N.C. Delicacies

Pulled pork is definitely one you can't afford to miss.

Just stay away from the yellow sauce.

as a barbecue conesuierr (sp?) yellow sauce is definately south carolina. If you will be in winston salem you should be able to get either eastern or western carolina barbecue. Sauce is slightly different, but I'm originally from VA beach so I can't tell the difference. I'd reccomend getting it as a sandwich with coleslaw on top.

Also, fried okra is definately a favorite of carolinians. Although I tend to stay away from the slimy vegetables.

Also, Carolina Pale Ale is a good local beer that you can get on tap at quite a few places.

Winston Salem is a good four hours or more from the beach, so I wouldn't think clams are as fresh as you would find say in the outerbanks or Wilmington. Clams? That has to be the weirdest suggestion for NC food I've ever heard.

Edited by corkineaj

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see....

Obvious:

Barbeque: Goes without saying around here.

Shrimp and Grits: Trust me, you'll like it...and if you don't I'll eat it. :P

Some of the local beers: Some suprisingly good stuff produced all over the state...worth a try.

Agree with the fried okra....it's like popcorn...well, to some of us, anyway :P

Not so obvious:

Now, if you're coming from California, then you're allowed to giggle a little at this one, but NC's wine industry has really come into its own recently.

Scuppernong, Muscadine, the traditional Sauv. Blancs, etc... and even some less popular grapes such as Chenin Blanc and Riesling are all grown here, and if you try some of the local wines, you may be pleasantly suprised. I know I have been, especially with the whites I've tried. www.ncwines.org has more, along with a listing of quite a few near W-S, if you decide to do some tasting.

Additionally, to stray away from food for a bit...if you're going to make a long weekend of it, there's Seagrove down the road (US 220) a bit, where you can get some great pottery, especially if you're into raku or the crystalline/salt glazes.

Going up US 52 a few miles (right outside W-S) will put you in the mountains fairly quickly as well, if you're interested in that.

I look forward to not being able to hear by the end of this weekend. :)

Ok, I know this may sounds strange, but are there any local bad, terrible tasting beers around that area that you could recommend?

I can easily say that anything by the Carolina Beer Company or Rock Creek Brewing sucks really bad...to the point that calling it horse #### would be a compliment.

Both should be easy to find in W-S if you're looking for something to give to someone you don't like as a present. :P

Although I am more of a wine drinker... still, though, bad beer is bad beer!

Agree with the wines - there are some seriously tasty blends in this area. Muscadine wine is very surprising.

Okra and grits are both a form of devil worship.

Pulled pork sandwiches are okay - not much to write home about, but they are different and tasty.

You are just close enough to find some good Chesapeake crab IF you know the right places that prepare it right - but aren't they 'out of season' now? dunno. Anyhoo, you have to ask for LUMP crab meat, not the funky mashed pasty stuff. Them's good eatin!

You speak of the Blue Crab. As a former resident of Va. Beach, VA. there is nothing better, but the occasional Dungeness Crab here in the Bay Area is pretty decent too.

If it ain't close to a beach, than I usually skip the seafood. Just gimme the 'q.....

Does Red, White and Blue beer still exist????? It was a high school favorite!

Edited by wolf1

Let's see....

Obvious:

Barbeque: Goes without saying around here.

Shrimp and Grits: Trust me, you'll like it...and if you don't I'll eat it. :P

Some of the local beers: Some suprisingly good stuff produced all over the state...worth a try.

Agree with the fried okra....it's like popcorn...well, to some of us, anyway :P

Not so obvious:

Now, if you're coming from California, then you're allowed to giggle a little at this one, but NC's wine industry has really come into its own recently.

Scuppernong, Muscadine, the traditional Sauv. Blancs, etc... and even some less popular grapes such as Chenin Blanc and Riesling are all grown here, and if you try some of the local wines, you may be pleasantly suprised. I know I have been, especially with the whites I've tried.  www.ncwines.org has more, along with a listing of quite a few near W-S, if you decide to do some tasting.

Additionally, to stray away from food for a bit...if you're going to make a long weekend of it, there's Seagrove down the road (US 220) a bit, where you can get some great pottery, especially if you're into raku or the crystalline/salt glazes.

Going up US 52 a few miles (right outside W-S) will put you in the mountains fairly quickly as well, if you're interested in that.

I look forward to not being able to hear by the end of this weekend. :)

good. you're taking us to lunch

In another thread, someone (Ed Mason, I believe) mentioned Staley's steak house not far from the Wake Forest campus. BIG steaks, he says. Sounds like a plan!!!

Fran

I can easily say that anything by the Carolina Beer Company or Rock Creek Brewing sucks really bad...to the point that calling it horse #### would be a compliment.

Both should be easy to find in W-S if you're looking for something to give to someone you don't like as a present. :P

Although I am more of a wine drinker... still, though, bad beer is bad beer!

Is someone planning Bad Beer South, to go with LMS South? Will Le Fin du Monde make an appearance?

On a side note, we were at the airport coming home from DCI Championships in Birmingham in 1980. We had time for breakfast, so we just went in to a place in the airport. When the server asked my friend how he wanted his eggs, he said, "Barbequed." The server didn't miss a beat, laughed, and said, "Aw, hon, we don't barbeque ever'thin' down here!"

What I'll miss by not being in W-S is the wonderful North Carolina hospitality. After attending the Cary and Charlotte shows, I can't think of anywhere else in the country where people are so friendly.

Well, that and the Renegades!

Garry