ES drumline

WOW. I wonder if we were watching the same Empire Statesman drumline.

I thought they were not good at all (is that a politically acceptable way to say it?)

The judges seem to have agreed as ES tied Brigs for 4th/5th place in percussion.

I remember when the ES drumline was BAD###. I miss those days.

WOW.  I wonder if we were watching the same Empire Statesman drumline.

I thought they were not good at all (is that a politically acceptable way to say it?)

The judges seem to have agreed as ES tied Brigs for 4th/5th place in percussion.

I remember when the ES drumline was BAD###.  I miss those days.

You must not have been at the same show then......cause I thought they were great

i thought ES battery played really well. My concern was the pit just didn't do it for me.

As Tom Allen once said to another corps..."wadda ya chicken...beep beep beep???"

I never had any Empire chicken...and never have even heard of it.

Donny

the fact that a line scores well or not doesn't say if it is a good line or not.

with that in mind, you would say that BD's drumline is bad or SCV is bad this year, etc...

I do agree with Jeff on the "pit" thing though.

lines in DCA are getting better and better every year, the only scary thing is that they are going DCI's way as far as notes, and it is spreading quicker than in DCI.

eh, i don't have an issue with the books, and here's why:

tenor and bass writing have grown 100000000% in the last 8 years in DCA. #### is being split in bass lines that I dunno if i could do anymore.

tenor writing is more fluid around the drums, and you seea lot more flams there as well.

and my god...cymbal books...where there are cymbal lines....are incredible. they aren't just there to hold for rides anymore.

pit books have also grown by leaps and bounds. the depth of the scoring, the layering...wow.

sure i love some good old fashioned singles, but they can get old after a while.

i thought ES battery played really well. My concern was the pit just didn't do it for me.

Not for nothing...but there's really too much emphasis placed on pit ! I don't think that there's a line out there (including Minnesota) that is playing the stuff that

Statesmen are. My son plays tenors with the Statesmen and I hear the book on a daily basis, and I'll tell you what...NOONE has the content or is playing as clean as

these guys. I always kid my son as to "why would you play THAT when you're on the back hash"...when in actuality, they're constantly 'IN YOUR FACE'.

Listen to what they're doing...not to what anyone thinks they're NOT doing ! The pit is as supportive as they have to be, and don't be surprised if their front ensemble grows by a few people before championships ! And, if that's all that's holding them back...LOOK OUT !!!

A little advice..." listen with your ears, not your eyes."

Love ya Jeff...

Rick Rogers, Jr.

White Sabers Percussion

Rick,

Saw em at rehearsal and at the show. The battery has a great book, no arguments there. Also think Bush, Bucs, and Brigs have a great book.

I think, IMO, Cabs have the hardest battery book of anyone in DCA that I have seen so far too.

but it's a team effort. if you aren't strong in all areas, the scores are not going to happen.

think of it like a horn line...if you have a great low brass section, but your sops are weak, are you going to win horns?

no.

same thing in percussion.