The Anti-Narration BD Thread

After seeing it for myself in Indy, I have to agree that BD's show is a stinker. But you know what? It would be a stinker whether they had narration in it or not. No the show doesn't work, but it doesn't work for several reasons and amps is just one of them. In fact, I think the biggest problem was the way they programmed the show backwards instead of forward.

So here you have someone who is absolutely for amps, saying that he doesn't like Blue Devils' use of narration. How is that possible? Because I realize that the problem is specific to this show, and not indicative of amps in general. While I didn't care for BD, I loved the use of Bluecoats and especially the Cadets. Last year, I loved Crown's singing but hated their poetry. I also loved Boston's single-word chant, but hated their bad "poetry". I judge instances of amps, based on how they are used and whether I like that or not. We do the same thing with hornlines all the time: I like Cavaliers 2002 hornline but I hated Phantom's 2002 hornline because they blasted a bad sound. But just because I hated Phantom's hornline doesn't mean that I think hornlines have got to go. And just because I hated Boston's poetry doesn't mean I think vocals have got to go. It just means that I want to hear it done better.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO WHETHER IT IS BD of 05 or Cadets 07 you guys just hate this narration concept, right???

It's funny because I do not recall BD getting as much flack as you gave the cadets this season.

It's funny because I do not recall BD getting as much flack as you gave the cadets this season.

We've been thru this before -- and it's hard to judge because each use is different and the folks criticizing aren't ALL the same ...

However -- both BD and especially Crown got HAMMERED on these boards. There wasn't a thread that didn't include a stinging "YOWZA" and/or downright nasty things said about Crown. There's no doubt (imo) that the Cadets got it even a little worse this year and I will chalk that up to the following reasons:

1) This was the third straight year that they used vocals, each year incorporating a bit more, so the criticism has grown upon itself year-over-year. (vs other corps that have done it on and off)

2) This was the 5th (6th??) year of vocals overall, so the anti-crowd is getting louder and louder (even if smaller and smaller) as the uses go on.

3) There is particular focus on that Cadets use of it because many of the anti-crowd see their director as the spearhead of this rule and look anxiously at what he does in regards to where the activity as a whole may go in the future (right or wrong, you have to admit that this was inevitable -- stick your head out on an issue and you're going to get scrutiny -- he seems to handle it fine ....)

4) The Cadets have also been fighting for a title these past three years (winning 1), so again the scrutiny/criticism from the anti-crowd will fall more on them than, say, Cascades or Crossmen or Blue Stars or even BD that year because, due to other show design flaws, they weren't really a contender. Comes with the territory, like it or not.

All that said, though, I think what Crown was subject to with their Bohemia show was every bit as nasty as what Cadets have faced these last two years ....

I was not a DCP member in 2005 or you would have seen plenty from me - BD fan that I am I disliked that show as much as the Cadet's 2007.

Edited by BigSnareline

why must we debate about vocals and amps all the time? it's in. nothing we can do about it. no point in complaining. it doesn't change anything.