Pieces never done by Corps

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K, here is one for all of you to laugh at, but I would love to hear it. I would love to hear the Scouts perform "Bare Necessities" from the Jungle Book. They may have already done it at exhibition or some other corps may have, if a corps has can you tell me who and what year, I would love to hear it. It has a break down part that I could hear a drum corps just go off on.

While I am on Disney, a cool show idea for a corps, maybe Cadets, would be a "Wonderful World of Color" show or something like that. And using Disney songs that aren't played as much on the field. Or doing a Disney show using songs from the rides.

Well, I will get off of the Disney kick now, but if done right, there could be a really cool show there somewhere.

There needs to be a Frank Zappa show.  I know BD's drum solo in 86 was a Zappa work, but I think a lot of his stuff (ok, half of his stuff.  This is the same guy that wrote a song in 17/5 meter) could translate on to the field as an entire show.  I think this is something the Cadets could definately do.

BD played a drum solo in 1987, not 86 (that was the Channel One Suite championship year), that was comprised of "Echidna's Arf (of you) and "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?" I personally don't think his stuff would translate well toi horns, but YMMV as always.

I'd like to hear someone do Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy" up right. The whole show. A few corps have plyed "Lisbon Bay," mnost notably Avant Garde and 27, but I'd love to hear all the funky weirdness in his orchestrations translated into brass and what he called "tuneful percussion."

I think it would be really hard to do an entire show of Lincolnshire Posey because it's not a terribly long piece, and most of its length comes from the 2nd and 5th mvmts, both of which would be really hard to transfer to the field. But, Lord Melbourne is really dramatic and a designer could have a lot of fun trying to make it work on the field. It sure would be cool to see a drum major conducting some of the rubato stuff in that movement. And it would be awesome if a hornline could pull off the woodwind stuff in Brisk Young Sailor.

I would want Phantom or SCV to do it, if anybody.

Improvisation wouldn't work on the field, and if you mean improvisation in the sense of say...a jazz combo playing bebop, I sure hope a corps doesn't do anythign like that any time soon, while I'm alive. Improvisation in that setting never did anything for me, it doesn't go anywhere musically and it's BORING. Sorry to say that for you jazzholes out there  :P  I'll still with the big boys like Stan Kenton, BIll Holman and of course Duke.

I used to hate improvised jazz solos. <**> I even skipped tracks on Kenton CD's because there was too much solo and not enough arrangement. Then I played in a college jazz ensemble with people who could improvise (I still can't). In the middle of a concert, we would create backgrounds on the spot. The soloist would play some crazy runs, the feel moves into double time; play long notes and the feel goes to half time. These were the most energetic, most exciting, most rewarding performances I'd ever been a part of. I thought, what's going on here, I'm actually enjoying this! :worthy: At this point, the group wasn't just playing music, we were making music, and that music reflected a little bit of our own personalities. Now, I'm a lot more receptive to improv. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, but when it's really smokin', there is nothing like it.

Improvisation is one facet of music that drum corps has barely touched. It's completely at odds with the discipline, repetition, and order that define the drum corps activity. So, if a corps can successfully pull off a way to simulate the payoffs of improvisation - a fresh performance that's different every time, the expression of individuality, the energy and excitement that comes with turning a simple chord progression into a vibrant piece of music - I would call that quite an accomplishment. I'm not looking for 10 minutes of improvisation to a 12-bar blues on the football field, I'm suggesting a concept show that, both musically and visually, features different means of individual expression (after all, that's what improvisation is).

And hey, what's with all the trumpet stuff? Concertos and the like. I don't know if people would really want to hear that. But then again, Glassmen 01's little concerto did quite well, though it's much more melodic than the Artunian.

How can something be more melodic? Either music has melody, or it doesn't. I've never seen a classification system wherein melodies are classified as more or less befitting the definition of melody. The Arutunian, like most pieces of music, has melody. More than one of them, in fact. I happen to think that these melodies are pleasant-sounding, and would be a good fit for a corps on the football field. However, I respect that you don't.

I included Handel and Strauss brass choir pieces in my suggestions. (I guess they could be called "trumpet stuff".) I assume they'd be a good fit for drum corps because half of the membership of a corps consists of a brass choir. Plus, music itself is some of the best I've ever played. Translating it to a field show would be a challenge...but I'd salivate over a PR Vienna Philhamonic Fanfare standstill encore.

I don't see the need to justify every piece of music that I selected. Suffice it to say that these are some of my favorites, and that I would like to see what a corps can do with them on the football field.

Einstein On the Beach, I'm sorry if my suggestions offended you in any way. I don't understand how a couple of repertoire ideas could elicit such a negative reponse, or why mine are so much "worse" than anyone else's. :worthy: Please share some of your suggestions. I've already got a list of pieces to check out thanks this thread, but I could always use some more.

How about Toccata in 7 by John Rutter. Heard this for the first time this week. What a great piece, and I'm not a big fan of organ music.

Hi - my first post - I've been meaning to register here and I finally got my rear in gear...

Someone mentioned Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3 - great piece! I see that as part of a 'Prokofiev' show - kind of like SCVs 04 show. Music could be drawn from the 5th Symphony (2nd movement especially!), Romeo and Juliet (a long work with many short movements - perfect for DC adaptation - and no copyright issues!), with the closer being the 3rd concerto last movement.

Another great work I'm nearly sure has never been done - Sinfonietta by Janacek. Whoo hoo! - this work would be ideal for any corps that likes to play sustained lines (Cavies, SCV, Phanton, Cadets - maybe Glassmen or BK) The work begins with a fanfare and then ends some 23 minutes later with a return to that same fanfare - perfect cyclical structure. Obviously would need some trimming - but once again, no copyright issues!

Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances. Yes, I know all you Phantom phreaks - Phantom 'says' they played this is 95 or whatever - but in reality, the arrangement was so poor, it's as if they never did it. The work deserves a much better treatment - an 11.5 minute treatment.

Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini - OK ok - I hear you - yes perhaps many have played the 'theme to Somewhere in Time', but the entire work as a basis for a show - yes, it would work very very well - even the cadenza!

Those are my top choices - obviously, I'm kind of an orchestra fan - but would love someone to post a link to purchase a CD of this Cowboy Bebop - it sounds interesting. The link to the mp3 did not work for me.

Sandra

I have a bunch of original Philip Glass on vinyl performed by Kenton.

As much as I like it I think putting it on the field would be a real stretch. If anyone could do it Wayne could.

A little more contemporary, I think a Paul Simon show with material from Graceland and Saints could make a fun show.