brief thoughts on alton

The Cavaliers scrapped their evening practice in Edwardsville, so I made my way to the Alton show instead. Sorry, this is from memory 14+ hours after the fact.

Or. Crusaders. I hope the pit player who smashed her hand bet. two vibes while setting up is okay. She seemed to be in pain for a while.

First time I have ever seen this corps. Pretty solid performance. They need to clean their drill though, especially within the close-quarters marching. Also, the male guard members are wearing a type of belly shirt which is not looking good on them.

Blue Stars. Solid performance again, and I remember the mello line as being particularly good.

Pioneer. Entertaining show. Good interaction bet. guard and horn with a coll contra solo.

Colts. Strong horn line, and recognizable music. The ballad "Till There Was YOu" was enjoyable.

Cap Reg. The sundial was distracting IMO. I was too busy watching that, rather than paying attention to the music etc. And one of the girls hauling that thing around the field slipped and I thought she was going to get ran over by it. Overall, they were much better than I expected.

Blue Devils. They will make this a close finals with the Cavaliers. Their horn book is good, and the hornline is better. The show is very entertaining, and I guess that's the point of it all, BUT I can't stand the play-by-play announcer. Thanks to this trend, every other corps will be singing and yapping, because "the Blue Devils do it." This is a bad trend, and it's only going to get worse.

I didn't stay for the scores

John

:) Thank-You!

The Cavaliers scrapped their evening practice in Edwardsville, so I made my way to the Alton show instead.  Sorry, this is from memory 14+ hours after the fact.

Or. Crusaders.  I hope the pit player who smashed her hand bet. two vibes while setting up is okay.  She seemed to be in pain for a while. 

First time I have ever seen this corps.  Pretty solid performance.  They need to clean their drill though, especially within the close-quarters marching.  Also, the male guard members are wearing a type of belly shirt which is not looking good on them.

Blue Stars.  Solid performance again, and I remember the mello line as being particularly good.

Pioneer.  Entertaining show.  Good interaction bet. guard and horn with a coll contra solo. 

Colts.  Strong horn line, and recognizable music.  The ballad "Till There Was YOu" was enjoyable.

Cap Reg.  The sundial was distracting IMO.  I was too busy watching that, rather than paying attention to the music etc.  And one of the girls hauling that thing around the field slipped and I thought she was going to get ran over by it.  Overall, they were much better than I expected.

Blue Devils.  They will make this a close finals with the Cavaliers.  Their horn book is good, and the hornline is better.  The show is very entertaining, and I guess that's the point of it all, BUT I can't stand the play-by-play announcer.  Thanks to this trend, every other corps will be singing and yapping, because "the Blue Devils do it."  This is a bad trend, and it's only going to get worse. 

John

Belly shirts? Elaborate please? I saw gold vests on those strapping young men!

The Cavaliers scrapped their evening practice in Edwardsville, so I made my way to the Alton show instead.  Sorry, this is from memory 14+ hours after the fact.

Or. Crusaders.  I hope the pit player who smashed her hand bet. two vibes while setting up is okay.  She seemed to be in pain for a while. 

First time I have ever seen this corps.  Pretty solid performance.  They need to clean their drill though, especially within the close-quarters marching.  Also, the male guard members are wearing a type of belly shirt which is not looking good on them.

Blue Stars.  Solid performance again, and I remember the mello line as being particularly good.

Pioneer.  Entertaining show.  Good interaction bet. guard and horn with a coll contra solo. 

Colts.  Strong horn line, and recognizable music.  The ballad "Till There Was YOu" was enjoyable.

Cap Reg.  The sundial was distracting IMO.  I was too busy watching that, rather than paying attention to the music etc.  And one of the girls hauling that thing around the field slipped and I thought she was going to get ran over by it.  Overall, they were much better than I expected.

Blue Devils.  They will make this a close finals with the Cavaliers.  Their horn book is good, and the hornline is better.  The show is very entertaining, and I guess that's the point of it all, BUT I can't stand the play-by-play announcer.  Thanks to this trend, every other corps will be singing and yapping, because "the Blue Devils do it."  This is a bad trend, and it's only going to get worse. 

John

OC: Belly shirts? Elaborate please? I saw gold vests on those strapping young men!