rantings on Nightbeat

okay, I enjoyed the show VERY much. every corps was awesome, and they really showed me a good time.

Concessions 80.15

meh, they have a horrible way of doing stuff at nightbeat. with the exception of corps merchandise, you have to go to a booth and buy tokens to buy everything. this wouldn't be so bad if there were only 2 booths to buy tokens. The lines to buy tokens are HORRIBLE. so if you just want a bottle of dr. pepper, you seriously have to wait 15 minutes to get tokens, and then another 5 to get the drink itself. dreadful. BUT the overall taste of the food was good. I had some bojangles fries/chicken and I really enjoyed it.

Memphis Sound my score: 80.15 ((actual score 79.15))

heh, I was looking forward to seeing this show for a long time, and I wasn't dissapointed. It was a very enjoyable show. VERY nicely arranged, and nicely played. there brass line is kind of small, but they managed to play the show very well overall. There were some early baritone splats a few times, and one nasty hangover, but I didn't mind. I have heard hype from this drumline, and it was true. The drumline was on fire tonight... definetely one of [the] corps strong points. The guard was good. Not GREAT, but they did what needed to be done. I dont remember anything really extraordinary from the guard though. I was surprized at the visual program written for the corps. very good drill, that manages use most of the field. good show GREAT way to open up nightbeat.

Jersey Surf my score: 83.5 ((actual score 81.25))

They were a crowd favorite for sure. Pretty big hornline, and it reflected. they sounded like a division 1 hornline (plus they have 10 contras.) The new uniforms are awesome. They seemed to have an aura around them that showed they always try to put on a show not just for the judges, but for the crowd. the drumline was clean, but didn't really do anything great. The colorguard was also big for division 2, and they managed to stay pretty clean. the guard had pretty cool outfits... They would have stuck out if the corps uniforms didn't have the same colors. Good show, thought they were a little underscored.

Spartans my score: 90 ((actual score 89.7))

okay, let me start off by saying this show seems to sound almost exactly like last years Medussa. It's not bad, I just wish they would play something other than Key Poulan (even though his stuff is good.) They were the cleanest division 2 corps, and obviously the score reflects. they had a clean hornline, and a VERY clean drumline. I was pretty shocked when I saw the size of the drumline... big for division 2, and above average for division 1. the hornline looks like it stayed the same as last year, but they seem louder (although I never saw them live last year) They were good, just not different.

Esperanza my score: 76.3 ((actual score 76.95))

is it just me, or is the hornline even smaller than last year? sure does seem like it. The drumline was WAY to big for the size of the hornline. The balance was horrible. I could hear the drumline over EVERYTHING even when they were backfield. The brass (from what I heard) were good, and played very interesting music. Like I've said already, I really wish the hornline would A- Play louder or B- get bigger. Cool show, small hornline, large drumline, decent showing.

Southwind my score: 80.2 ((actual score 78.55))

One of the Crowd favorites for sure. Southwind threw down tonight. The show design is LIGHTYEARS above last year. They are cleaner now than they were by finals right now as well. Brass had a few splotchy moments, and a few popcorn moments, but they were loud, and very fun to listen to. The drumline had the COOLEST drum break ever. they had the cymbals come up and play the tenors WITH the tenors... awesome. The "sharkos" work well with the show, as do the guard uniforms. My only complaint about the guard, is the fact that there uniforms are a bit distracting at points. They had the crowd going at the end. Awesome show.

Cotls my score: 82.9 ((actual score 82.4))

Brass is ten times better than last year, and the visual program is as well. I was surprized by the design of the show... everything was well incorporated into the program, and the drill went nicely with the music. the past two years, while enjoyable, just weren't designed well. They are using black pants this year, which makes them look much cleaner.. I also think black pants go better with the uniform than the white. still has the potential to make finals. Ido have one question... Where were the postcards? did they decide to take them out?

