Worst Champion of All Time

I wasn't gonna say anything, but I think this topic is not a very good one. Why? Because it insults those performers who won the championships that you are "claiming" are the worst. <**>  Even I won't go there.

I am surprised that those who get into the "it's for the kids" arguments are falling for this topic and even commenting.  :worthy:

A lot of people have said as much. Like I said earlier, this covers the same ground as threads that talk about shows that should've won, and it's actually been more civil than some of those threads.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me, but it just amazes me the "double standards" going around in this forum lately. :worthy:

Boy, the closest I can come to an answer would be the 2000 Cadets...to me, they sounded like they were on auto-pilot for a big chunk of the show. I've felt that way since my first viewing.

I used to be very vehement about this one...that the Cadets should've been 2nd. I based it on GE Music (see auto-pilot above) and the fact that I didn't think the Cadets had the Cavies in Ensemble Visual.

Then, I realized that, unfortunately, Tom Blair chose some of the Cadets' dirtiest Ensemble Visual moments to go to high cam on the original live telecast. After watching it on high cam, I no longer think Debbie Torchia was wrong in scoring the Cadets ahead of the Cavies.

With that in mind, I don't really carry the opinion, anymore, that the Cadets were undeserving of the title...I just like the Cavies better that year. I know that many disagree with me, but I feel that the Cadets' show that year was a bit overrated. It's my least favorite of their 8 championship-winning shows.

That's really the closest answer I have to this thread.

By the way, I hear plenty of emotion in the Cavies 2002 show...especially during Harmony. I think I'll listen to it now

Edited by sooneralum2001

My "least favorite" championship show is Garfield 1984, partly because West Side Story is over, partly because the show is not particularly attractive on paper, partly because much of the show was not all that clean on the night (I think, though, that he hornline was on it), and partly because the show failed to live up to the buzz following them all year and is not particularly worthy of a Golden Anniversary show.

As far as "Shouldas"...

Naaah.

YMMV, of course.

89 Phantom did deserve to win, yes.  But that doesn't mean SCV was "bad".  Both corps were excecuting at such a high level, it's mind blowing.

Weren't you 8 years old when they performed this show? How can you say Phantom deserved to win when you weren't there? I whole heartedly and without a doubt agree with the judges that night. SCV beat Phantom by 1.3 points or so in semi's and they sure didn't do anything to lose at finals. Phantom had a great performance, but rocking Dvorak doomed them.

My vote goes to Madison 88 with most post 86 BD winners in second. Madison 88 was amazing at semis. They probably won by around 1.5 points. They were clearly the best by far. At finals they were so far off until Malaguena. Malaguena was hot hot hot, but the stuff before it was poorly performed. They played out of tune, especially the sop feature and most the high notes, there were tempo conflicts and it was just a little diirty at times.

Granted-if SCV would have won in 88, Phantom probably would have won in 89-that's the only way they win in my opinion.

I...  I love you...

:)

They just let the sounds.........be

They were a single musical entity...and, they repeated the feat last year...even more convincingly actually

• 1 month later...

My thoughts (regarding what other people have said):

When I evaluate how good a show is, I could care less about playing techinique. Not even an issue for me. I care about how good the SHOW is. As long as the hornline plays with a sound that is pleasant to the ears at all time, I could really care less.

1984- Cadets hands down, what a show. It has it all: two beautiful ballads, exciting middle sections, and a company front and chorale at the end. That's a show. Don't ask me about the quality of the hornline, because I flat (hehe) out don't care.

1989- SCV by a mile. The much, much better of their two Phantom of the Opera shows. This is THE best sounding corps I have ever heard, practically perfect. I don't know what you mean by "balance issues," but this IS the best corps I have ever heard. Incredible, emotional music. Phantom had a solid show, but on a completely different level than Vanguard.

1992- I love the Cadets that year. I love the Cavies that year. (Note I cannot say loved, because I was three years old when these shows were performed.) Both had excellent shows, but I would have to give the edge to the Cadets. Great music from the one of the best composers of the '90s.

1993- Cadets and Star had two incredibly different shows, and I'm huge fans of both. It's impossible to compare the two shows, so I won't. Either of them could have won. The musical program in the Cadets show is simply incredible, and the way the show flows is something else.

1998- You may say Cadets had a boring musical program, but I happen to love it. Like most good drum corps shows, you have to know the music and have listened to it at least five or six times to even begin to enjoy it. Why can't every corps, every year, play a beautiful, three-minute ballad like that? Beats me.

2000- Cadets performed the best drum corps show of all time, and that's all there is to it. It's perfect. I absolutely loathe the Cavaliers' show. I've listened to it countless times, trying hard to at least find some parts I like, but to no avail. Incredibly primitive and immature musical design. And to claim the Cadets had a bad performance that night is bull. If THAT can be called a bad performance...well, I guess that shows how great this activity truly is :).

2000- Cadets performed the best drum corps show of all time, and that's all there is to it. It's perfect. I absolutely loathe the Cavaliers' show. I've listened to it countless times, trying hard to at least find some parts I like, but to no avail. Incredibly primitive and immature musical design. And to claim the Cadets had a bad performance that night is bull. If THAT can be called a bad performance...well, I guess that shows how great this activity truly is  :).

To be the best show of all time, it should be good for the entire 11 minutes. They had a cool beginning, a decent opener, a good ending, and some really pointless stuff in between.

That night the Cadets did not have the best show. They were certainly good, but not great that night. Please listen specifically to the trumpets, especially during the last minute of the show, very out of tune.

Certainly The Cavaliers did have immature musical design as compared to what was going to come later, but their show, as a total package, did not have any moments of stupidity like The Cadets did, and was certainly the better of the two products.