Pieces never done by Corps

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see the Bluecoats perform a show entitled Giant Steps. If you want to you can make it a triple entendre; the name of one of the tunes, the visual pace of the show, and the...uh, giant steps...the Bluecoats are taking as a corps in recent years.

Opener: Giant Steps, by John Coltrane - Fast and mathematically some of the most difficult music to play. Lots of places for fast horn and percussion parts.

Transition: a little bit of Autumn Leaves a la Wynton Marsalis (off of Standard Time vol. 1) - very interesting time signatures and a convenient lead into the...

Ballad: Autumn Leaves - I don't think I need to explain

Closer: Ol' Man River a la Count Basie - fast, very loud, and very energetic

I thought maybe Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" (same as Sound of Music but in a minor key) would go well in this show...but I'm not sure.

Just wondering what pieces everyone would like to hear a corps do.  The only requirement is that it can never have been done by a corps before.  Search Corpsreps.com if you are unsure.  You can spesify entire shows or just one piece.  Anything goes, so long as none of the pieces have ever been done before.

I personally would like to hear:

Symphony #3 by Penderecki

Akhnaten by Philip Glass (would require narration though)

In Evening's Stillness... by Joseph Scwhantner (it would make a great eire balid

"In evening's stillness..." is one of those pieces where you don't know how hard it is until you take a look at the score and try to conduct/perform it. After conducting this at the BOA National Concert Band Festival in 2004, I can tell you it would be almost impossible to march on the field. The multi-meter thing is already hard enough, but the fact that the brass "chorale" in the ostinato comes in on off-beats (even though it sounds like its on downbeats) while the woodwinds are doing the 5/8 -6/8 - 5/8 - 7/8 shared monody...let me tell you, it was difficult enough doing it sitting down with a very good high school wind orchestra (and I've heard rough college performances of it too). I have a feeling we won't be seeing this one tackled on a drum corps field anytime soon.

Allegro Barbaro by Bella Bartok (another perfect one for Phantom)

Symphony #4 by David Maslanka

Symphony V would be a better choice, but it's all for naught because David won't allow any of his music to be edited or arranged.

A show using pieces from John Williams "An American Journy" album:

Celebrate Discovery by John Williams

The Country at War by John Williams (Drum solo)

Song for World Peace by John Williams (Balid) :worthy:

For New York (Variations on Themes of Leonard Bernstein) by John Williams

Likewise with a lot of John Williams' stuff.

For my part, i would love to see/hear some of the following music on the field (and none of it has any copyright restrictions to the best of my knowledge):

Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten (Part)

Brazillian Impressions (Respighi)

A Full Enigma Variations show. (Elgar)

Florida Suite (Delius)

The Jungle Book (Koechlin)

Moby Dick (Mennin)

Pacific 231 (Honegger)

Romeo and Juliet (Prokofiev's version)

A full Requiem show (Mozart)

Chamber Symphony (Shostakovich)

Symphony No. 6 (Mahler)

Symphony No. 8 (Dvorak)

Edited by Tsar Nikk

I'm nuts about *Riverdance*, so I'll go with that. But only as a full show.

While there is one corps in the US that has done a Riverdance show(Pioneer 97), and a bunch of International Corps that have done a R.dance show; I still think one of the bigger corps should do it...because it really is an awesome show to do.

Cadets or Bluecoats(who says BLOO has to do jazzy stuff forever?) would make this fit like a glove IMO...but I'd rather have the Coats do it just for the sake of seeing if it's a good idea to break you're corps style.

plus, the Coats' hometown is less than an hour from here, so there's always convenience! :worthy:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

It's funny that in no time at all, I see some really good suggestions here for music for corps to consider, yet in the past several years I have seen corps attempt to rehash some classics that have already been done extremely well, and fall far, far short..... here are some that I have.....

Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3 Finale.......

Dvorak Slavonic Dance No. 8 in G minor

Pavanne by Faure/Woody Herman

It would be cool to compile these and mass email them to the offices of the corps....actually, not a bad idea.....maybe I will try...........but, will they listen?

1.) I want BD to play a Cowboy Bebop show - this could be awesome

2.) I Really want a Nightmare Before X-mas show