Completely Meaningless Predictions

Some completely random and totally wacky predictions...if they don't come true, it won't matter much, since my favourite corps has apparently stepped up big time this year, and that is much more important to me.

1. Phantom Regiment

The case for: Outstanding brass book, performed very well. Outstanding percussion, performed outstandingly well. Much improved guard (could be their one weakness, who knows, depends on whether they catch fire like they apparently did at Indy). Much improved drill design...these boys are moving, and they are pretty clean from the video I've seen and reviews I've read.

The case against: The abovementioned guard. The fact that they were 5th last year and that may hold some subconscious sway with some judges. The fact that they aren't really conforming to what DCI seems to have become in the modern era.

2. (tie) Cavaliers

The case for: Very clean and demanding drill. Beautifully balanced horns. Aggressive percussion, and fantastic guard.

The case against: 4 out of the last 5 titles (and don't think for a second that this doesn't subconsciously affect some adjudicators). Brass book not as demanding (in my own opinion, if yours differs, great!) than the Cadets or Regiment.

2. (tie) Garfield Cadets

The case for: Very modern and abstract show programming. Fantastic brass line and superb percussion. Guard is out of this world. Finally toppled the Cavaliers after a couple of years.

The case against: Strange and abstract show concept works both in favour and against. Can they sell the show on Finals night?

4. Madison Scouts

The case for: Extremely exciting show, great horn book, one of their best percussion lines ever, strong guard, strong GE.

The case against: Holdover bias from their weaker productions of years recently passed? Horns tend to overbalance and stick out at times. Would be a huge leap from 7th to 1st.

5. Bluecoats

The case for: Strongest hornline, great visual and color guard, and outstanding percussion. Enjoyable show.

The case for: Enough "wow" moments? Breaking into the Top Five is difficult for any corps.

6. Blue Devils

The case for: As always, a great hornline, good drumline, and whiplash drill.

The case against: There are many great hornlines this year that seem to have caught up with the Devs. Statistics: Even if you've been in the top 5 for 30 years, the law of averages catches up with you at some point.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

The case for: It's the Vangaurd, dude...strong drumline, good brass.

The case against: Sloppy execution of visual elements, colorguard, failure to blend and balance at times.

8. Carolina Crown.

The case for: Strongest hornline in years. Fantastic color guard as usual.

The case against: None really...they're still a youngish corps, working their way up and impressing me more year after year.

9. Boston Crusaders

The case for: Enjoyable show, strong visual program.

The case against: Very young corps, especially the percussion line.

10. Glassmen

The case for: Interesting show concept, decent GE scores compared to corps above, good percussion scores last few shows.

The case against: Brass not as strong, some "scratch-your-head" balance problems at times...young corps?

11. Blue Knights

The case for: Strong visual program, good color guard.

The case against: Too many other strong corps in the general vicinity of 9-12 place.

12. Colts

The case for: I'd like to see them back in Finals. :P

The case against: See above. :)

*None of these predictions should be taken seriously.

Some completely random and totally wacky predictions...if they don't come true, it won't matter much, since my favourite corps has apparently stepped up big time this year, and that is much more important to me.

1. Phantom Regiment

The case for:  Outstanding brass book, performed very well.  Outstanding percussion, performed outstandingly well.  Much improved guard (could be their one weakness, who knows, depends on whether they catch fire like they apparently did at Indy).  Much improved drill design...these boys are moving, and they are pretty clean from the video I've seen and reviews I've read.

The case against: The abovementioned guard.  The fact that they were 5th last year and that may hold some subconscious sway with some judges.  The fact that they aren't really conforming to what DCI seems to have become in the modern era.

2. (tie) Cavaliers

The case for:  Very clean and demanding drill. Beautifully balanced horns.  Aggressive percussion, and fantastic guard.

The case against:  4 out of the last 5 titles (and don't think for a second that this doesn't subconsciously affect some adjudicators).  Brass book not as demanding (in my own opinion, if yours differs, great!) than the Cadets or Regiment.

2. (tie) Garfield Cadets

The case for: Very modern and abstract show programming.  Fantastic brass line and superb percussion.  Guard is out of this world.  Finally toppled the Cavaliers after a couple of years. 

The case against: Strange and abstract show concept works both in favour and against.  Can they sell the show on Finals night?

4. Madison Scouts

The case for: Extremely exciting show, great horn book, one of their best percussion lines ever, strong guard, strong GE.

The case against: Holdover bias from their weaker productions of years recently passed?  Horns tend to overbalance and stick out at times.  Would be a huge leap from 7th to 1st.

5. Bluecoats

The case for:  Strongest hornline, great visual and color guard, and outstanding percussion.  Enjoyable show.

The case for: Enough "wow" moments?  Breaking into the Top Five is difficult for any corps.

6. Blue Devils

The case for:  As always, a great hornline, good drumline, and whiplash drill.

The case against: There are many great hornlines this year that seem to have caught up with the Devs.  Statistics: Even if you've been in the top 5 for 30 years, the law of averages catches up with you at some point.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

The case for: It's the Vangaurd, dude...strong drumline, good brass.

The case against: Sloppy execution of visual elements, colorguard, failure to blend and balance at times.

8. Carolina Crown. 

The case for: Strongest hornline in years.  Fantastic color guard as usual.

The case against: None really...they're still a youngish corps, working their way up and impressing me more year after year.

9. Boston Crusaders

The case for:  Enjoyable show, strong visual program.

The case against:  Very young corps, especially the percussion line.

10.  Glassmen

The case for:  Interesting show concept, decent GE scores compared to corps above, good percussion scores last few shows.

The case against:  Brass not as strong, some "scratch-your-head" balance problems at times...young corps?

11.  Blue Knights

The case for:  Strong visual program, good color guard.

The case against:  Too many other strong corps in the general vicinity of 9-12 place.

12.  Colts

The case for:  I'd like to see them back in Finals.  :P

The case against:  See above.  :)

*None of these predictions should be taken seriously.

:) Except the one about the COLTS! GO COLTS YOU ROCK!!

"Rabid COLTS fan b**bs "

6. Blue Devils

The case for:  As always, a great hornline, good drumline, and whiplash drill.

The case against: There are many great hornlines this year that seem to have caught up with the Devs.  Statistics: Even if you've been in the top 5 for 30 years, the law of averages catches up with you at some point.

When did they change drill writers?? :rolleyes:

12.  Colts

The case for:  I'd like to see them back in Finals.  :P

The case against:  See above.  :)

I'd like to see them in the top 12 again. The years they were in they were very entertaining. ^OO^