Cadets...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, the opening narration isn't needed - the twilight zone theme pretty well sets it all up, I think.

And the Bjork narration really needs to go.

I just heard the APD. Cool stuff. I think what makes the opening narration less than spectacular (for me) is that it doesn't sound as "serious" as it could. The original Twilight Zone intro has a very "matter of fact" tone to it that really brings you in. I don't want The Cadets to imitate the original, but I feel like I'm being yelled at rather than told what's going on.

The Bjork "narration" is actually the lyrics from the real song. The Cadets arrangement is pretty faithful to the original (at least at the start of it).

Very cool show (watch out).

D

----------------------

"...if you tell me you're a "Super-Mega-Ultra Lightning Babe, that's alright with me! I'm good..."

I am really enjoying Cadets show too.  I really like the revisions they've made

since the first APD.  Can anyone tell me where the music they use for the

ballad section (with the great percussion under it) comes from?  It is very

"hypnotic"...for lack of a better description.

The ballad comes from Bjork's "Dancer in the Dark" off of the Dancer in the Dark album. The percussion feature is based on "Cvalda" from the same album. The first song Liquid and the last song Mirrors are original pieces by Jay Bocook with snipets from Kill Bill and Twilight Zone. Great, great show.

A big thumbs up to Cadets this year. Way cool show. I think they will win, come finals, unless Cavies are able to inject more effect and depth into their music.

Harvey

I just heard the APD. Cool stuff. I think what makes the opening narration less than spectacular (for me) is that it doesn't sound as "serious" as it could. The original Twilight Zone intro has a very "matter of fact" tone to it that really brings you in. I don't want The Cadets to imitate the original, but I feel like I'm being yelled at rather than told what's going on.

Now that I've heard the show, I do wish they would either remove the opening narration or find somebody that sounds much closer to Rod Serling because the manner in which the Twilight Zone narration is spoken doesn't help the effect they're going for at that point.

Can't wait to see it... on Aug 11th :(

I saw the Cadets live at Lisle before the show was completed and I liked them then.  After listening to the APD and watching the clip, I think they are really amazing!  The "beat" singing is great, especially with the drill and colorguard movement.  Can't wait to see the whole thing again!

Feel the same way. I could live without the opening narration, but it's quickly out of mind as I watch this musical and visual treat of a show. Mercy, I can't wait to see 'em again! :)

Feel the same way. I could live without the opening narration, but it's quickly out of mind as I watch this musical and visual treat of a show. Mercy, I can't wait to see 'em again!  :)

I was on the edge of my seat watching this show in Denver. It's virtually impossible to see everything in one viewing. Too much happening all over the field. I would say 3 times mimimum to see all the pieces. The irony of this is that I was never a big Cadets fan....and I would have predicted my son would have moved to either SCV or Cavies after 3 years with Scades because of his desire to march the fastest, hardest drill he could find. But what happens....he goes to Cadets as an alternate and is now in the show. Go figure! And he's got the killer drill too...just need to push it to 225 to make him happy.

It's funny that so much discussion is on the visual/concept side of the show...well not really...but I find myself replaying the Liquid and Dancer portions of the show. Just awesome pieces.

... or find somebody that sounds much closer to Rod Serling because the manner in which the Twilight Zone narration is spoken doesn't help the effect they're going for at that point.

I suggested that to George Hopkins in an email 2 weeks ago. The great thing about Rod Serling was, it wasn't simply what he said, but how he said it.

This is in response to the "The Cadets, the esoteric, and the envelope" post by zig zig ZAG, which I unfortunately didn't get posted in time before Mike New closed it down. Hopefully he'll post again in this thread, or Mike will merged the two. Anyway, here it is:

Thank you. A great post, and a wonderful rebuttal to the scared, whiny, and angry "Cadets at San Antonio" post. I came into the activity around 1999/2000, and as such have never really witnessed a 'zagging' Cadets show in person. Maybe for the same reason, I've never been much of a Cadets fan. But, after hearing the San Antonio recording and hopefully after I see them in Indy, this sure seems to be the show that changes all that. :)

It's so great to see a corps that's actually willing to take a chance!! ^OO^