SCV 2005: most underated show of all time?

well, I just got home from nightbeat, and I just want to say the show was amazing.. every corps was on fire tonight.

I was watching SCV tonight, and I can not BELIEVE they are getting negative reviews, and such low scores. the hornline tore my face apart, the drumline was amazing, and even the visual aspect wasn't terrible. The visual program isn't getting justice.

this seriously qualifies as one of my most underated shows of ALL time, if not THE most underated show of all time.

~>conner

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the music in this show is very strong and in Indy in the evening and I really felt that they clicked much better than in the afternoon. They are definitely a strong corps and I would not be surprised at all to see them ultimately pass Boston and maybe even Crown (although that is a stretch).

However, I think you hit it right on the head when you described their visual program as not "terrible". Let's face it, if that's the best that the visual can be called, then 7-9 is about right in my book. I think they are right where they should be given the visual problems and the somewhat uneven music.

Well, I will reserve my judgement until finals week. I've always enjoyed SCV's shows. But the last time I saw them (before they left CA), the show to me was just kind of dull. Wasn't much impact and connection with the audience. The biggest crowd connection (as I saw it) early in the year was the high stepping during RCM, and that was taken out when they re-did the closer. The show just didn't interest me musically or visually. But - I am REALLY looking forward to seeing them again next week. I expect I'll have a different take on it then.

Edited by gdisney

Intense? yes. Well-designed? not compared to the corps above them. Seriously, the music makes no sense to me. At least Cadets 2001 had some transition to it, but this goes from cluttered noise to basic chords in a moment's notice. I like the 12th. I like RCM. I don't think they work at all in the same show, and the arranger did nothing to tie them in together.

Most shows give you peaks and valleys, looking something like a bell curve if you graphed it out. SCV '05 resembles a bar graph, with one solid column sticking straight up in the middle (I had a great visual all made out, but these forum boards seem to post a bunch of spaces next to each as only one character...). And when the visual isn't any better, you're looking at a mediocre product.

Well, I will reserve my judgement until finals week.  I've always enjoyed SCV's shows.  But the last time I saw them (before they left CA), the show to me was just kind of dull.  Wasn't much impact and connection with the audience.  The biggest crowd connection (as I saw it) early in the year was the high stepping during RCM, and that was taken out when they re-did the closer. The show just didn't interest me musically or visually.  But - I am REALLY looking forward to seeing them again next week.  I expect I'll have a different take on it then.

I agree, I think SCV had a very rough start this season but I know a few people in there hornline and they are very deticated people. So im sure they are all working as hard as they possiblely can. But Before they left CA I found their show very un- Vanguard. Nonetheless they still are Vanguard and I hope to see them at least in the top five.

they are getting better i believe.. but.. its a little late... someone said they were an extremely young corps this year. and i remember watching in san antonio.. it really looked like a bunch of rookies out there.. yeah, they sound loud, but it wasn't anything like last year, and the marching technique, or lack thereof... i saw two or three guys/girls out of step, phasing everywhere in the feet..

and my buddy said that he attended a vanguard rehearsal two weeks ago and said that the information the staff was giving them just wasn't very good information..

this show could be a lot better, and score a lot better, but this years corps and this years staff just didn't have it together when they needed to.

I love Vanguard. Always have. But I downloaded their latest APD and was surprised by the lack of clarity from the brassline. They sounded young and unsure...the ensemble just wasn't the usual Santa Clara sound.

Based on the audio alone, I can see why they are down a bit. And according to the scores, their visual is weaker than their music captions.

They are simply victim of having a slightly down year, like all corps have at one time or another, BUT many other corps are experiencing a great season, which makes SCV stick out like a sore thumb.

One of the problems with drum corps as an activity (please don't tell me to leave DCI forever :P ) is that when we like a show, we believe that it should win. SCV is one of the few top corps that refuses to follow the modern "formula" for victory. I'm proud of them for that, but don't expect them to place high because they produce emotionally entertaining shows. DCI doesn't value that type of show right now...hopefully that'll change soon.

I agree with you, SCV 2005 are very entertaining and fun to watch, so just enjoy the show regardless of the scores.

My belief is that fans should financially support corps that produce their favorite shows because the only thing that talks louder than scores is MONEY! :)