Difficulty in DCA scoring

Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?

• yes
    • no
    • Gee, that's the difference in DCA this year!

"FACT: The Reading Buccaneers have an extremely difficult program for 2005. We're playing Adagio for Strings, for the love of god. No, it's not notey, but the challenges in intonation and balance are far and above the average corps fare. We're also playing Britten's Young Person's Guide. You want to tell me that's not a challenging piece? Try checking out the multi-meter section towards the end (3/4 against 6/8). You might also want to watch and listen to the drumline sometime (especially watch the cymbals).

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty)."

Wow some people are talking smack, I use to like you guys but after reading this, I am hoping for somebody to put you back in line (on the field).

everybody I am sure think that there show is the best, but they don't come here and talk smack about it, other then the Renegades thousand topic per day to talk about everything and anything that is happening to them, even they don't talk smack.

Dave

biased much?

99.99% of all Renegades posts, as well as other DCA corps in here are not smack talk and the like.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reading Buccaneers discourage its members to make these kinds of statements, although everyone is entitled to express their opinions.

Please do not interpret one corps member's opinion to speak for the entire organization.

We encourage our members to make these kind of statements on the field, not on public bulletin boards.

Peace,

It's pretty obvious that the guy that started the thread hasn't seen anyone this summer, and is going off of online reviews.

FACT: The Reading Buccaneers have an extremely difficult program for 2005. We're playing Adagio for Strings, for the love of god. No, it's not notey, but the challenges in intonation and balance are far and above the average corps fare. We're also playing Britten's Young Person's Guide. You want to tell me that's not a challenging piece? Try checking out the multi-meter section towards the end (3/4 against 6/8). You might also want to watch and listen to the drumline sometime (especially watch the cymbals).

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty).

FACT: The Bushwackers aren't slouching this summer either. While I haven't seen thier visual yet, thier music is no joke. They have a tremendously difficult musical book, and they are playing it well.

FACT: DCA corps on the whole are incredibly exciting, and it goes way beyond the "contenders". Bucs are probably more exciting than they've been since 1980. Cabs are presenting an exciting program even with the problems the corps have been having. Bush is as exciting as they've been in many years. Oh, yea...though I haven't seen them yet, I'm pretty sure Renegades aren't slacking in the excitement department either, nor are MBI.

My suggestion to you is to come out and see a show. And if you have, try opening your eyes and ears next time.

The Reading Buccaneers discourage its members to make these kinds of statements, although everyone is entitled to express their opinions. 

Hey man, as long as Jeff Zehner leaves the Cincinnati Bengals out of this, it's all good. B)

Hey man, as long as Jeff Zehner leaves the Cincinnati Bengals out of this, it's all good.  B)

Do not taunt me so.

Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals

110399borgman_600x391.jpg

I am now done with the Bengals. B)

Next Topic?

Do not taunt me so.

I am now done with the Bengals.  B)

Next Topic?

MUST RESIST BENGALS ... MUST RESIST ... ARRRGHHHHH ..... ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

rjohnson3_1024.jpg

Edited by drumlaw80

Hey man, as long as Jeff Zehner leaves the Cincinnati Bengals out of this, it's all good.  B)

Carson Palmer couldnt carry my bass drum's stand

I was considering a longer rant/critique/editorial coming on this after the season ends, but for now:

I honestly think that in recent years too many DCA corps are focusing a bit too much on the difficulty factor, especially in the visual caption, and are falling short in the performance area as a result, especially in the early months of the season (June and July).

No offense to anyone, but I really don't need to hear senior corps bragging about how "tough" their visual show is, how many pages of drill they have, how many sets, etc. etc.  I don't watch DCA corps to be "wowed" by a tough visual show, the way I watch junior corps such as the Cavaliers, Cadets, etc.    Why?    Because in all honesty, DCA corps cannot perform/execute a "busy" visual show at the level of a top junior corps, no matter how hard they try..... with a weekends-only rehearsal schedule, it simply can't be done.  IMO, leave the crazy drills to the junior corps, who can do them.  DCA corps, again in my opinion, can't.  And sometimes they look silly trying to.

I think if DCA corps focused on their strengths more (music, personality, honest emotion, audience connection, great soloists, etc.), with their visual shows complimenting all that, they'd be better off for the ENTIRE season, and not just outstanding in the final weeks of the season.  (And they ARE great those last few weeks, especially at championships. DCA championship weekend ROCKS!)

Please don't get me wrong here, guys. I love watching DCA corps... and I know there's a fine line between doing too much and not doing enough, in terms of demand.  Show design isn't easy, and I salute those people who put their time and effort into designing corps' programs.  And of course I don't expect any corps to be "championship clean" in June or July. 

But I think the corps, and fans, would be better off if many DCA corps spent a bit more time thinking about their overall show design for the full summer, and not just focusing on "looking good" on Labor Day weekend.

OK.... off my  :ramd: .  Bring on the rest of the DCA season, and best of luck to all the corps... Class A and Open Class!!

i think that was well said!

The model is derived achievement...