Renegades Death Camp

WARNING: apparently, my parents didn't wash my mouth out with enough soap as a child. I realize that DCP makes curse words into ####s, but some people's eyes still melt out of thier heads when they see swear words even if they're #####. If you are one of them....I don't recommend reading this post. I swear more than three drunk Marines.

This past weekend was Renegades' "Death Camp". It was at the Blue Devil's practice field behind their hall. It's appropriately called "Mars". It's desolate. (In the middle of a bunch of oil refineries). It's ####### hot during the day, and (usually, tho not this weekend) ####### cold at night. I fully believe all the world's mosquitos are born (hatched?) in this area and leave as soon as possible (tho a few stayed behind to make a Thanksgiving feast out of me). It's dusty, dirty and there're not much shade. The field is full of ankle-breaking gopher holes, hidden by tall weeds, the grass was full of little biting spiders and ants. There's two stinky portapotties around a bunch of rusted out old cars.

We (the guard) did alot of work on our show. We were down two memebers for bad/sad reasons which put some worries on our shoulders. One of our captains was missing b/c her fiancee (a lower-lead soparano player) needed an emergency apendectomy. (We were very worried, but knew he was in good hands.) Another member had to miss some of Sunday because her boyfriend ( a contra player)'s car got broken into and everything stolen out of it. Not fun. Fortunately, both of them are good and will catch anything cleaned quickly.

Amy, one of my drill points in the opener cracked herself over her head with a piece of her equipment. She was down for the after-dinner block and I realized I count on her way more than I should to march my spot. (I stay behind her during some criticle drill moves. Kathy (One of our instructors who is marching) stays behind me in the drill. If I #### up, she'll know. ( I think pulled it off). I cracked my pole (HARD) across my eye socket, broke my right sunglass lense in half, cut my eyebrow open (more blood than should have come out of such a small cut). The back of my knees got sunburned. I had heat exhaustion by after-dinner block. One of the refineries started up and the smell of carbon monoxide was making me sick.

I had a GREAT time this weekend.

I guess it's one of those "You have to be in it to understand it" type things. I called Roy after Saturday's rehearsal. (Close to 10:30pm. They excused us late.) I was practically in tears, I was so tired, sunburned, sick, and mosquito-eaten. The first words out of his mouth were "You pay money to have this experience?????".

I've been in the Renegades for 4 years. He still doesn't get it. Oh, he loves that I'm in the group. He loves my friends. He likes coming to the shows and seeing me perform. But he doesn't get this part of it.

I dunno... it sucked while it was happening. I'd rather eat the entire contents of my cat's litter box than EVER re-visit this past weekend. But now, Monday morning, I'm left with the sense of "I had a great time this weekend." And my sunburn wasn't that bad (my back feels a little crunchy). But, other than a sore eyeball, I'm not hurt anywhere. I feel great. READY!!!!!!!

Maybe it was the shared suffering that made this weekend good. Morgan, one of our DMs was filling in potholes for us. (Rolling around a big wheel barrel shoveling dirt in the heat = not fun) Our field crew took the time (in the yucky heat) to line a 2nd field for the guard (they do this for us for every camp, but at 9:30 in the morning on Saturday, it was already Africa-hot). We all pulled together as a guard and helped each other with the work, with water & gatorade, and recognizing when someone need to go down and get out of the sun. Maybe it's because we turned the show into "our B####" and turned it up a notch (or seven). Our hornline was turned to "11" and our drum line, as usual, was on fire. We all really pulled the show together and wrapped it up with a bow. We pulled out the bleach and CLEANED. Staff (across all sections) was complimenting the guard. The guard was helping the horn line with "cloak issues". I feel like we are REALLY ready for North Carolina. Not just performance wise, but "corps wise". Something special happened to the Renegades this weekend. I think that field has some sort of special mojo and that's why BD kicks so much ###. (MANY thanks to the powers that be @ BD that let us in on some of that special mojo!!!)

We fully expect our competitors to be just as on fire and ready for this weekend. That's what makes us work so hard and makes this activity so much fun.

Or I could just be a masochistic sicko. ^0^

Rock on. See you in North Carolina....where I am going to have some sweet tea (or "Swait Tay" as I am told it is pronounced) and a mint julep.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice story Lisa, Reading this is like being there. I felt the pain.

