Newspaper article about drum corps

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone but the sidelined percussionists march an intricately plotted show that can run the gamut from block formations that your grandfather’s band director would recognize, to ever-changing geometric patterns that look like they sprang from a fractal program on a mathematician’s computer.

Sadly this is very poor comparison because it's anything but. You can use simple planar analysis to figure it out. Drills are nowhere close to fractal geometry.

Edited by sburstall

Fractals! Yum! b**bs

I think it's a good article: non-insulting, relatively accurate, mentions the athleticism.

As for fractals, well, he did use the words "look like they sprang from a fractal program" in that sentence. He did not say drills actually were fractals.

This is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the b.s. written about the activity...

Sadly this is very poor comparison because it's anything but.  You can use simple planar analysis to figure it out.  Drills are nowhere close to fractal geometry.

Well, I can say this. At least you bring to outsiders the same cynicism you bring to DCI.

HH

Hardly. I liked the article. I really describes today's junior corps. But then, there has been a lot of very good articles besides this that has described drum corps, from a non-music person to this music critic.

I just an issue with his comparison of drills to a "sprang from a fractal program". Not a lot of people care about or know how fractal geometry works. So the comparison missed the target, IMO.

Hardly.  I liked the article.  I really describes today's junior corps.  But then, there has been a lot of very good articles besides this that has described drum corps, from a non-music person to this music critic.

I just an issue with his comparison of drills to a "sprang from a fractal program".  Not a lot of people care about or know how fractal geometry works.  So the comparison missed the target, IMO.

I think it's more of a poetic image than a literal comparison.