Question....

I accept your position in the examples I have listed.  You did not respond to one, that of the pirate show in which the overthrown captain is laying on the field and finally carried off while the next corps was well into its warm-up.  How do you feel about that one?

Personally, I think he should have been carried off with the rest of the corps. Leaving him there into the next corps' warmup is a violation of their space.

I'm just hoping they didn't get halfway up the tunnel and realize they just left him there. Good discipline on his part that he didn't move...and lucky no one in the next corps stepped on him!

Garry

Not odd at all...Boston's been accused of being the corps version of Tarpon Springs HS for years now...and didn;t Steve Brubaker test out ideas for Cavies on marching bands first?

benefits for both programs...the bands get a top notch drill, and Cavuies can have the ideas beta-tested by someone else first...

...and show designers can get paid for the same show twice.

:worthy:

Garry

Guest DrumCorpFan
This idea may be new for a Top 12 corps, but I've seen marching bands here in Arizona doing things like this for years.

How odd.....Cadets doing things done by marching bands...................

So, once again drum corps imitating marching band. The Hopkins vision.

So, once again drum corps imitating marching band.  The Hopkins vision.

Feel bitter much? :P

• Like 1

well the Cadets are only as guilty as any other corps out there. What do all the big name designers do in the corps off season? They go direct their bands where they will often "test run" new ideas before bringing them to a DCI field. That includes big name staffers at Cavaliers, SCV, BD, Cadets....everyone. Lots of bands have "beaten" corps to certain ideas. Its not just that evil George Hopkins ruining drum corps again.

• Like 1

Its not just that evil George Hopkins ruining drum corps again.

Yes, it is! ^0^

Heeheeheeheeheeheehee...

Garry

PS Hi, Ben!

well the Cadets are only as guilty as any other corps out there.  What do all the big name designers do in the corps off season?  They go direct their bands where they will often "test run" new ideas before bringing them to a DCI field.  That includes big name staffers at Cavaliers, SCV, BD, Cadets....everyone.  Lots of bands have "beaten" corps to certain ideas.  Its not just that evil George Hopkins ruining drum corps again.

I totally agree. Cadets' drum staff and Dartmouth High School's (MA) are almost one in the same. That's why you see a lot of similarities between high school band and drum corps. Tom wrote warmups last year and played them at Dartmouth; now he's using them at Cadets. There are also many similarities between Cadets shows and Dartmouth's indoor shows

Dartmouth 05 > Cadets 02/05

Dartmouth 04 > Cadets 96

Dartmouth 02 > Cadets 02

Dartmouth 99 > Cadets 84/94

It's pretty cool to notice how he changes his writing for the same music, usually making the second time better than the first.

• Like 1

Or why it was necessary to have a fire station light up the trucks and turn on the sirens? Aren't electric lights and electronic sirens illegal then? Especially when they're not just outside the field and pit-box, but outside the stadium itself?

Here's what happened with the fire station in Madison for finals in 2002. The Cadets at the time practiced in site of the World Trade Center and decided after 9/11 that their 2002 show would have a patriotic theme. That show ended most of the summer with a sort of re-enactment of the flag-raising at Iwo Jima. For finals, the Cadets added a second, simultaneous flag-raising, this time by as if by firefighters in the ruins of the Trade Center.

The Madison fire house immediately outside the gates of Camp Randall apparently had been alerted to the fact that the Cadets would have an homage to the New York firefighters. They had their trucks spin the lights and sound the sirens.

Now a lot of people around here think George Hopkins can do anything. I'm here to tell you that whatever control you might think he has over the other DCI directors, the Madison Fire Department still thinks for itself. I think the only reasonable interpretation of the events of that evening would be that the Madison firefighters wanted to honor their brothers who died and grieved at the Trade Center just as the Cadets were. Hopkins may have suggested the opportunity. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing illegal either.

Ditto for the school girl in the stands. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing illegal. And for those who are surprised to connect her with what they see on the field later, it will surely will be special.

HH

• Like 1

The Madison fire house immediately outside the gates of Camp Randall apparently had been alerted to the fact that the Cadets would have an homage to the New York firefighters. They had their trucks spin the lights and sound the sirens.

HH

Reminds me of something I saw from the stands in '96 - I THINK this happened at Camp Randall Stadium - Blue Devils were performing their "Club Blue" show when emergency vehicles went rolling past the back stands with lights and sirens on. I remember wondering if they would see an increased GE score from this event. It just fit so well! :P

Similarly - and I KNOW for darned certain that this did happen at Camp Randall in '96 - It rained during Regiment's Defiant Heart show... Imagine... The Intro to the 3rd Ballet... Dark, brooding pit and contra, accompanied by a steady downpour - That is when the show started to make sense for me and I've secretly "loved" the '96 Regiment ever since. :beer:

A lot of "things" can happen outside the design of a show that make it "better" or "work" to enhance it in some way. Mother Nature, fire engines, it's ALL GOOD!

-TGB

*PS - The only "ambient" help we got in that '96 season was during our second home show in Des Plaines - when a DC-10 went screaming overhead during Joe Bello's baritone solo in the ballad... <sigh> Thank you, O'Hare Airport! :beer:

• Like 1