I am looking forward to one #### of a showdown this weekend.

See ya'll thar.

Part of #29's immediate family

Oh man.....the memories you just brought back!! My therapist will send you a bill!!

I found myself nodding every time youdescribed the conditions at Mars....and they were just as bad in the early 80s...just ask Rich and Doug!

Man...I would love to have one day there again....pain and all.

Rick Chavoya said it all at the Saturday night dinner break/bbq fiasco:

"No wonder BD is so great! Mars makes you do it right the first time so you can get the #### out of there!!!!!!!!"

Edited by wolf1

Rick Chavoya said it all at the Saturday night dinner break/bbq fiasco:

"No wonder BD is so great!  Mars makes you do it right the first time so you can get the #### out of there!!!!!!!!"

Yeah....that pretty much sums it up!

If you can march clean at Mars, you can march clean anywhere!

oh let's not forget the NUMEROUS hornets buzzing around the NUMEROUS hornet's nests stuck to the ceiling of "bleachers" -- just don't wiggle around too much if you wanna' watch a run thru or you might wake 'em up :(

I have to say though, the shower thingee is genius

Lisa,

Someone at work came by to ask me how my weekend was. I just showed them your post. It summed it up pretty well. Lessee:

I fully believe all the world's mosquitos are born (hatched?) in this area and leave as soon as possible (tho a few stayed behind to make a Thanksgiving feast out of me).  It's dusty, dirty and there're not much shade.  The field is full of ankle-breaking gopher holes, hidden by tall weeds, the grass was full of little biting spiders and ants.    There's two stinky portapotties around a bunch of rusted out old cars. 

Yeah, I've got couple of bites I'm fighting hard not to scratch. Twisted my ankle once -- no injury so it's all good. I pretty much ignored the porta-a-potties other than first thing Saturday morning. Ick.

Amy, one of my drill points in the opener cracked herself over her head with a piece of her equipment.  ... .  I cracked my pole (HARD) across my eye socket, broke my right sunglass lense in half, cut my eyebrow open (more blood than should have come out of such a small cut).  The back of my knees got sunburned.  I had heat exhaustion by after-dinner block.  One of the refineries started up and the smell of carbon monoxide was making me sick. 

Lessee -- Matt cut himself on the leg on those #### racks and was bleading on Saturday, with a nice scar and bruise on Sunday. I did the same to a smaller degree on Sunday and have a swollen bruise today. THis is addition to all the usual on my arms.

I had a GREAT time this weekend.  

I guess it's one of those  "You have to be in it to understand it" type things.  I called Roy after Saturday's rehearsal.  (Close to 10:30pm.  They excused us late.) I was practically in tears, I was so tired, sunburned, sick, and mosquito-eaten.  The first words out of his mouth were "You pay money to have this experience?????". 

Word-for-word the conversation I had with Steve (my hubby) when I got home from Oakland Airport at about 9:30 pm on Sunday night from loading all our stuff for NC. (Trivia: Renegades are sending 80 different piece of stuff for our show -- this isn't counting stuff we're borrowing, and this is with having some things bundled in groups. How many times can I use the word "stuff" in one sentence?)

Oh yeah, Steve doesn't get it either.

But now, Monday morning, I'm left with the sense of  "I had a great time this weekend."  And my sunburn wasn't that bad (my back feels a little crunchy).  But, other than a sore eyeball, I'm not hurt anywhere.  I feel great.  READY!!!!!!!

I'm counting down the hours. Is it Thursday yet????

See you in NC

-Irina

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I AM SORRY I WASN'T THERE!!!!

Chris was hospitalized with Appendicitis Saturday morning. I had to be there with him. ..... did I mention that the hospital was air conditioned?? ha ha just kidding there stop throwing stuff at me.

The only thing that will suck is that I have to learn all the changes on the fly this weekend IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Chris won't be marching or playing (obviously), but his doctor cleared him to fly out with us. So he will be there for moral support. He's such a trooper. ... and I get to marry him!! :P

What a great weekend!! Mars really is out there in the middle of no where! The gopher (aka Giant squirrels to me) holes were huge!! Made backwards marching a little scary but doable.

I had the most fun at Saturday night's run through!! I can't wait to do the show in front of a crowd!! I'm so ready for NC!!!