Anti Ampers unite! Does the movement have legs

Before I say anything, know that I am not a fan of amped voices...and I'm really not a fan of amplification all together.  That being said, I accept amplification.  Why?...where else am I going to go for this level of performance by 14-22 year old kids?  There is no other organization on the planet that is anything like DCI.  Amplification or not, I love drum corps.  Am I a push-over?...maybe...but I can't just walk away from something that I love.

It's kind of sad that DCI has a stranglehold on drum corps.  There's nothing to challenge it.  But, there's nothing we can do about it.  So, I accept it for what it is...or, what most of you may say, what it has become.

For those who truly hate amplification to the point of not going to the shows anymore - there's always DCA.

While I'm discouraged by your "it's the way it is so just except it" attitude, you ended with a good point, put your support in a division that doesn't support amplification like DCA. I know I'm looking at joining next year and if it all goes well, that's the division I will be putting my support and effort in to.

While I too will not be buying cds, dvds and souvies from junior corps, not really because I'm anti-amp, but because of the amplification, I just don't like the shows being put on the field. There's more reasons than that but it's really based on the fact that the music and instrumentation that is being used now in drum corps doesn't appeal to me any more. Plain and simple.

Of course my mind can change, but that's the way I feel now.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that's the idea, the biggest offenders of amplification...with vocalization should go first! :P So that should be something like this:

1)THE Cadets

2) Blue Devils

3) Bluecoats

4) Cavaliers

5) Crown

6) SCV

7) Glassmen

8) Phantom

Yes, Phantom or Glassmen should go on last. I thought it was the top 9, only the top 8 from this weekend! :) Dang, I just thought about something, I left out Madison! :worthy: :sshh:

Edited by Lancerlady

While I'm discouraged by your "it's the way it is so just except it" attitude, you ended with a good point, put your support in a division that doesn't support amplification like DCA. I know I'm looking at joining next year and if it all goes well, that's the division I will be putting my support and effort in to.

While I too will not be buying cds, dvds and souvies from junior corps, not really because I'm anti-amp, but because of the amplification, I just don't like the shows being put on the field. There's more reasons than that but it's really based on the fact that the music and instrumentation that is being used now in drum corps doesn't appeal to me any more. Plain and simple.

Of course my mind can change, but that's the way I feel now.

the problem is, it is a done deal, and they don't care if you like it or not.

so you have two options:

go and suffer

or not go..and possibly suffer from withdrawal.

I miss DCI. But I know if i went i'd be miserable, and probably say something out loud that would start a war

funny thing...my wife is anti amp to a point, yet she actually isn't missing DCI.

Amps are a done deal for now. But, If you get punched in the face are you going to stand there and cry or are you going to fight back? It's 7: something am in San Antonio. I was just talking to a bunch of DCI people, mostly advance staff a few judges. I hear SCV will make Murfreesboro. Lets see how that plays out. It could be just wishful thinking on their part. Or a plan. Enough with the DCI is fixed talk. :P Any way workout. breakfast. Drum Corps! BTW. I couldn't wear my AMP YOUR UDU shirt. too small,tootight. might get arrested.

That's OK, we don't mind...do we boys ???!!!

Not at all! Be a maverick, Sexyguardcap - wear it anyway!

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

What good does it do to screw over the corps performance order in tenn.? Everyone there is going to be amped anyway. They will just inflate the first score and hold everyone back from there. I have said it before, amps are not changing drum corps. they are just making the things we have been doing for years more audible.

Yes that's the idea, the biggest offenders of amplification...with vocalization should go first! :P So that should be something like this:

1)THE Cadets

2) Blue Devils

3) Bluecoats

4) Cavaliers

5) Crown

6) SCV

7) Glassmen

8) Phantom

Yes, Phantom or Glassmen should go on last. I thought it was the top 9, only the top 8 from this weekend! :) Dang, I just thought about something, I left out Madison! :worthy:  :sshh:

It's rather funny that you put the Cadets on first over Blue Devils. Have you seen both shows? Blue Devils have far more narration and vocalization than the Cadets. I guess your feelings for Hop are coming into play again.

What good does it do to screw over the corps performance order in tenn.?  Everyone there is going to be amped anyway.  They will just inflate the first score and hold everyone back from there.  I have said it before,  amps are not changing drum corps.  they are just making the things we have been doing for years more audible.

Well, just 'cause you said it dont make it true now huh ?? I happen to disagree with you. Amps are changing drum corps, they are taking a step BACK away from true inovation and turning them into just another group of marching bands who need crutches to tell stories and toys to play out new ideas insread of being truly creative and working within set parameters, pushing the limits, not altering and changing them for their own self-serving needs, wants, and desires.

~G~