175 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to be the 2005 World Champion

• Cadet
    • Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Madison
    • Bluecoats

cadets and cavies are in a league of their own this year.  nobody else should even be on this list.  its ridiculous, really.  GOOOO CADETS!  :)

finals night---  cadets 98.9    cavies 98.5  phantom 96.8

I don't know how true that is, though you certainly may wish it to be true because of your loyalties.

I am sure everyone felt the same way in 1996. With two weeks to go before Finals (just like now), Devils were beating Regiment by 3 points. We all know what happened.

Now, especially with three corps so tightly packed, I don't know if it can be claimed that Cadets and Cavaliers are clearly in a league of their own. Sure enough, they are outscoring everyone right now...but there's still 2 weeks and anything can happen.

I'm not saying Devils/Regiment/Scouts will take a title, but...I don't know how much that 3-point lead will hold up over the next few weeks.

I am sure everyone felt the same way in 1996.  With two weeks to go before Finals (just like now), Devils were beating Regiment by 3 points.  We all know what happened.

What exactly DID happen with Phantom in 1996? What did they do to claw their way to 1st at finals?

What exactly DID happen with Phantom in 1996?  What did they do to claw their way to 1st at finals?

Well, I can't speak for the guys and gals of Regimetn 1996 because I am not one of them. However, I saw their show that year in Rockford, and thought to myself "this is a championship show."

However, the had a lot to overcome.

First, there was the bias that Regiment was the "best corps never to win a title." Then there was the fact that Regiment had been 5th ad the 1995 DCI Finals. (hmm...) Those two factors, I believe, played a subconscious role in many judges' minds when rating them that summer.

Also playing into that was the fact that Regiment was known for always scoring low in percussion.

I honestly think that Regiment was a title-contending show all summer long, but due to some of the unconscious biases, they sat in 4-5th place most of the summer. At the last show before DCI Quarterfinals, Regiment pulled to less than a point from the front-running Blue Devils and beat the Cavaliers by over a point. This was with a youngish and fairly progressive judging panel, though. Then along comes Quarters, with the older and more "seasoned" judges, and voila! They are suddenly 4 points down from Devils, and 1 point down from Cavaliers.

Some honestly think it was a preconceived bias, and I do too, but I think it was mostly subconscious....Phantom Regiment was just not supposed to win DCI titles...I mean, that had been drilled into people's heads for years.

What happened, I think, is that people simply could not deny that Regiment was getting even better over all three nights. Even with that, it still took an "off" night by the Blue Devils for Regiment to at least tie for the title.

One would hope that those biases are fast disappearing now, but the fact is, they are probably replaced by a whole different sort of bias regarding the new "top three." Here's to hoping they can overcome those. :)

This poll suggests, follow-the-herd mentality

Why? You can't see the results until after you vote.

I think "The Fans" should've been an option.

NICE !!

6 votes for the Bluecoats and 5 for the Blue Devils?? Seriously?

This reveals two things:

1) The Bloo Borg is in full effect - some who voted for Bloo probably ACTUALLY think that the Bluecoats can win it all this year. I mean, this is probably their best show ever, and in a few years maybe, but I don't see them even gaining 5th, let alone first this year. Sheesh.

2) People are underestimating the Blue Devils. I've listened to the APD, seen the clips, and watched the video from Europe - I personally don't like the show at all, but this is BD, y'all. If anyone could make up 3.5 points and blow the roof off Foxboro, it's them.

I heard most of the blue devils are getting over their "illness" they had for about 2 weeks. and its showing.. that 3 point gap is now a 2 point gap..

Cadets Cavaliers Phantom Regiment AND Blue Devils are coming to Foxboro to tear the roof off.

My Finals prediction:

Cadets/Blue Devils - 98.8

Cavaliers/Phantom - 98.4

Heh, if there's a Blue Borg in this thread, it's for the Blue Devils. I saw the show in Indy, and really it's not a program that's going to take them to a title. Phantom was clearly better, and Madison might be too.

I'd be shocked if it is not a two-horse race, at this point.