Question....

Guest DrumCorpFan
I hope everyone understands why I'm about to write this, and if I'm seen as a Cadets-basher...so be it. I would say the same about any corps doing the same thing.

IMO, this is part of the "show." And being part of the show, even as a "scene-setter", it should be subject to timing and penalty rules. If this is intended to enhance the show, the timing should start when she enters the stands, and she should be subject to boundary penalties as well.

C'mon, if every corps did a "teaser", there would be way too much distraction from other corps' performances. This smells really familiar in the "look at us!" Cades mindset, kinda like the single person spinning in retreats a couple of years ago...and the fire station sirens conveniently going off in Madison.

Everyone has 11 ½ minutes to perform and sell their show. Why should Cadets, or anyone else, get more?

Garry

Corps have been "performing" before the gun for decades. This is not new. Look at Bayonne's entrance in 1980. How about Glassmen in 1996. Watch Madison or Phantom take the field and the line they form. For that matter, look at the Cadets block and Big George trying to recapture his youth (couldn't resist that one). How about the Cadets moving warm-up. There are more, but my point is made. Nobody had someone in the stands??? Wrong again. Bones makes his appearances. In 1986, Troopers had someone play a bugle call in the stands as they took the field. Should all these corps be judged from the minute we see them. How about the Scouts Pirate show? It was going on long after the corps left the field. That captain lay dead on the field while the next corps was warming up and was finally carried off by a pirate. Judge it? Mega overtime penalties then. What if someone anti-Cadets was doing this in order to get them penalized?

Nah, leave well enough alone.

Guest DrumCorpFan
No - she's only in the stands prior to the show starting and during intermissions.  Her interactions include stating that, "I have somewhere to be at 9:37" (or whatever the Cadets' step-off time is that night) and "do you know where I can find 1313 Mockingbird Lane?" etc.

It sounds quite interesting and kind of cool if you ask me.

By the way, what's with the suitcase?  Does it help represent that she's on a journey or is there another possible meaning?

I think that's where she carries her crack! :P

I enjoyed the preshow by the schoolgirl. It only adds to the whole package the Cadets are presenting this year. As long as she isn't distracting the audience while the other corps are performing, I don't see any problem with it. The Cadets are just providing another moment where the fans can interact with the members, similar to what they have been doing recently at the souvenir booth. By having members at the souvenir booth greet you and answer questions, and by having a schoolgirl ask you where she's going, you can get a whole lot of Cadets all in one night. What more could you ask for?

Plus, those four schoolgirls are cute. I say keep them.

In 1986, Troopers had someone play a bugle call in the stands as they took the field. 

Nope--that was not planned or part of our show. I don't know if it was a fan or an alumn, but that was not an unusual occurance back then, and more than just Finals night.

I find the concept clever. Anyone who's been around DCA for the past forever can relate it to Caballeros DM Jimmy Russo "working the crowd" before their performances. I thought that was a nice touch, and this a more creative extension.

I'm still a little uncomfortable with the "school girl" symbolism though. With a show about dreams and nightmares, it's not difficult to see the image taking a wrong turn. Or maybe It's just the over-protective father/grandfather in me.

so...  at the wichita show, the school girl w/the suitcase type bag thing comes walking up the stands....  the steps right by me to be exact.  It's before the show has even started, she's fully dressed, carrying the suitcase and appears to be looking for something.

she then sits down (right of the 50, very top for those interested) in a not so full section, and then disapears about 3 minutes later.

can anyone explain why she did this?  does she usually do this at every show?  or what was the special occassion for the strange visit?

:worthy:

and please, no slamming, bashing, etc.  I just want an honest answer to the question.  :)

The school girl persona comes from Kill Bill...the girl bodyguard of Lucy Lui's character, O-REN, wears a school girl uniform.

She is looking for 1313 Mulberry St. (the address on the door). This is, as I understand it, the address of the Holy Name Church in Garfield, NY.

Also the guard uni's (white with black stripe are very similar in look to the outfit Uma Thurman's character wears during the fight scene in Kill Bill where she is doing away with about 50 of Lucy Lui's gang (although Uma's outfit looks orange tinted).

We saw her at the Denver show during intermission wandering around the second deck of the stadium...but not speaking to anyone.

I find the concept clever. Anyone who's been around DCA for the past forever can relate it to Caballeros DM Jimmy Russo "working the crowd" before their performances.

That's not limited to Jimmy, tho...even I did it a little last year...although I don't have 3 decades of practice like Jimmy!