Thee I don't care who wins/won topic

2015- The only one I didn't want to win out of the top 5 was the Blue Devils, and we all know how that turned up. 

2017- I loved all of the top 6, except for Crown, who thankfully didn't win. 

Edited by 32RH
  • Like 1

2014 definitely. Felliniesque, OOTW, Tilt, Scheherazade, Immortal, Home is Where the Heart is, Swan Lake, That One Second, and Animal Farm were all such fantastic and enjoyable productions. 

The only ones I didn't really care for that year were Cadets' Madison's, and Crossmen's show 

• Like 5

This was an old post that someone dug up. A good post though. 

I interpret the OP's initial post as being two questions: a) are there times when you just don't care who wins?, and b) what years did you feel the top 12, top 25, were so pleasing that your enjoyment made you not care about who won? 

As for the first, who won in each class or division always mattered to me through my early years until I was in my mid 30s. I loved the artistic and entertaining side of drum corps. Always did. But it is a competition too and I wanted to see fair placement and excellence rewarded. Plus you have your favorites, and like most of us you will typically root harder for your favorites. Come my mid 30s, as my career continued to thrive and grow (with some stress at times, some frustration at times, to go along with the good times) it became more clear to me that I just wanted to enjoy DCI and all its' corps. 

As for years in which the top 12 or top 25 were especially strong for my tastes, I would say the following: (not in order of best to worst, but past to present)

1. 1982 Montreal
  2. 1984 Atlanta (G-Tech)
  3. 1989 Kansas City
  4. 1990 Buffalo
  5. 1992 Madison (maybe one of the best of the bunch)
  6. 1995 Buffalo
  7. 1998 Orlando
  8. 2000 Washington, D.C. (University of Maryland)
  9. 2008 Bloomington
  10. 2011 Indianapolis
  11. 2016 Indianapolis

Edited by jwillis35

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

2014 definitely. Felliniesque, OOTW, Tilt, Scheherazade, Immortal, Home is Where the Heart is, Swan Lake, That One Second, and Animal Farm were all such fantastic and enjoyable productions. 

The only ones I didn't really care for that year were Cadets' Madison's, and Crossmen's show 

This.  Except I loved Madison.

More than the meadow so green and still.

I think 1993 is one of those years where both the competition was great and there were so many great shows at the top. Madison and BD doing Strawberry Soup, The Phantom crab walk, The closeness between Cadets and Star in which both shows were beyond great. Blue Knights with the Star Trek theme, SCV with the soft ending. Madison playing in the pouring rain. There were even 2 band new finalists that year in the Glassmen and Colts. Maybe its because its the year I discovered drum corps, but I think it was a special year.

• Like 1

Cavaliers, Cadets, Star, BD, Scouts, Crossmen, Phantom, SCV, VK all were fantastically entertaining shows.

• Like 1