I Have Not Seen BD

However, what bothers people is Downey will use alot of the same forms and arranging tricks in the shows lately, making things sound similar.

Ok, I will go along with you on this, if you will agree that the Cavies will do the same visual designs from year-to-year, with minor tweaks to those formations. I liked Cavies last year, because it was quite different than the same thing from them, for however many years it was.

How about the Cadets? They can be just as easily accused of this, as BD and the Cavies. I remember the uproar they got from their 2002 show (the rip-off from the 1995 show).

Basically, most corps' shows will sound and look similar for a few-years string. BD is not at all alone in this, or the number one abuser of this, etc...

Edited by crfrey71

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Chandler has been the caption head at Logan for quite some time, as well as at the Blue Devils, so I don't think that you can really look at it like BD "stole the idea" when it was his idea in the first place! Maybe someone out there can clarify if Scott was the caption head in 1999, but I am 99% positive that he was.

Stole, borrowed, took...doesnt matter, its a re-hash of a previously done show, with upgrade and alterations and is far from fresh, new and cutting edge. I expected more from the winningest corps is DCI history..... <**>

~G~

Every year it's the same reviews...this year seems to be even more vindictive(sp).  I would love to see the corps skip a year and tour Europe and Asia.  And if proven succesful, continue to do so.

Complain about that!

Rob,

I know I dont have to convince you of my love for BD, however, I cant find one sincere positive thing writte about this show yet....the fans hae left, en masse' over this show, I am afraid of seeing it tomorrow night. I cant beleive I am going to hear "Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa" Instead of the best brass line DCI has to offer.....the design of the show sounds awkward, unappealing and the show is a retake on a band show, Chandler & Co. or not....this sounds like a let-down. Add the naaration and Im sorry, Im panicking about now.

~G~

Whay kills me about this thread is that it is a complaint against this year's BD show, when the person admits they haven't seen the show, and they are criticizing it, nonetheless.

I have not seen the Cavies, Cadets, or Phantom this year, therefore, you haven't seen me complaining about these corps' 2005 show (except that I don't like the Cadets uniforms, regardless of how effective they are in the show. Just a uniform complaint.)

i'm wondering how much longer we'll keep hearing these people complain about the narration in bd's show..

please..  for the love of GOD!!    FIND SOMETHING ELSE to complain about!!

for the last time..  IT WORKS with their show..    how else could they describe that the show is a reverse of a dance derby???      NOBODY would have gotten that idea... 

and apparently some STILL don't,    probably cause they're too busy complaining about the narration and not paying attention to whats being narrated.. 

Good luck picking a show next year????      wow..    ...    and what GREAT IDEAS do you have for a show???

Again, if you need to use a verbal expanation to give peopel an idea what a brass, percussion, and colorguard unit is supposed to be conveying, you have missed the boat design wise and need to rething your concept. THe music is suposd to tell the story and teh guard is supposed to enhance it. Its ben working just fine for decades......If you cant think of a clever, outside the box but still creativ eway to get your message across without using a microphine and your voice, you arent being very creative.

True creativity comes when you have a set of rules and you work within those said rules to deliver something new......telling us its a dance derby is hardly cutting edge and hardly wothy of an eleven time championship corps.

~G~

Whay kills me about this thread is that it is a complaint against this year's BD show, when the person admits they haven't seen the show, and they are criticizing it, nonetheless.

I have not seen the Cavies, Cadets, or Phantom this year, therefore, you haven't seen me complaining about these corps' 2005 show (except that I don't like the Cadets uniforms, regardless of how effective they are in the show. Just a uniform complaint.)

I havent seen then yet either, sadly, its the forst time since 1981 that Im not looking forward to it. :(

Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa is absolutely the silliest thing I expected to hear from Concord, Ca.

~G~