Santa Clara Vanguard my score 89 ((actual score 86.75))

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. This could quite possibly qualify as the most underated shows of all time. The brass, and the drumline were on fire, and I just dont see how they are scoring low in music. now, to get to the part that everyone says is killing the Vanguard this year. the Visual program. the Visual program is NOT THAT BAD! The drill is not '90'ish, and it is not executed horribly. In fact, SCV's GE visual won with a 17, and that was one of only 2 captions they won. I thought the score between SCV and Crown was about .4

Carolina Crown my score 89.4 ((actual score 88.05))

Let me go ahead and start off by saying they have improved SO much since firstbeat, there guard ecspecially. They had some serious re-writes for drill in the 3rd-4th part. the drumline isn't THAT bad, but could be so much better. The brass didn't have any popcorn moments (at least not serious) like they did at firstbeat, where low brass came in a whole beat early at times. however, honestly, I thought SCV had them in brass, I really did. I thought they were better than SCV, but only by less than a fifth of a point. Like I said, much improvement in every category, and the re-writes work well. They have pretty much the same strengths as last year... CG, and visual. the brass isn't a weakness either, but it's also not a strength. they also have one same weakness, and that is the drumline, although I think they can still pull it together, or at least have a good run.

hope you enjoyed... that took a while to type.

~>conner

I really wish I could have made this show. It's the first one I've missed in years. #### Job. LOL.

Anyway, the concessions issue is not Crown's fault. The stadium is owned by the Mecklenburg County Parks Department and this is how they do concessions for every event at the stadium.

It's a pain but apparently it's their way of doing things.

okay, I enjoyed the show VERY much. every corps was awesome, and they really showed me a good time.

Concessions 80.15

meh, they have a horrible way of doing stuff at nightbeat. with the exception of corps merchandise, you have to go to a booth and buy tokens to buy everything. this wouldn't be so bad if there were only 2 booths to buy tokens. The lines to buy tokens are HORRIBLE. so if you just want a bottle of dr. pepper, you seriously have to wait 15 minutes to get tokens, and then another 5 to get the drink itself. dreadful. BUT the overall taste of the food was good. I had some bojangles fries/chicken and I really enjoyed it.

Memphis Sound my score: 80.15 ((actual score 79.15))

heh, I was looking forward to seeing this show for a long time, and I wasn't dissapointed. It was a very enjoyable show. VERY nicely arranged, and nicely played. there brass line is kind of small, but they managed to play the show very well overall. There were some early baritone splats a few times, and one nasty hangover, but I didn't mind. I have heard hype from this drumline, and it was true. The drumline was on fire tonight... definetely one of [the] corps strong points. The guard was good. Not GREAT, but they did what needed to be done. I dont remember anything really extraordinary from the guard though. I was surprized at the visual program written for the corps. very good drill, that manages use most of the field. good show GREAT way to open up nightbeat.

Jersey Surf my score: 83.5 ((actual score 81.25))

They were a crowd favorite for sure. Pretty big hornline, and it reflected. they sounded like a division 1 hornline (plus they have 10 contras.) The new uniforms are awesome. They seemed to have an aura around them that showed they always try to put on a show not just for the judges, but for the crowd. the drumline was clean, but didn't really do anything great. The colorguard was also big for division 2, and they managed to stay pretty clean. the guard had pretty cool outfits... They would have stuck out if the corps uniforms didn't have the same colors. Good show, thought they were a little underscored.

Spartans my score: 90 ((actual score 89.7))

okay, let me start off by saying this show seems to sound almost exactly like last years Medussa. It's not bad, I just wish they would play something other than Key Poulan (even though his stuff is good.) They were the cleanest division 2 corps, and obviously the score reflects. they had a clean hornline, and a VERY clean drumline. I was pretty shocked when I saw the size of the drumline... big for division 2, and above average for division 1. the hornline looks like it stayed the same as last year, but they seem louder (although I never saw them live last year) They were good, just not different.

Esperanza my score: 76.3 ((actual score 76.95))

is it just me, or is the hornline even smaller than last year? sure does seem like it. The drumline was WAY to big for the size of the hornline. The balance was horrible. I could hear the drumline over EVERYTHING even when they were backfield. The brass (from what I heard) were good, and played very interesting music. Like I've said already, I really wish the hornline would A- Play louder or B- get bigger. Cool show, small hornline, large drumline, decent showing.

Southwind my score: 80.2 ((actual score 78.55))

One of the Crowd favorites for sure. Southwind threw down tonight. The show design is LIGHTYEARS above last year. They are cleaner now than they were by finals right now as well. Brass had a few splotchy moments, and a few popcorn moments, but they were loud, and very fun to listen to. The drumline had the COOLEST drum break ever. they had the cymbals come up and play the tenors WITH the tenors... awesome. The "sharkos" work well with the show, as do the guard uniforms. My only complaint about the guard, is the fact that there uniforms are a bit distracting at points. They had the crowd going at the end. Awesome show.

