Seattle Review

The Narration is sincerely wonderful and is the catalyst for the show.

Please don't trap drum corps in a museum, let us explore and entertain!

-kurt jull

seattle staff

Kurt,

i support you and will agree with you blindly on everything you said, except this one statement. If this is indeed true, then we must realize that this isnt a drum corps how anymore and needs new terminology for definition. If a young man speaking into a microphone is the catalyst for a show that is supposed to present a program of brass, percussion,movement, and colorguard, theres either something wrong with the design of th show, or its lacking in originality to get the mesage across with those elements previously mentioned. Sure, things change, activities evolve etc...etc...etc..but the bais of the durm and bugle corps is drum and bugles......any key, grounded or not.. electronicaly enhanced voices telling a story ahs its place, not in drum corps.

I could also say to your last staement: Please dont hijack drum corps and use it for your ideas and self-satisfaction. Drum corps is and was quite sucessful and forward thinking in its own, defined paramaters. A drum corps is truly successful when creativity and uniquity is explored, achieved, and adored within those defined paramters, true creativity comes by redefining those paramaters, not adding other elements because ideas have run dry.

~G~

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for the rest of the people on here.....

I had asked a moderator in a previously thread to close a discussion because it got personal,

Kurt, hugs, you know I love all you guys.  Keep in touch, you have the cell and email address.

Fran

Fran, notice the irony in your posts ?? Its ok to get personal as long as you approve or its all "positive" or whatever really.......you wanted a thread to be closed because it got personal, and you didnt approve, yet, here you are getting as personal as can be and that appropriate ???

:worthy:

You must realize that drum corps is going to be discussed on a drum corps message board and not everyone is going to agree with your take on things, thats life, thats reality, and everyone has the right to say how they feel, if it gets you so up in arms, ignore it, or continue to debate but rememebr , many of these people who once marched ont he field and and helped to define the activity and lame it something for those that enjoy it today have every right to say how they feel.

Im just curious, did you ever march Cascades ?? Why do you fel so strongly against people having opinons that arent in alignment with yours ?? just curious .

~G~

G -

I had no problem with people taking a direct shot, believe me, I've gotten a few of them on here. Please reread the thread - it had nothing to do with me, I simply alerted a moderator that the thread had taken an OT direction, was getting to the point of personal attacks and thought it appropriate.

I never marched Cascades, my son did, was also on staff with them - so that is my association with them. Quite frankly if I see an injustice occuring I will be as staunch a defender of that corps as the Cascades....I just happen to have more of a pipeline to the 'cades.

And why do I have opinions? Too much #### apathy in the world today....too many people sitting idle while very few step up to the bat and express their opinions - opinions with fact behind them, and with intelligence.

The activity is everything to me and clearly I do not do this for self absorbed concepts as suggested. There is a design team involved here, 7 people who love drum corps. Being on the design team for Scouts, 94-99, I love to entertain the crowd! Nothing satisfies better than a standing "O," which the Cascades are getting plenty of.

The design is inspired by the story Airborne Symphony tells, we use less than 1% of the narrative and drum corps the entire story. The words are part of the original art & we thought it would be fun to do in moderation to sample the waters.

As a crazed drum corps fan, I personally found Crown to be a brilliant production last summer and I am not uncorfortable or annoyed by voice. Cadets and BD are using amplified voice, why is it that Cascades are recieving all the forum grief?

-kurt

I completely agree. This show is excellent and I think that the narration definately adds to the over all show. Having been a student of Kurt's I know that he is capable of amazing things and this 2005 Cascades show is simply that, amazing. It is people like Kurt that make this activity exciting, he has always had fresh ideas and is wonderful to work with. Continue on with your excellent flight Cascades!!! Go get 'em Kurt!

Cadets and BD are using amplified voice, why is it that Cascades are recieving all the forum grief?

Kurt, you obviously do not read DCP very much. If you did you would know that the Cadets have received a tremendous amount of grief. Give the Blue Devils time, and I am sure more complaints about their narration will come to light. After all they have been away from us for a while.