SCV 2005: most underated show of all time?

Saw the show in Indy, and it struck me that it's one of the few shows I've seen that actually comes together as a whole, as opposed to a series of cool moments or extreme hits. Maybe balance is taking a back seat this year. Watching other shows reminds me of watching a poorly edited movie - way too many quick cuts and clever effects, way too little thought given to the total production as a whole. This is one show I'll remember in its entirety, not a few fleeting memories of a moment or two that blew me away. IMHO, putting together a show like SCV did this year is a sign of maturity and self discipline, regardless of what the box scores show. Can't wait to see them again in A-town.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 is def not gettign the credit...but i thik their most underrated show in recent memory has to last year 2004...what an amazing amazing show. musically so solid and the effects and all that they added drill wise...wow..easily the best overall show last year and in my opinion in about 5 years..i still think they should have won.....but that is me...but yeah def an uinderrated show and takes a back seat to alot others.

^Couldn't agree more about 2004. I have yet to see 2005, and probably won't, but 2004 was more than just exciting. It told a story, and was the show design that the judges were looking for... but for some reason the judges felt that jumping up to 3rd would keep Vanguard happy.

Yeah, Cavies drill was a little better, and the Blue Devils show was cleaner; but SCV 2004 had everything. I happen to know for a fact that the judges told Vanguard that nothing needed to change (show design-wise). The only reason the drill changed in the closer at the beginning of the season was because the saff wanted to amp-up the production (basically make it more demanding)

... ok

Is it true that SCV has placed in the Top 7 at Finals every year for the past however many years? Or is that just my imagination? Somebody surely knows their track record w/o having to look it up on CorpsReps. Anyway, if that is true, it looks like this year might break that.

I think 2005 SCV is not underated. I think it is a great middle of the finals pack show. I think the main reason many people feel it is underated is:

1. It is SCV.

2. It is is classic SCV music.

3. Last year's show was som awesome that there was hope/expectations that were higher for this year.

They are a young corps that will definitely get better, but they are dirty. The drumline is still really dirty. I have seen them in the lot and from the stands about 10 to 15 times this year. They just cut another snare drummer... you don't do that with a few weeks to go if you are clean....

Love the show, love the corps, but not underated.

Yes, the show is under-rated.

-Don't judge the clarity from a San Antonio APD, no one has clarity with the echo in that place

-The drum scores refuse to give credit for the meaty book.

-The visual program, while their weakest point, is certainly not as bad as most like to describe.

-It's one of the few shows this year that actually takes you somewhere emotionally. Many others seem to be a "bag of tricks" with cool moments executed well individually. Few others have the range of emotion that SC brings to the field.

As has been mentioned 1000 times this summer... ;) SCV has never been lower than 7th in the DCI era. They finished 7th in '80, '92, and '93.

I was at NightBeat as well, and I attended their afternoon rehearsal block. I am in love with this show, I was so amped after they performed. (AND the high mark time to march off, nice!) But Crown went right after them (my second viewing of Crown this year), and they are absolutely on fire. I do not see SCV beating Crown in the end despite how much I love this show.

I WOULD, however, like to see SCV make a move on Boston, I didn't like Boston's show so much in late June.