Cotls my score: 82.9 ((actual score 82.4))

Brass is ten times better than last year, and the visual program is as well. I was surprized by the design of the show... everything was well incorporated into the program, and the drill went nicely with the music. the past two years, while enjoyable, just weren't designed well. They are using black pants this year, which makes them look much cleaner.. I also think black pants go better with the uniform than the white. still has the potential to make finals. Ido have one question... Where were the postcards? did they decide to take them out?

Santa Clara Vanguard my score 89 ((actual score 86.75))

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. This could quite possibly qualify as the most underated shows of all time. The brass, and the drumline were on fire, and I just dont see how they are scoring low in music. now, to get to the part that everyone says is killing the Vanguard this year. the Visual program. the Visual program is NOT THAT BAD! The drill is not '90'ish, and it is not executed horribly. In fact, SCV's GE visual won with a 17, and that was one of only 2 captions they won. I thought the score between SCV and Crown was about .4

Carolina Crown my score 89.4 ((actual score 88.05))

Let me go ahead and start off by saying they have improved SO much since firstbeat, there guard ecspecially. They had some serious re-writes for drill in the 3rd-4th part. the drumline isn't THAT bad, but could be so much better. The brass didn't have any popcorn moments (at least not serious) like they did at firstbeat, where low brass came in a whole beat early at times. however, honestly, I thought SCV had them in brass, I really did. I thought they were better than SCV, but only by less than a fifth of a point. Like I said, much improvement in every category, and the re-writes work well. They have pretty much the same strengths as last year... CG, and visual. the brass isn't a weakness either, but it's also not a strength. they also have one same weakness, and that is the drumline, although I think they can still pull it together, or at least have a good run.

hope you enjoyed... that took a while to type.

~>conner

:P Thanks for the review. This postcard thing is really starting to weird me out.............................................................................

I really wish I could have made this show.  It's the first one I've missed in years.  #### Job.  LOL.

Anyway, the concessions issue is not Crown's fault.  The stadium is owned by the Mecklenburg County Parks Department and this is how they do concessions for every event at the stadium. 

It's a pain but apparently it's their way of doing things.

yeah, I know. It sucks bad though... I went to buy a Crown, and memphis t-shirt, and realized I was thirsty, so I went to go buy some tokens... the line, was horrible.

not to mention it was 3 bucks for a bottle of dr. pepper.

~>conner

I was very impressed with Southwind's show. I like the concept and though the execution was not perfect, a lot of the crowd seemed to really appreciate it.

The one big complaint I have about the show is that I ended up sitting crammed between three high school marching bands. I love that the kids come to see how the activity works, but I would think a director would say something about etiquette. Two of the groups around me never stopped talking, even when asked. These were standard personal conversations in many cases, not even related to the show or corps/band/music/marching at all. It got to the point that when the show was over, I found the director of the group that actually behaved and thanked him for teaching his students to show some respect to people who have worked hours upon hours to perform for them.

Yeah nothing like over priced concessions to get you in the mood for a drum corps show uh? :P

Nice review Conner! :)

Forgot to add this, but I think Crown's performance was one of the most musical marching performances I have seen live - they played with a TON of control.

I heard them in SA and I think their hornline is a definite strength. I don't know if they had an off night when you heard them or what. I see a Jim Ott for these guys in the next few years if they keep their staff intact.

I've got a question. Are all Corps scored on the same 100 point scale? Or are slightly different criteria used to assign scores for Division II and Division III corps than the Division I corps. In other words, when scores are reported from a contest (like Nightbeat) where a Division II Corps posts a higher schore than a Division I corps, is that a real result or one adjusted to account for the supposed difference in the size and resources of the Corps?

I've got a question. Are all Corps scored on the same 100 point scale? Or are slightly different criteria used to assign scores for Division II and Division III corps than the Division I corps. In other words, when scores are reported from a contest (like Nightbeat) where a Division II Corps posts a higher schore than a Division I corps, is that a real result or one adjusted to account for the supposed difference in the size and resources of the Corps?

Divisions II and II have their own scoring system. Basically, if you take a division II/II score and subtract it by 10, that gives you a (very rough) indication of how that particular corps stacks up to their div. I brothers. Well...at least that's my understanding.