Has SCV become the new Madison this year?

Just a thought.... It seems that, with SCV's placement dropping dramatically so far this season, many fans are being very "vocal" in their support of SCV and their show (nothing wrong with that!). It has the same feel that the Madison Scouts solicited during their "dark years (particularly 2001 & 2002).

This is just an observation - not a criticism or judgment.

The good news is that, if this proves to be a "dark year" for SCV in the end, Madison has proven that a quality corps can bounce back big time! And there is not a corps that exemplifies quality and excellence any more than SCV (as shown for at least 33 years!)

Am I the only one who has had this random comparative thought? :worthy::blink:

In many ways 1980 was a dark year for SCV. 7th place finish after 8 straight years in the top three and three DCI championships. After 1980 most of the staff was fired or did not return which included Brass, Percussion and Visual caption heads. Many members did not return. In 1981 it was thought that they would not even be in the top 12 (there had been a curse with other corps that had fallen from third to seventh then out of the top 12 or something like that).

SCV right now is very similar to Madison. Never count out a previous champion. One you have won a championship (or multiple championships) it becomes part of your DNA. They can rebound very fast. It would not surprise me in the least if SCV is a championship contender next year, this is of course they get someone else to write the drill!!!

In many ways 1980 was a dark year for SCV.  7th place finish after 8 straight years in the top three and three DCI championships.  After 1980 most of the staff was fired or did not return which included Brass, Percussion and Visual caption heads.  Many members did not return.  In 1981 it was thought that they would not even be in the top 12 (there had been a curse with other corps that had fallen from third to seventh then out of the top 12 or something like that).

SCV right now is very similar to Madison.  Never count out a previous champion.  One you have won a championship (or multiple championships) it becomes part of your DNA.  They can rebound very fast.  It would not surprise me in the least if SCV is a championship contender next year, this is of course they get someone else to write the drill!!!

Good point. The only thing you left out was not mentioning that SCV rebounded all the way back to #1 in 1981.

One difference it seems here is that Madison did have a couple of down years. This seems more like a few other corps having a totally amazing year, rather than Vanguard having a down year. This year is absolutely amazing!! Also, the summer isn't over. There are so many corps bunched up within a few points, anything can happen, And while 9 points is quite a few to catch up to the Cavies, it would be nothing for Vanguard to catch up 5 or 6 point to get back into top 5 by end of season. And if they don't, this would probably be the most amazing 9 th place show ever! I really love Vanguards show this year, as well as loving almost all of the shows this year. Just a great year for Drum Corps in my opinion.

Good point.  The only thing you left out was not mentioning that SCV rebounded all the way back to #1 in 1981.

And all the #### they got for the assymetric drill that they did, but it was the beginning of something innovative for them. :)

Oh and just a side note, in 1974 27th Lancers went to 20th place and then turned around in 1975 and came back to 4th place! :) (Just a little more history for you). :)

I was thinkin about it the other day.

but, after a corps does "bad" in a previous year, the corps bounces EXTREMELY the next year?

take Crown 2002-2003.

It seems like people WANT to go to the corps to make it better.

~>conner

but, after a corps does "bad" in a previous year, the corps bounces EXTREMELY the next year?

I would argue that Phantom still hasn't recovered from the 1998 season.

While I'd say that 2003-2005 are on par with their early 90s performances, while PR was down in the late 90s and early 00s, other programs rose significantly in design and performance. What I'm trying to say is that PR is now getting back to their early 90s form, but they have been passed by some other corps...

As for SCV this season, they are getting a lot of positive vibes, but not in the same way Madison was in 2001 and 2002. People got on RAMD and said, "MADISON IS GETTING JOBBED!" Even though posts are mostly positive, I think that SCV-backers realize they are deserving of their current placement and aren't ripping the judges. I think it's a case of Madison fans in 01 and 02 being way too unrealistic and confusing entertainment with performance...

"...I think it's a case of Madison fans in 01 and 02 being way too unrealistic and confusing entertainment with performance..."

Ouch :sshh: