Bluecoats APD Not Going To Be Available

Not to be overly critical... but shouldn't these issues be hammered out before they hit the field in June? Considering KK got left off the videos just 2 years ago for this very reason, there really is no excuse.

I could be completely wrong, but as I understand it, there will be no problem with the dvd's and cd's. the problem is over computer downloads. It was an oversite when working out the details with the composer.

I could be completely wrong, but as I understand it, there will be no problem with the dvd's and cd's.  the problem is over computer downloads.  It was an oversite when working out the details with the composer.

Holy crap. I hope you're right. I'm starting to panic.

I know that wgi has a do not use list, and Mellilo is on the list. I'm a member of ASCAP, and its really only a few people doing this. But ya, copyrite laws are very complacated,

Its starting to get to the point where the only music you'll be able to get for bands is the stuff from the publishing house. Which, i hate to say it is, great for some, but not great for others.

Not to be overly critical... but shouldn't these issues be hammered out before they hit the field in June?  Considering KK got left off the videos just 2 years ago for this very reason, there really is no excuse.

That is the goal of everyone involved. Sometimes however, the negotiations can go on for months. Jeni Paulson is involved and honestly I think the woman can do anything when it comes to copyright law.

She and I spent 8 months trying to track down the copyright owner of a piece we used in my bands show last fall. It had been owned by multiple publishers who had been bought out over a period of time. It got down to the week before the regional we were performing in before we were able to get something on paper worked out. If it's not done at this point, it's not because there was not an appropriate attempt by the organizations involved. It's someone holding things up somewhere along the way.

Later, AA

For those who wanted it, here's Mellillo's website

Please be aware, I don't even know what the issue is with Bluecoats so I don't have any idea if Mellillo is even the problem, but this is his website. He does seem quite supportive of music education, so not sure that his music is the problem. Might want to confirm that before everyone starts emailing him......

Cool website no matter what though......

Mellillo's Stormworld

Later, AA

Steven Melillo is quite supportive of music education because (to the best of my knowledge), he writes works almost EXCLUSIVELY for marketing to school bands. Marketing to educators is his bread and butter. I would think that this would support the approval of all necessary licensing to the Bluecoats. If this type of problem persists, all corps should seriously reconsider when selecting his music.

I remember once working with Melillo when I was at Western Michigan University. Our symphonic band recorded for a promotional CD of middle/high school music. I recall the compositions resembling mediocre film scoring. There's plenty of great royalty-free repetoire out there. For stuff like Melillo, it might make more sense to go with original compositions for drum corps instead of putting high school band music on the field.

My thumbs-down to Steven Melillo (if he is, in fact the root of this problem).