Madisons "Guest Performer"

I've not yet seen Madison, but the question has risen, how do you do "Carmen" unless you have Carmen?

Well, The Cavies did 007 last year without a single Bond Girl appearing and it worked, it really worked. Though I did lose a bet with my sister - I was sure one or more Bond Girls would appear by the end of the season!

I'm anxious to see how the Madison program works - I know the guy in Phantom drew my focus from everyone else on the field when I saw them early in the season.

I really think that drum corps works best in the abstract since the heavily thematic shows began - Star's Medea, Phantom's Spartacus and the like. The literal can get swamped on a football field, or just look like heavy overproduction.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not yet seen Madison, but the question has risen, how do you do "Carmen" unless you have Carmen?

Well, The Cavies did 007 last year without a single Bond Girl appearing and it worked, it really worked.  Though I did lose a bet with my sister - I was sure one or more Bond Girls would appear by the end of the season!

I'm anxious to see how the Madison program works - I know the guy in Phantom drew my focus from everyone else on the field when I saw them early in the season.

I really think that drum corps works best in the abstract since the heavily thematic shows began - Star's Medea, Phantom's Spartacus and the like.  The literal can get swamped on a football field, or just look like heavy overproduction.

And I suppose a drill that spells out 007 is abstract? Or how about red fireman hats and tall, silver ladders (that remain on the field way too long IMHO for whatever it's worth)? While I like the 'fire' section of Cavaliers (due to affects other than the hats and ladders), the baseball gig lasts too long and is not original...I'd have to say that Cavalier's show is a MUCH more literal interpretation of 'a theme' than Madison's Carmen Project.

I think it is a great idea. She is really cute, talented and adds a lot of flash to the show. Her parents should be really proud and she should too. I think what she does and how she acts is exactly what the show designers wanted. She is Carmen. Its a great show.

I would love to see her do some flag work during the show. Maybe with a red flag, it would cut down on a small amount of the dance and still be awesome.

Well, The Cavies did 007 last year without a single Bond Girl appearing and it worked, it really worked. 

But they didn't do it without "Bond...James Bond". He appeared several times.

To say Madison should do "Carmen" without Carmen would be like asking the Cavies

to do 007 without Bond. Yes, it could be done...but not as effectively.

Edited by oldbandguy

I think it is a great idea.  She is really cute, talented and adds a lot of flash to the show.  Her parents should be really proud and she should too.  I think what she does and how she acts is exactly what the show designers wanted.  She is Carmen.  Its a great show.

I would love to see her do some flag work during the show.  Maybe with a red flag, it would cut down on a small amount of the dance and still be awesome.

agreed, i like her in the show and you know #### well if there wasn't a carmen people would be crying, "where's carmen?!!!" carmen IS supposed to be a distraction, the design of the show explains the lust that men have over her. she's fantastic, the show is fantastic. must be a great year for the scouts if people are nit-picking at this B)

I find it interesting how some have said "she's a distraction" and "I kept watching her

and not the corps", etc.

I can understand that, but remember YOU are making that choice. There's plenty

of action going on if you can break away from Carmen for a minute to observe.

That's one of the reasons I love this show and want to see it as many times as

possible.

If any of you have seen her in street clothes in person, she really is not hot. What makes her hot in the show is the clothes she wears (or lack thereof) and all the make up. Think about it, there are tons of "ok" looking girls that when put on a feild with 134 guys is going to look hot.

I am not trying to bash her 1. because I do not personally know her and 2. because her two younger twin sisters march with me.....but I will say that in MY opinion this show could DEFINETALY be done without her.

YOU are RUDE!!!

She is BEAUTIFUL, and I haven't even seen her at a show, I've only seen her at rehearsal. And WHAT right do YOU have to say that. It's people like you that give girls complexes. She does an AMAZING job with her role as Carmen. Obviously the judges like her, the boys like her, and all of DCI likes her. And why wouldn't her parents be PROUD AS PUNCH, that girl is the reason for the show, ahem CARMEN. So get over yourself and stop whining about her... she's in the show for the rest of the season and I'm sure she'll be "maxing it out."

<**>

... over it

I have to laugh at all the posts about Madisons Carmen Project. "Where does she sleep?, What is she wearing? Does she have a boyfriend? etc....." Just as Carmen the Gypsy inspired men to fight about her, So has the Madison Scouts version. In that sence, Madison has protrayed the passion that is Carmen brilliantly!!!

I agree full heartedly that Carmen needs to some kind of flag work. Maybe not an actual flag but maybe scarf like material or a cape or something! You have to see it more than once so that you can watch the rest of the corps but still that red in ther peripheral vision is still a distraction. As far as the Cavies Bond show what did you think you were looking at with the guard the whole show????? I agree with the ladders....too many too long....maybe take some off....too distracting. I understand the concept and the drill inside is cool but really. I totally enjoy the baseball thing, I was born a Cub fan and that is our song. I look forward to seeing all the corps in Indy and maybe there Carmen will have something else to do than just prance around and push guys around.