Favorites corps cook recipes

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taco in a bag! :)

I need to go make myself taco in a bag... God I miss that! :worthy:

I miss the days when we actually used "Chicken Pucks" as hockey pucks in the parking lot too... :P

DCI should put out a corps cookbook.  It would have the best recipies from all the corps (scaled down, of course).  I would love to sample some food from corps other than Pioneer and Glassmen.

Wow what an awesome idea. I really think this would sell!

When I marched we were an A-60, then A corps. We didn't have anywhere near the budget that the Div. 1 corps have, but we always had warm food and a smiling cook staff. So my favorite recipe isn't anything fancy, but I still crave it all the time - grilled cheese and tomato soup.

The key was that the sandwiches were always slightly blackened (most likely because of the quantity being cooked), and as they were cooked they were stacked in a cooler to keep them hot. The end result was moist (never crispy) sandwiches (because the cooler kept the steam in), that got thinner as you worked your way deeper into the cooler because of the weight of all the sandwiches on top.

Today when I make grilled cheese I always overcook them and smoosh them down with a spatula. Too bad I cant get the same moistness, but I suppose when you dip them in the soup they soften up anyway.

Meals like that you love not because of the way they taste, but because of the fantastic memories they bring back :)

Edited by DCIMelloMom

DCI should put out a corps cookbook.  It would have the best recipies from all the corps (scaled down, of course).  I would love to sample some food from corps other than Pioneer and Glassmen.

That would be cool! I had a dream one night that all corps were parked in the Alamo Dome Parking lot, and it was this massive potluck; where corps members were able to pick and choose which corps they wanted to eat at. You never went hungry in Seattle Cascades, and from what I hear, Vanguard is the same way (very nice cook staff!)

Don't know if it's still true but in the mid to late 70's, no one had a better cook staff than Phantom Regiment. One of the drum corps magazines at the time published a story on them. I came from SoCal drum corps where peanut butter and jelly had attained sort of an iconic stature. I don't think we ever had PB & J in the Regiment. Seemed like we had a hot lunch every day unless we were really scrambling to be somewhere. A lot of us ate better on tour than we did at home!

We had PB&J out for those who wanted to eat more, when not everyone else in line had gotten food...or for when we ran out of the particular meal being served after everyone had got their food... PB&J was good on tour, lots of variety for the Jelly! :-)

• 1 month later...
Baby back ribs with corn on the cob, baked beans, and cole slaw

Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream

Santa Clara Vanguard ROCKS!!! :blink:

You guys actually ate like that!?

I used to get excited for grilled cheese day.