The Anti-Narration BD Thread

Yowzah Yowzah Yowzah! :P

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m trying to keep an open mind, since I have not seen them live yet. I have the APD of the show, and could only listen to it a couple of times, cause the narrations is so obnoxious and distracting. Maybe when I see them live I will change my mind. I didn’t think that I would like the Cadets this year, but when I saw them in Denver, I loved their show.

Yowzah Yowzah Yowzah! :P

For anyone interested, I just learned that Yowza, Yowza, Yowza was the catchphrase of bandleader Ben Bernie (1893-1943) in the 20's and 30's.

But someone refresh my memory- didn't some character from a 70's sitcom use that catchphrase? I want to say Ralph Malph from Happy Days, but I'm sure I'm wrong there.

Sounds about right.

I believe it was Richie Cunningham on Happy Days when he was the band leader and Jonie and Fonzie won the dance marathon, defeating Jonie's chief rival, Charlene Tilton. This is right up there with all of the great dance marathons. And I think Fonzie actually was taken out on a cot at one point. (I did just recently see a rerun of this episode).

I just started ignoring the narration when I saw the show in Dallas last week. The "yowza yowza yowza" was getting annoying and it really just couldn't be heard over the pit/field/audience sounds. Plus I found that I was trying to look around the pit to try to find the person on the mike (it was actually very "old-time recording" sounding) and I didn't like being distracted like that. I didn't think that it added anything to the show-- I could still figure out and follow the story with just the listing of 'movements' in the program.

And no, my choice to ignore the narration had nothing to do with the amplification issue.

for the last f-ing time.. nobody is going to listen to you.. cadets or bd... about you or anyone else wanting their narration to go...

i think both work well after seeing the shows..

it helps the cadets, and its a major part of show design for the blue devils..

dance derbys without announcers.. HA!!

Amping and narration suck no matter which corps is using them IMHO, including one of my alma maters B)

Edited by felixh

I just started ignoring the narration when I saw the show in Dallas last week.  The "yowza yowza yowza" was getting annoying and it really just couldn't be heard over the pit/field/audience sounds.  Plus I found that I was trying to look around the pit to try to find the person on the mike (it was actually very "old-time recording" sounding) and I didn't like being distracted like that.  I didn't think that it added anything to the show-- I could still figure out and follow the story with just the listing of 'movements' in the program.

And no, my choice to ignore the narration had nothing to do with the amplification issue.

Tall guy in the middle on marimba...Now next time you see the show, you won't be as distracted :P

Guest DrumCorpFan

I have not seen either show but I do not like the concept of amps and/or vocals in a drum corps show. And, I have been asked to vocalize during a show (1985, "yah, woo").