Blue Devils 6th in brass?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't checked the recaps, but I heard that BD took second in Ensemble Music by .1....and 5th/6th in drums/brass.

Is that possible?

Edited by bd5times

It's really a catch 22 for judges. If the scores come out "normal" then they are slotting. If they come out all over the place, there was a judging mistake.

Crazy man! I'd hate to be a judge.

And if they are particularly unlucky, they get surrounded and run over unsuspectingly.

i was at the show tonight, and i can only guess that the 6th place in brass came from dumb mistakes, i heard a euph come in the wrong spot while everyone was resting..

personally i thought the drums and brass were off the charts!!! i did think that the music ensemble was kinda off.. sounded like some phasing between brass and field battery.. .. but thats just what i heard.. who knows what the music ensemble judge heard....

so.. im calling it right now.. if you place 6th or higher in brass then its ok.. cause the top six all have SICK HORNS!!!

very good year to buy the finals CD :blink::worthy:

I think both are quite anomalous... and I don't think there is such a thing as a "mistake" in judging...  it's that judges interpretation.

Oh, I do. I'll never forget a mistake I made judging guard. It was a prelims/finals scenario, and for whatever reason the caption awards were based on prelims, not finals. In one of the classes, I gave the top score to a particular guard, and at that time I really thought they deserved it. But, doing my tape for each guard at finals, I clearly saw my mistake and knew I should've given the top score to another guard. But, by that time, it was too late.

You're right, that judging is highly subjective. But I also think that subjectivity can lead to mistakes. It certainly did for me, in that particular instance.