Slotting

Guest DrumCorpFan

Guest DrumCorpFan

The thread starter has no comment??? :huh::worthy:

OK, here's one that I can't believe anyone has said (although I don't believe it).

Phantom unamped, beaten by Madison.

Phantom amped, leaps two points over Madison in just a few days.

Edited by DrumCorpFan

Colts beat SCV in guard tonight in West Virginia; 16.7 to 16.5. Next person that wants to talk about slotting, kindly step over for a beat down. ^0^

they also beat SCV in visual ensemble at the Indy show.

Seriously, you REALLY think DCI is going to put the Colts over SCV (regardless of performance)??? It won't happen this year. You are naive to think that slotting is NOT an integral part of DCI.

1-2 will only be between Cadets and Cavies

3-6 will only be among BD, PR, Madison, Bluecoats

7-9 will only be among BAC, SCV, Crown

10-12 MAY actually have 5 corps fighting for 3 spots, GMen, BK, Spirit, Xmen, Colts

To add a little 'excitement', on finals night you may actual see a 'fringe swap (ie. 9/10 flip flop) or a tie.

We can hope for something different but you can already see it in the way spreads are allotted.

PS. Top 8 is where a corps REALLY wants to be as that effects how much they get paid for shows next year.

Seriously, you REALLY think DCI is going to put the Colts over SCV (regardless of performance)??? It won't happen this year. You are naive to think that slotting is NOT an integral part of DCI.

1-2 will only be between Cadets and Cavies

3-6 will only be among BD, PR, Madison, Bluecoats

7-9 will only be among BAC, SCV, Crown

10-12 MAY actually have 5 corps fighting for 3 spots, GMen, BK, Spirit, Xmen, Colts

OK so you've outlined the groupings that have occured in the placements, and you've claimed this is due to slotting. But i say isn't slotting just the natural groupings occuring based on the corps performances?

Can anyone who was at the murph and indy honestly tell me there wasn't an obvious performance gap between 1,2 & 3-6? Can anyone tell me there wasn't an obvious performance gap between 6 & 7-9?

I have not seen many shows this year so I don't know for sure but from what i've read in reviews it sounds like Cadets and Cavies are slightly better than the group behind them. Will PR catch them? maybe, but maybe not. So if PR doesn't catch them the slotting theorists will be in full force saying see the corps were slotted at indy and there it stood. but what if at finals every one agrees that PR wasn't quite as good as the top 2?

Also what if PR breaks into the top 2 by finals? will that be the end of the slotting theory? I doubt it.

Last year I went to Denver. And as much as I wanted Bluecoats to give PR a run for the money for 5th I could see the obvious gap between PR and the 4 corps group behind them. And even though I thought Bluecoats were better than the next 3 corps I could see that the 4 group pack was actually very much in the same competitive position and it just depended on the corps performances and the judges read on each particular night.

Yes Slotting happens, but the question is this. Is slotting a conspiracy by the judges to place corps in an order and leave them there? or is slotting a natural grouping of competitors with other corps they are competitive with and reflecting obvious gaps between competitive groups?

I think the last few years since some of the mid level top twelve corps have gotten better they have started to knock on the doors of the perennial powers in more and more captions thus allowing them to move closer and close the competitive gaps. This only makes for more interesting seasons and a chance in the future to actually have a discussion about who might win next year and talking about more than just 3 or 4 corps.

just my 2 pesos

Well, Strutta, if slotting is so obvious and so integral, please tell me the last time we had a top twelve that looked anything like this one? Or even a top six? Yes, there are the distinct tiers that you mentioned, but since these tiers are not in any way based on anything other than this season, doesn't it seem more reasonable to suppose that these corps are actually being placed on the level that they are performing? It's amazing to see SCV in 9th, with 'Coats, Scouts, and Regiment nearly catching Blue Devils, and yet people still cry slotting.

Edited by Maedhros

Guest DrumCorpFan
Well, Strutta, if slotting is so obvious and so integral, please tell me the last time we had a top twelve that looked anything like this one?  Or even a top six?  Yes, there are the distinct tiers that you mentioned, but since these tiers are not in any way based on anything other than this season, doesn't it seem more reasonable to suppose that these corps are actually being placed on the level that they are performing?  It's amazing to see SCV in 9th, with 'Coats, Scouts, and Regiment nearly catching Blue Devils, and yet people still cry slotting.

Yes, I agree. If slotting were happening, BD would be top 3 not 3-6.

Yes, I agree.  If slotting were happening, BD would be top 3 not 3-6.

Well...early in the season...there is definitely a trend for judges to judge based on the season before's positions.

However, at this time of year...all that has been pretty much sorted out and IMHO the judges are calling it how they see it and it seems fairly accurate based on the little i have seen live and on DCI live.

I am still feeling like we will have a couple of surprises come next week!

Peace!

To add a little 'excitement', on finals night you may actual see a 'fringe swap (ie. 9/10 flip flop) or a tie.

Sure, that caveat gives you just enough room to make your slotting comment. However, if your slots prove inaccurate it will simply because 'they' wanted to add some excitement.