The Postcards Are In!

Yeah, only she's not a giant rectangle

Hahahahaha!!!

OK...now that I've picked myself back off the floor...

Yeah...the postcards don't do it for me either... I see the concept, but it seems to me that the time, money, and effort to design, build, maintain, and transport the things can't be worth the slight bump in GE Vis that they may be getting. I would imagine that Spirit's new "mass wardrobe malfunction" is going to garner just as much GE as Colts postcards.... just my $.02

a giant rectangle!!....too funny...

reminds me of that "They Might Be Giants" song "Triangle Man"....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: Hmmmmm....more of a distraction than half nude Carmen prancing around?  oooo, sorry...that's PART of the show.  My bad.  I asked for opinions.  Thanks for giving them... ^0^

have you ever seen the opera carmen? carmen is SUPPOSED to be a distraction. everyone is supposed to lust after her. she obviously got your attention, mission accomplished B)

Having seen the show a few times with the postcards in, and a few runthroughs without them -- they do not use them in rehearsal -- they add absolutely NOTHING to the show. Their staging on the field is more or less out of the way, despite the fact that the printing on them is too small to read from the stands.

They ARE a distraction... in fact, for the morning show in Indy, Colts staff/volunteers actually pushed the postcards out into the end-zone DURING the Mandarins opener. I was standing in the tunnel leading into the stands (right around side 2's 40), and as soon as they wheeled them out, the entire audience turned their heads away from the Mandarins on the field to witness 3 colorful billboards-on-wheels being maneuvered along the endzone wall.

It's not too late to scrap them, but the fact is the orginaztion paid a fair amount of money to have them designed and manufactured. I highly doubt they would just throw away all that money like that.

Ahh. . . learning from history. . . being a student of drum corps past, present and future. . .

In 1987 (yes, I'm old) the Star of Indiana did a Circus Show. At the beginning of the season they had these giant circular cages on the back sideline. There was a guard member inside each one, doing acrobatic tricks like you would see on a high-wire act in a circus. These things were HUGE. They were easily 15 feet in diameter, and required an extra semi-truck just to carry them around.

They did not work at all. Major distraction. Major logistical nightmare. Major design focus problem. You literally could not take your eyes off of them, and there was nowhere to hide them once their novelty had worn off.

So. . .

To say that something won't be taken out of a show because you've already invested money in them. . . perhaps isn't the greatest idea in the world.

Myself, as an alum, and as a designer. . . I was immediately worried when the Colts started talking about how great their show was going to be once the props were in.

Seriously, all it takes to get into Finals is to march and play and program better than your immediate competitors. Putting giant cardboard props on the field doesn't enhance a show unless you've desiged the visual program to somehow interact and highlight the prop.

Other corps that have had limited success with props would be the 1996 Cadets, 1996 Carolina Crown, 1997 Carolina Crown, the Velvet Knights (in a very humorous way from 1987 - 1992), and the 1992 and 1996 Blue Devils. 1987 SCV. . . but all of those props had significant GE moments and were incorporated into the overall design of the program. . . AND were present from the beginning.

Can props be effective? Absolutely. Look at the "1313" door in the Cadets' show this year. Look at the airplane prop in Seattle's show this year. . . when they hit the drill right.

The Colts need to continue to work on marching and playing well. "Design" doesn't get you into the Saturday night show. . . performance does. "Design" becomes more important when making minor distinctions between high-performing groups. . .

I looked over Saturday afternoon and said what the heck are those while Mandarins were on. I don't think they add much, if anything at all.

The guard is really technically good but they seemed a little old-fashioned to me. Like they are stuck in a mid-nineties time warp.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

As they were moving the props off the field last night in WV, one of the postcards' support beams snapped back and nailed one of the bus driver's head. She was taken to the hospital and needed stitches. The corps was delayed leaving the show for a couple of hours while she was away.

As they were moving the props off the field last night in WV, one of the postcards' support beams snapped back and nailed one of the bus driver's head.  She was taken to the hospital and needed stitches.  The corps was delayed leaving the show for a couple of hours while she was away.

Wow, just wow! I hope she is okay!

As they were moving the props off the field last night in WV, one of the postcards' support beams snapped back and nailed one of the bus driver's head.  She was taken to the hospital and needed stitches.  The corps was delayed leaving the show for a couple of hours while she was away.

<**> That's terrible! What a nightmare those postcards have turned out to be for everyone. Poor Colts.............work your butt off all summer and get criticized for your stupid props. Sigh..... :(