Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

That had to take place at the Southie St. Patty's Parade. At last years Spring Fling, 7/8 mm came to me to get some stories about the rough stuff from decades back. I took them to a BOD member who I marched with, and asked him to tell the story of the 67 Am. Legion parade when he, while marching, stepped out of line, and floored a Cavie with one punch who was trashing the Saders. I originally heard, while in Germany with the USAF, he had used his horn.

that was nothing compared to the St. Lucy's Corps from Newark. N.J. charging the Cavaliers Corps after retreat at Championships one year in Miami and then a full brawl ensued between the 2 Corps with cops and ambulances arriving on the scene later to separate the combatants and attend to the wounded ( sort of like a typical Friday nite at Dada's Club Voltaire, in Zurich BITD )..... but nobody thankfully was seriously injured in the 2 Corps melee. That trash talking and fighting stuff was not uncommon between Corps back before DCI. To the marchers credit today, they are much more respectful and civil toward one another, and I do genuinely commend them for this. This aspect is WAY better than BITD before DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

I remember hearing something about an SCV member getting struck and killed by lightning back in the 80's, and that they always march a hole in remembrance.

Not true. The only SCV member to die during a season was Art Velarde, who was killed in a car accident at Memorial Day camp in 1999. They spelled out his initials in the drill at the end. To this day, every time SCV goes down to the Riverside show, they do the encore and play Send in the Clowns for his brother Ray and his family.

Hello to all!

Haven't had a chance to read this entire thread so if this has been mentioned I apologize. I remember hearing "somewhere" that in 1988 the Sky Ryders (a corps and a particular show I really enjoy) -specificially the drumline- was getting trashed pretty good by the judges. As you may recall (and if not I'm sure there is a video) during the drum solo the snare line was bouncing a rubber ball off their drum heads while playing. I was told at one show they had gotten so ticked off they had actually thrown/hurled the rubber balls at the field drum judge after they were done with that segment! I have no idea if true but pretty entertaining regardless.

**update- here is a link to the drum solo I found on youtube. the part discussed is around the 45 second mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPPNj_oO_iI

if someone can clarify or confirm would be great...

CM

Edited by scout9193

That trash talking and fighting stuff was not uncommon between Corps back before DCI. To the marchers credit today, they are much more respectful and civil toward one another, and I do genuinely commend them for this. This aspect is WAY better than BITD before DCI.

Ahhhhh, trash talking. During the ready line/starting line era, and usually at local "contests", there was many a corps who hated going on before Boston because they new the next couple of minutes was going to be tough.

I heard from a friend that a BD member refused to pierce his ears so the horn line filled a pillow case with mouthpieces and beat him with it. True?

I know for certain that SCV marched overage members in 2 of their '70's Championship years.

Not quite but to clarify - one year Fred Sanford put on the SCV uniform for the California State Open Championship (then our last show of the year) but that contest was open class where Jr and Senior corps competed together (overage allowed).

Edited by amadorj

I marched Boston from '74 to '79. I could invite 2 of my friends, who marched with me those years, over to my house and we could write story after story after story all of which my fellow Bugle Bander's would find very hard to believe. The problem is that the current Crusader management are worried that parents of current or possibly future members of Boston might read these stories and yank their youngsters out of Corp. I will say this. The Boston Crusader's of those years were as crazy as most people thought we were. We weren't the Hell's Angel's but as I've said in other posts, for the most part, it was a good thing that we decided to hang out by ourselves on the dark side of the parking lot. I can't imagine another Drum Corp having more fun than we did but maybe it was our own brand of fun. I would like to topple one myth though. In all the years I marched in Boston I do not remember anything negative happening between the Crusader's and the Lancer's. It's possible that some stuff did occur but I doubt it as I'm sure I would have heard about it. As a member of The Mass Brass Mini Corp I and other Crusader alumni hang out with the Lancer Alumni who are members of Mass Brass. We all get along swimmingly. The Lancer's talk about how they almost won it all in 1980 and the Crusader's talk about...I'm sorry I forgot, must not disturb the Mommies and Daddies. I will tell one story which is a not a big deal as far as Crusader stories go and may only be partly true. Anyways, I thought that since SCVdrums started this topic I would like to suggest that he talk to some of SCV alumni who marched '75. That would be the year you were born I believe. Ask them if they remember the drunken Crusader standing on the fire escape ranting about how his fellow Crusader's locked him out of his room. He was naked as a jaybird I might add and in full view of SCV who were marching back from their rehearsal. Now the last part about SCV marching by might not be true but then again we are talking stories here and it does add to the story to think that SCV's first encounter with a Boston Crusader would be of one naked and ranting from a fire escape. By the way it was his own fault, he got too drunk and way ahead of everyone else.

Edited by Bsader
  • Like 1

I remember hearing something about an SCV member getting struck and killed by lightning back in the 80's, and that they always march a hole in remembrance.

Not sure if there's linkage between these two stories, but Frank Petric, (corps nickname - "Frank Perdue") a trumpet player in Bayonne Bridgemen during the early 80s was actually struck by lightning and killed at a NY Skyliner rehearsal in 1985.

His wake may be the single saddest night I ever remember. Just a great kid. Hard to picture that these stories have anything in common, but the lightning and the years seem to coincide.