instance, if they had to have the narration in, they could have possibly recruited with the narration in mind to find someone with an appropriate voice and they could have placed it in the show better so that it didn't cover up the exciting brass parts that the horns played so well. So what I mean is that if they had decided that they were going to do it, then they should have taken the effort to do it right. So far, it has not impressed me one bit.

When I hear some of the really top knotch corps like Phantom, BD, SCV, Cavalier, etc, I get chills up my spine and it makes me want to jump up and clap when they really rock the house. I got that feeling when Blue Devils B drumline laid down their phat battery feature. I got that feeling when Phantom played. I got that feeling from many shows over the last few years. I like the feeling because its the closest feeling you can get to the feeling you get when you are actually out on the field marching. That feeling can't be compared to anything else but it's probably as close as you can get. I even get that feeling from some of the big moments in past Scades shows like their 2002 show or even the ending of their 2001 show. As for their 2005 show, I don't get that feeling at all. THAT is what gets a corp into the top spots.

I have to concur with my good friend from Southern California on this one... this could have been done with a little more tact.

[/quote

CHECK OUT A VIDEO CLIP OF THAT NARRATION AND THEN TELL ME

I will have some video of that show on my website and you can hear him for yourself ...I also a short clip of OC and BDB these video clips are for discussion and instructional/educational purposes only and I have been assured by DCI's attorney's when they wrote me a nasty letter a year or so ago ...(and then I actually exchanged emails with their counsel who turned out to be a pretty good guy ..he had the best email letterhead template I've ever seen) that a short (less than one minute) clip used for discussion /instructional./educational purposes does not in any way violate their copyright and that is all these short clips are offered up as

www.drumlineorgy.com

scroll down to the buttons on the left towards the bottom listen to this kid narrate and THEN tell us what you think check out the crusaders brass on the opener and bd drum feature while you are there

Edited by rogerbaby2001

...check out the crusaders brass on the opener and bd drum feature while you are there

Good clip of OC. That's not the exact part of the BDB show I was referring to but still good none the less. Just waiting for the cascades clip to be posted now. Thanks by the way the clips are great. :blink:

Good clip of OC. That's not the exact part of the BDB show I was referring to but still good none the less. Just waiting for the cascades clip to be posted now. Thanks by the way the clips are great.  :blink:

I KNOW THE BDB CLIP THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS RENDERING NOW i PRODIUCED THE WRONG CLIP ..YOU CAN SEE THE 8-10 YR OLD CHILD (WHO WAS REALLY GOOD BTW) IN THE FRONT OF THE CORPS NEXT TO THE PIT IN SOME SPOTS OF THE REAL CLIP

As for what Mr. Peashy of the Scades was saying ...i have to agree and I think I said in my review that the horns section which is in the clip that just finished going up seconds ago ...really showed up to play and i belive this clip ...while not doing justice to being in fron t of all that power ...at least showed (me for one) that we have some great horn players out here in the PNW...i just didnt like the narration or the set but i did not have a problem with the bright costumes ..heck look at my website I love bright colors

Edited by rogerbaby2001

I KNOW THE BDB CLIP THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS RENDERING NOW i PRODIUCED THE WRONG CLIP ..YOU CAN SEE THE 8-10 YR OLD CHILD (WHO WAS REALLY GOOD BTW) IN THE FRONT OF THE CORPS NEXT TO THE PIT IN SOME SPOTS OF THE REAL CLIP

As for what Mr. Peashy of the Scades was saying ...i have to agree and I think I said in my review that the horns section which is in the clip that just finished going up seconds ago ...really showed up to play and i belive this clip ...while not doing justice to being in fron t of all that power  ...at least showed (me for one) that we have some great horn players out here in the PNW...i just didnt like the narration or the set but i did not have a problem with the bright costumes ..heck look at my website I love bright colors

Yeah I admit, I was watching that color guard kid as well. He was really good. ^OO^

The clip you posted showed some of the nice highlights of the show. Can you post a clip that includes some of the narration so others can hear it?

Serious question for Mr. Peashy.... Given all the controversy surrounding amplification in drum corps, what made the Cascades decide to include it in their show knowing full well that many people would dislike it? I'm sure that even if you did an anonymous polling of the actual members themselves that many of them would preferr a show with no narration to a show that includes it. What was the reason you guys added that in your show, dispite all the controversy of it?

Why is empathy always dumped into the same, generally demeaning category as "political correctness"? People aren't saying these things to be politically correct; they're pointing out things that perhaps the individual who posted didn't think of . . . and probably should have.

IMO, if we had a society which was a wee bit more empathetic to others, we'd improve the overall human condition by leaps and bounds. Or we can continue to degrade groups of people by using their condition or characteristic as an insult, and call that our "culture" (though that's veering pretty far afield of what a culture really is). It's each individual's call . . . but in a public forum, don't expect others not to stand by and say nothing.

or we can keep lowering our standards so as to not offend anyone always seeking out the least common denominator instead of expecting the most from a person. People say it's not fair but life isn't fair ...as for the human condition as a country we have slowly moved away from absolutes ..like right and wrong and we as a coun try are going to pay for it someday ..there is right and there is wrong (sorry this is kind of off the topic but it's this kind of thin king that scares the pajesus out of me) the more we cloud the area between right and wrong the further we stary from the principles that this country was built on....gay marriage ..(oxymoron) is wrong ...I won't go into alkl of the social issues one at a time ...i am not a religious right bible thumper so you can put that label away ...i am just a non practicing 40's ish Catholic who thinks we need to stop appologizing for people and start holding them accountable...okay back to our show !

Yeah I admit, I was watching that color guard kid as well. He was really good.  ^OO^

The clip you posted showed some of the nice highlights of the show. Can you post a clip that includes some of the narration so others can hear it?

Serious question for Mr. Peashy.... Given all the controversy surrounding amplification in drum corps, what made the Cascades decide to include it in their show knowing full well that many people would dislike it? I'm sure that even if you did an anonymous polling of the actual members themselves that many of them would preferr a show with no narration to a show that includes it. What was the reason you guys added that in your show, dispite all the controversy of it?

the right clip is up fpor bdb