Favorites corps cook recipes

You guys actually ate like that!?

I used to get excited for grilled cheese day.

Actually in Houston this year, we cooked "short ribs" for the corps. We all thought they were kinda burnt, but the members just couldn't thank us enough, regardless. I also helped make this massive amount of macaroni salad. It took all afternon to boil the huge amount of macaroni for that much salad. But HEY! I was giving back to a corps that gave ME so much, so it was kinda neat to get to be involved on the other side.

Since this thread is about corps food, I really have to give a shout out to anybody who served on a corps support staff this summer. And I'd like to personally thank the ones who helped out on Miss Amana (SCV's food truck). They are some of the hardest working people I've ever met. :blink: (Linda - You are amazing! :blink::tic::blink: ) And you can tell just how much each of them truly loves the corps and its members. If you've never been on a food truck in Texas in the middle of the summer with the oven's and warmers running, well... let's just say in Houston in July, it was cooler outside the truck in the middle of the day.

My all time favorite drum corps meal: SCV's world famous Chicken Broccoli!

I had the extreme priviledge of getting to help prepare Chicken Broccoli in San Antonio. (It was actually the one thing I just had to help cook before I left. ) I lost count of how many 1 gallon cans of cream of Chicken soup I had to open that day! The corps loved it as much as I remember.

sigh...

B)

Edited by bradrick

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, oh man did I ever miss out! We had to break 80 before we got sugared cereal. At retreat the night we would break 80, when we were called to parade rest after coming to attention after the score was announced, the horn line would shout out "Fruit Loops!".

And in 1988, I ate 252 PB&J sandwiches (yes, I counted them that year). Then there was the year we had olive loaf/mystery meat for lunch for most of first tour.

What it must have been like to eat like that on tour - wow. b**bs

gail royer's beef stew

gail royer's chili

for breakfast, you had to get up ###### early if you wanted peanut butter capn cruch.

for after show snack, you had to be pretty ###### fast if you wanted some mystic mints.

I had gail royer's beef stew when our buses broke down just outside of L.A. Half the corps went on to perform in exhibition while the rest of us were stuck in the dessert. Once we were rescued by BD buses, SCV had food all ready for us. Mmm was it just the thing on an empty stomach! :blink:

My favorite cuisine was the time our corps director made a bet with us members. He said if we beat Spirit, he would put us up in a hotel and cook BBQ Chicken on the grill. Needless to say we beat them several times and he provided the chicken, corn on the cob, baked beans, cole slaw and dinner rolls. For desert we had Crossmen's famous Cookie Salad. YUM!

Can't really think of my favorite, but whenever we had the vegetarian lasagna, most of it ended up in the trash and they had to restock the PB&J.

I do remember in Dekalb in '93. I had the snack after the show, was still hungry, and ended up eating 10 PB&J sandwiches. I was still hungry, but had to stop because my jaw hurt. And I weighed a whopping 135 pounds!

Ziti-anyone who's been in BD know's what I'm talking about. We ate that a lot during the week. Quick and easy. The only problem is when they served it with sausage (sometimes). I didn't know sausage should be green(ish). :P

In '83 we had to eat surplus bologna and cheese the last week of tour. I won't go into details but it was something to do with cash flow I think?

In '84 we had the famous "rare" roast beef at Furman University a week before the end of tour. I have pictures, but they are best not to be seen.

We did have a number of good meals in Blue Devils, but I don't think I joined the corps for the food. Most of the food staff found ways to "entertain" themselves on tour while we were rehearsing, so we ate what they cooked (if they remembered what to cook). I always enjoyed eating with other corps when invited. I think we did that a few times with SCV and with Phantom (we shared housing in '84 on tour once and didn't kill each other). I was always envious of the Freelancers because they always ate really well. I also agree that if you didn't get up early enough in BD, you missed out on Cap'n Crunch.