Review - Div II/III, New London, CT, Show

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's make it official. Check out the jacket.

Just to clear things up a bit.

This photo was taken at field level in the daytime. For the record, when you are sitting in the stands at night and the corps is under the lights and you are on the other side of the 50 yard line, you cannot read the words on this box and all you can see is a pair of red chucks and a yellow jacket, even if you are looking and trying to figure out what this means. A person near me, whom I did not know, said, "What is that? Clown Shoes? A clown jacket? What is going on?" If you have to tell your audience what is happening, you've lost them. Many, many of the people in the stands in Div II/III shows are there because they know a young kid in one of the corps. They do not necessarily know drum corps history and they should not be expected to get something like this.

Also, for the record, the crowd in the stands very much enjoyed your show and appreciated it's high entertainment level. Everyone near me clapped, cheered and stood for you in the end. And that is what really matters.

This photo was taken at field level in the daytime.  For the record, when you are sitting in the stands at night and the corps is under the lights and you are on the other side of the 50 yard line, you cannot read the words on this box and all you can see is a pair of red chucks and a yellow jacket,  even if you are looking and trying to figure out what this means. A person near me, whom I did not know, said, "What is that?  Clown Shoes? A clown jacket?  What is going on?"  If you have to tell your audience what is happening, you've lost them.  Many, many of the people in the stands in Div II/III shows are there because they know a young kid in one of the corps.  They do not necessarily know drum corps history and they should not be expected to get something like this. 

Also, for the record, the crowd in the stands very much enjoyed your show and appreciated it's high entertainment level.  Everyone near me clapped, cheered and stood for you in the end.  And that is what really matters.

Oh, I really hope you didn't take my post as offensive or cutting your legs out from under you. I know that it must have been hard to see, especially the Bridgemen logo, at night from the stands. The lights, which I had a hard time seeing through on the field, couldn't have helped much either. I was just clearing up any confusion and maybe giving a bit of a preview to those who may have read this and haven't seen our show.

Regardless, the thrill of the applause IS what it's about. Thanks for the review, it was a good one and I hope you enjoy our program!

I know the new people wouldn't get it, but this is a snapshot showing respect for the history of the activity. Blue Stars came out 2 years ago with someone in hot pants.... and Spirit came out with flags honoring some of the greats. Why does Bones come out for Crossmen? Why do Bluecoat fans yell BLOOOOOOO? Why does the crowd go nuts when Madison goes into the form of a fleur de lis? Why does the crowd jump to their feel when SCV plays the first few cords for the Bottle Dance?......Eventually you will catch on. B)

I believe that the red shoes are in tribute to either the Velvet Knights or the Bridgemen.  She also holds up a Yellow Raincoat, which is also in tribute to (I think) the Bridgemen.  Old school folks should easily get this; me, I had to look it up.  Still pretty cool either way.  And HOPEFULLY the judges "get it", since most of them were around during both those corps' time.

If only the judges would give more credit for entertainment value, complexity and creativity; I think they only look for mistakes these days.

As I watched Spartans, in particular, I saw relatively easy drill performed with a good deal of precision.  Not a lot of playing AND marching, though.  I think they understand "the judging game" and play that up in order to win.  But for me, its a dull show.  GREAT horn pops, though.  I LIKE that. 

Thankfully corps like the Surf are around to keep things exciting!!!!!

This is the posted reply to my review that has probably offended me.

Interestingly, I am a former member of one of the corps that is named on the box in the subsequent photo.

In my day, there was a term called "corpsmanship" Is this term still around?

After reading through many topics and posts on this forum, I can find little or nothing that is written by an actual Spartan corp member, although many troubling words have been spoken of late about them.

The lack of response by the Spartan members shows a great restraint on their part. This shows great character. I think they are actually being taught to respect thelmselves and their opponents.

Corpsmanship.

I leave you with this thought.

This is my last post on this forum board.

Best wishes,

I am just a member of the old guard.

This is the posted reply to my review that has probably offended me. 

Is it possible everyone is just a little too "on edge" right now?

After re-reading my post, I realize I probably could chosen my words more carefully. I apologize to anyone offended.....really I do. Especially oldguard.

I was kinda hoping to startup a "lively" (but friendly) discussion about entertainment vs intellectual content, and also to gain some insight into the judging process. And how some corps use the insight they have more effectively than others. And how it doesn't matter so much to others, etc....

Maybe I should have started a new topic, because I guess this topic is "flame bait" and that diminishes the EXCELLENT review that started this topic.

But it does seem to me (and this is my opinion, if you please) that the judges in DCI award more points to "more intellectual" music and also seem more interested in penalizing mistakes in drill, rather than rewarding the demand.

I THINK this encourages drill designers to limit their creativity in order to raise the scores. But what about the "paying public"? And how does this affect the future of the activity?

I mean, it IS called a "show" after all. Isn't it all about the kids putting on a show?

My earliler poor choice of words was probably due to my fervent desire for this excellent youth activity to grow and prosper. In order to grow and prosper, it requires funding, and the people who are attracted to the shows provide most of the funding. It would be nice to get an overall sponsor, so that all shows could be developed for the "refined tastes" of the people who have been involved in the activity a long time.

My inadvertant insult to the Spartans was an honest reflection of my impression of their show. Although I don't get the show, I know the kids gave it all they had, and I DO appreciate that. Again, GREAT horn pops; I will remember those for a long time!

I admit I'm kind of new at all this, and you all have the experience, but is the subject THAT closed to discussion?

I mean really, if there is a set of hard-and-fast rules about all this, hook a brother up.

Can't we all just get along?

Can somebody tell me if it's an original jacket of the Bridgemen? That would be very cool!

Not quite sure if the Bridgemen jacket is an original, but I know there are B-men alums on Surf's staff. For those who weren't around "way back when", the corps was often referred to as "The Marching Bananas" for obvious reasons when you see that jacket! They were among the first to inject fun and frivolity into drum corps.

The red Converse sneakers pay tribute to the other "Clown Princes" of drum corps from days gone by, The Velvet Knights from California. If you get a chance, check out "The History of Drum Corps" (there are now 2 volumes) which gives great historical perspective on these and other corps.

Can somebody tell me if it's an original jacket of the Bridgemen? That would be very cool!

Yes. :blink: