Shows to put on my MP3 Player

5 hours ago, nsxanax said:

'89 Finals. Top to bottom... outstanding.

For a long time, the 1989 DCI finals was the only drum corps CD I owned -- although strictly speaking, that two CD set, which I found in a secondhand store in Dayton in August 1992 (and I had no idea where to buy any other years!), says in its liner notes that its contents were recorded variously over three days, and in fact at least part of the Blue Devils performance is not from Finals. I had never seen most of the shows, and it was not until I acquired the DVD nearly a decade later that I learned about the infamous frack.

But what inspired you to resurrect this 14-year-old thread today?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jake W. said:

What's with the resurrections of all these 10-15 year old threads this season??

In my case, I was musing a couple weeks ago about this year being the end of a decade and was looking back at retrospective threads from 2009 when I stumbled across that woodwinds and WGI thread that had been first posted ten years to the day before I came across it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake W. said:

What's with the resurrections of all these 10-15 year old threads this season??

OMG, I am such a dope.  I have been looking at these lists thinking, "why the hell are all these recommendations from the last century?"🤔

MP3 Player should have been first clue.

Edited by runyancm
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For a long time, the 1989 DCI finals was the only drum corps CD I owned -- although strictly speaking, that two CD set, which I found in a secondhand store in Dayton in August 1992 (and I had no idea where to buy any other years!), says in its liner notes that its contents were recorded variously over three days, and in fact at least part of the Blue Devils performance is not from Finals. I had never seen most of the shows, and it was not until I acquired the DVD nearly a decade later that I learned about the infamous frack.

But what inspired you to resurrect this 14-year-old thread today?

Doh!!!

Wasn’t paying attention to the date of the last post. 

Just call me Lazarus...

You know, I copied the ‘89 PBS broadcast on my VHS recorder,  the night it aired that season. It wasn’t until I purchased the MP3, that I heard the BD’s, non-frack version of If We Were In Love. My understanding is that was from the Semi’s performance.

Still standby my recommendation. 

In fact, Suncoast Sound became one of my fav’s.

Edited by nsxanax
Syntax

38 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

In fact, Suncoast Sound became one of my fav’s.

As with much else that I didn't know when I stumbled across that '89 CD, I had no clue that the 1989 show was a remake of one Suncoast had done a few years earlier.

• Like 1