Difficulty in DCA scoring

Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?

• yes
    • no
    • Gee, that's the difference in DCA this year!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty).

Have you seen every corps, including Minnesota Brass and Renegades?

I suggest that you don't take the rearview mirror off your corps just yet ... the Midwest and West has yet to get on your road. B)

Well, Lee, it's not about competition or placement.

Trust me, with the Bucs history, we don't talk openly about such things. My point was to refute what the original poster said, and if you read a bit further, you'd have noted the points I made about both Renegades *and* MBI.

You yourself have said it's not about winning. It's about presenting entertaining shows for the crowd. My point was that the original poster is wrong about his percieved lack of demand in DCA.

Well, Lee, it's not about competition or placement.

Trust me, with the Bucs history, we don't talk openly about such things. My point was to refute what the original poster said, and if you read a bit further, you'd have noted the points I made about both Renegades *and* MBI.

You yourself have said it's not about winning. It's about presenting entertaining shows for the crowd. My point was that the original poster is wrong about his percieved lack of demand in DCA.

I read your post. But, declaring yourself second to none in something IS inherently about competition, no? B) But I do understand Bucs history. I am an alum, remember? I root for the Bucs every step of the way ... well, save about 22 minutes every Labor Day ... lol.

Hey man, it's all good. See you guys in a few days.

Lee

p.s. I think we just might have the best drum line on the field this year.

And no, I haven't seen everyone else either. :)

Edited by drumlaw80

I was considering a longer rant/critique/editorial coming on this after the season ends, but for now:

I honestly think that in recent years too many DCA corps are focusing a bit too much on the difficulty factor, especially in the visual caption, and are falling short in the performance area as a result, especially in the early months of the season (June and July).

No offense to anyone, but I really don't need to hear senior corps bragging about how "tough" their visual show is, how many pages of drill they have, how many sets, etc. etc. I don't watch DCA corps to be "wowed" by a tough visual show, the way I watch junior corps such as the Cavaliers, Cadets, etc. Why? Because in all honesty, DCA corps cannot perform/execute a "busy" visual show at the level of a top junior corps, no matter how hard they try..... with a weekends-only rehearsal schedule, it simply can't be done. IMO, leave the crazy drills to the junior corps, who can do them. DCA corps, again in my opinion, can't. And sometimes they look silly trying to.

I think if DCA corps focused on their strengths more (music, personality, honest emotion, audience connection, great soloists, etc.), with their visual shows complimenting all that, they'd be better off for the ENTIRE season, and not just outstanding in the final weeks of the season. (And they ARE great those last few weeks, especially at championships. DCA championship weekend ROCKS!)

Please don't get me wrong here, guys. I love watching DCA corps... and I know there's a fine line between doing too much and not doing enough, in terms of demand. Show design isn't easy, and I salute those people who put their time and effort into designing corps' programs. And of course I don't expect any corps to be "championship clean" in June or July.

But I think the corps, and fans, would be better off if many DCA corps spent a bit more time thinking about their overall show design for the full summer, and not just focusing on "looking good" on Labor Day weekend.

OK.... off my :ramd: . Bring on the rest of the DCA season, and best of luck to all the corps... Class A and Open Class!!

Edited by Fran Haring

What if the Yankees and the Red Sox stopped talking smack?

What if the Flyers and Bruins stopped earning penalties?

What if the Cleveland and Cincinnati decided to play "touch football?"

Wouldn't be very interesting would it?

Yarr!

Just like a Rugby match, we're all gonna have a knock-down drag-out good 'ole fashioned fight in Winston-Salem! Then we'll all talk about it over our favorite adult beverage, bid the other adieu, and start it all over the next week!

Yaarr! I love DCA!

** for those of you who attend DCA in a more 'conservative' and 'proper' way....

We will provide a most enjoyable and proper concert for the fine and respected people of Winston-Salem as we yield the field to our esteemed beloved compatriots in competition. **

Edited by Jeff Zehner

Well as far as the midwest goes, you have Brass which has the show to take it all and its HARD and EXCITING. Methenys First Circle was a b*tch when junior corps tried it, its no easier for all age but let me tell you come Scranton, Brass will be smoking that tune. Drumline will most certainly contend for top honors again.

Governaires are in a word FUN. There hornline can cook and they know how to entertain. And their guard is kicking fanny. Watch for them to compete for the top of Class A. Again.

Chops is also much improved. Their musical performance scores are very credible and everyone who has seen them feels they made some huge steops this year. And to top it off they will give Govies a run for their money at Scranton.

Kilties. (Disclaimer: I march Kilties) Drum line is vastly improved. Horns and Guard are fewer than last year but better. This years show is receiving somethings last years didnt. Applause! lol The corps is better in virtually every category this year than last. Will we make top 10 this year? Who knows? Will we entertain you? Absolutely!

Edited by dans24103

What if the Yankees and the Red Sox stopped talking smack?

What if the Flyers and Bruins stopped earning penalties?

What if the Cleveland and Cincinnati decided to play "touch football?"

Wouldn't be very interesting would it?

Yarr!

Just like a Rugby match, we're all gonna have a knock-down drag-out good 'ole fashioned fight in Winston-Salem!  Then we'll all talk about it over our favorite adult beverage, bid the other adieu, and start it all over the next week!

Yaarr! I love DCA!

** for those of you who attend DCA in a more 'conservative' and 'proper' way....

We will provide a most enjoyable and proper concert for the fine and respected people of Winston-Salem as we yield the field to our esteemed beloved compatriots in competition. **

Ya had me until you mentioned the Bengals. :P

"FACT: The Reading Buccaneers have an extremely difficult program for 2005. We're playing Adagio for Strings, for the love of god. No, it's not notey, but the challenges in intonation and balance are far and above the average corps fare. We're also playing Britten's Young Person's Guide. You want to tell me that's not a challenging piece? Try checking out the multi-meter section towards the end (3/4 against 6/8). You might also want to watch and listen to the drumline sometime (especially watch the cymbals).

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty)."

Wow some people are talking smack, I use to like you guys but after reading this, I am hoping for somebody to put you back in line (on the field).

everybody I am sure think that there show is the best, but they don't come here and talk smack about it, other then the Renegades thousand topic per day to talk about everything and anything that is happening to them, even they don't talk smack.

Dave