Pittsburgh, PA

Okay then..no problem, sorry I jumped the gun, just been defensive lately cause some people haven't been as nice as you for sure. :)

I've got "moving stress syndrome"..lol :P

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay then..no problem, sorry I jumped the gun, just been defensive lately cause some people haven't been as nice as you for sure.  :)

I've got "moving stress syndrome"..lol :P

I understand. I had a not-so-funny thought while scouting out the souvie trailers tonight. I saw all those shirts and stuff targeting band kids and I wondered if we'll see (corps name here) woodwind line shirts in a few years like with drum and brass line shirts :sshh:

This has been a dream season for me div 1 wise.

I would love to see the Cadets win it all...but this will do for now. Finally an abstract thought getting some attention 'round these parts...rather than frames, laundry settings, and james bond.

actually I felt that the Cadets won tonight, out right. I was sitting close and feet and formation in spots (not just the new closer) were a little off today for the Cavies. and I quite enjoyed the "drum speak" section of the Cadets show. the vocal stuff that I really did not enjoy was Seattle Cascades. I kinda felt at times like they didnt think I an audience member could comprehend their show. I dont know, maybe I tired. Blue Knights were my corps of the night, I loved that show. and kudos for Pioneer for playing something while trooping the stands!

Edited by leadsopranoman

What happened to all the Cadets' show hatred espoused here by fans after seeing the show once and not giving it a further chance to succeed? I remember multiple threads about how bad the show was and how it was so weird there was no way anyone would ever enjoy it.

Have some opinions changed because the show is now winning? I hope that's not the reason. But I do hope that this is used as a reason for some fans to give shows a chance to develop before declaring the products dead on arrival.

Cadets do have a brilliantly-conceived show. Cavaliers have a wonderful easy-to-appreciate show. And there are corps currently under both the top two corps that have a chance to do amazing things in the last two weeks.

Let's hope for a fabulous three Division I shows in Foxboro. And while we're looking at the top, I hope some additional fans check out the Division II & III shows. If you're looking for something to do on Saturday, check out the II & III Grand Finals in the morning and afternoon, giving you plenty of time to get back to Division I finals. I think a lot of fans would be shocked at the quality of the Division II & III corps.

What happened to all the Cadets' show hatred espoused here by fans after seeing the show once and not giving it a further chance to succeed? I remember multiple threads about how bad the show was and how it was so weird there was no way anyone would ever enjoy it.

Mike I was wondering the same thing....I guess the new thing now is to hate the Cavaliers because they win so much and it has become 'boring'...go figure... :worthy:

This has been a dream season for me div 1 wise.

I would love to see the Cadets win it all...but this will do for now. Finally an abstract thought getting some attention 'round these parts...rather than frames, laundry settings, and james bond.

The Cadets show isn't abstract. They are using specific props and references to tell a story, of sorts. Any show with narrative or thematic elements can't be considered abstract. In fact the only major corps to show up with something that could truly be considered 'abstract' anytime in recent history would be ....

Star '93. They didn't tell the 'story' of Medea - they just played the music and moved in manners appropriate to the tenor of that music.

ehh - I think you may have missed about twenty or thirty triangles in the show - and maybe a wheat field thrown in for good measure  :P

a triangle is a story? or a theme? only relates to Medea in very general ways (and considering the high levels of relative cultural illiteracy, I doubt that many people would even get the reference...)

there wasn't anything resembling a literal wheatfield, as far as i could see - but i DID see a 'door' and 'costumes' in the Cadets show, both of which represented - doors and costumes.... :P

the entire drill was based around triangles - as were the props used by the guard to build the statue in the opener, the polls were broom sticks, the wedge the members stopped in and then spun around was a wheat field

all representations of the story of medea - the entire program was chocked full of this stuff - your post made it sound as if they just made pretty shapes unrelated to the story in any manner - that would be nonliteral

there's a difference between obvious and literal