Pieces never done by Corps

Darnit. Someone beat me to Cowboy Bebop.

Anyways, Blue Stars played it last year (haven't heard it myself)

If BD were to do it...which they will, eventually :worthy:

They'd have to play it without using their cut-paste method they've been using lately, the songs in Cowboy Bebop are waaaay too sacred to butcher like that.

If you have no idea what Cowboy Bebop is or what "Tank!" sounds like, you're missing out...so here's ya go! It's the Holy Grail!...or close to it.

(They're linked directly to the mp3s)TANK!(opening theme-edited version)

TANK!(live version)

The only time a saxaphone would EVER be required in drum corps is at the end of both of those versions of TANK! :worthy:

The Seatbelts(the Cowboy Bebop "band" ) kicked some major ### playing for the show.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apollo 13 Soundtrack, combination of::

-Theme Song

-Launch Sequence

Compared to all of these great suggestions mine is going to suck bad...but I have to answer this and maybe someone smarter than I could actually help me figure out what the heck the title is. It's a John Rutter piece which is part of a bigger work (I think 3 movements), and of course, it's a choral piece. The words that start the song are "Blow Up The Trumpet" which I believe is something from Psalms. It's TOTALLY Rutter, and it's TOTALLY Cavaliers (well...OLD Cavaliers) and it's really cool and I bet would translate well over.

There's a ton of other choral things out there that would work (and I only know this because I married a choir chick--the same one I've told the story on DCP about hating Star's rendition of "Belshazzar's Feast"--and how she said, "There ain't no power chords in Walton music!!!")

Ohhhhhhhh man....she's such a gas!

Will add more as they come to mind...off the top of my head:

Hang Gliding, Maria Schneider (Metheny-esque, great piece of "symphonic jazz", for lack of a better term)

Dance You Monster to My Soft Song, Maria Schneider

Trumpet Concerto, Arutunian

75 Seasons Suite, NFL Films (melodic, stylistic changes, great for a DII/III corps)

Dos a Dos, Karl Jenkins (right up Troopers' alley)

Tam O'Shanter Overture, Malcolm Arnold (Pioneer, why have you never played this?)

Royal Fireworks Music, Handel

Vienna Philharmonic Fanfare, R. Strauss

Feierlicher Einzug, R. Strauss

Beulah Witch, Don Menza

Variations for Trumpet, Don Ellis

The Tihai, Don Ellis

I'd also love to see BD do a concept show themed on improvisation...featuring improvised solos that can add a chorus or two if the soloist is on fire...and other improvisational features, musically and visually...a different show each night...now that would be one for the ages!

Also, I second "Prayer of St. Gregory" - gorgeous!

Improvisation wouldn't work on the field, and if you mean improvisation in the sense of say...a jazz combo playing bebop, I sure hope a corps doesn't do anythign like that any time soon, while I'm alive. Improvisation in that setting never did anything for me, it doesn't go anywhere musically and it's BORING. Sorry to say that for you jazzholes out there :P I'll still with the big boys like Stan Kenton, BIll Holman and of course Duke.

And hey, what's with all the trumpet stuff? Concertos and the like. I don't know if people would really want to hear that. But then again, Glassmen 01's little concerto did quite well, though it's much more melodic than the Artunian.

There needs to be a Frank Zappa show.  I know BD's drum solo in 86 was a Zappa work, but I think a lot of his stuff (ok, half of his stuff.  This is the same guy that wrote a song in 17/5 meter) could translate on to the field as an entire show.  I think this is something the Cadets could definately do.

Excuse me, but 17/5? I know that's probably a polyrhythm, or something else weird, but I've never been able to grasp the concept of a time signature which wasn't a multiple of 2 (being the bottom number). Please explain.

Here's some stuff that I always wanted BD to play:

Selections from J.J. Johnson's album "The Brass Orchestra"

El Camino Real

Comfort Zone

If I'd Hit the Lottery

Ballad for Joe

Swing Spring

Why Indianapolis?(Why not?)

Horn of Plenty

Some great arrangments with a jazz orchestra that included a French horn section, euphonium, and a tuba.

Quincy Jones (arr. Sammy Nestico)- The Quintessence from "Basie and Beyond" album.

Blue Devils Fanfare/Ballad all over. :worthy:

Apollo 13 Soundtrack, combination of::

-Theme Song

-Launch Sequence

oooo, i was thinking the same thing. and love the addition to the sig!! ^OO^

Excuse me, but 17/5? I know that's probably a polyrhythm, or something else weird, but I've never been able to grasp the concept of a time signature which wasn't a multiple of 2 (being the bottom number). Please explain.

17 fifth notes per bar - a fifth note being a whole note divided by 5 instead of 4.

-----

Oh yeah, and add Purple Haze to the list.

Edited by Eggbert