I Have Not Seen BD

Redundancy! That's what I was getting at. It's almost as if sometimes Downey is just copy pasting things. I don't want to deny his talent, because I really like a lot of his arrangements! But hey, no one's perfect.

We'll just pass that along to the "Department of Redundancy Department"

($1 to Firesign theater)

:)

Mike

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

I know I dont have to convince you of my love for BD, however, I cant find one sincere positive thing writte about this show yet....the fans hae left, en masse' over this show, I am afraid of seeing it tomorrow night. I cant beleive I am going to hear "Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa" Instead of the best brass line DCI has to offer.....the design of the show sounds awkward, unappealing and the show is a retake on a band show, Chandler & Co. or not....this sounds like a let-down. Add the naaration and Im sorry, Im panicking about now.

~G~

Don't let this forum give you a total bad impression. I respect people's differences with this show, and they have some valid points, but, it seems funny that they can't find anything positive to say about this performance. I feel this is the best show since 2000.

Don't let this forum give you a total bad impression. I respect people's differences with this show, and they have some valid points, but, it seems funny that they can't find anything positive to say about this performance. I feel this is the best show since 2000.

Really ?? :blink: Its small, but it does give me some hope. I liked the onceot when I heard about it last fall, then I heard about the narration and I let out a sigh, but THEN...I heard its being done by a kid in the pit while he is also playing, showing something uique, so I said I'd gove it a chance (I still am trying) But so far, except for you and a few other blurbs, I have heard nothing remotely positive about the music, concept, show design, narration...etc.......

I really am anxious to get this one under the belt, as I am again seeing them in the Meadowlands and Foxboro.

~G~

Geez, you'd think that nothing good has ever been said about a drum corps on this forum...

I *like* BD's show this year - it works, it really does. It's not going to be a championship show at the rate they're going (and we're so used to them being right up there in recent memory, when they're not, something seems "wrong"), but it's still one of those I'll watch / listen to in the future.

Mike

Well it's about time...I've got a load of whites I have to wash.  :)

Mike

I've got plenty of bleach..lol. :P

But so far, except for you and a few other blurbs, I have heard nothing remotely positive about the music, concept, show design, narration...etc.......

I saw the BD show in Murfreesboro. I haven't seen a competiton since 1995, so keep that in mind. I also have only seen the show once. I haven't seen it enough to be able dissect it as others may have. It is a strong show. I was entertained. There was a velocity/speed? to the show that appealed to me. It was tight that night and deserved its 3rd place position. As for their narration, I don't particularly care for it, but it was well done. The sound quality was good. I figure if you're going to do it, it better sound good. From where I sat, Cadets' narration that evening did not have a quality sound (hard to hear). Technical difficulties perhaps.

Kelly

Interesting.... I just listened to the show and it sounds great... I mean it definitely isn't what I remember DCI being show wise but from an audio stand point it rocks(to me).... Truth is I pretty much like anything put on the field ..lol

I was impressed with it but can hear why it isn't winning versus a cadets or cavies show which is taking no prisoners this year! I got the chance to hear a few corps this year when I was briefly in the states and I can only think of one show that sorda let me down.... and it wasn't BD

Ben

When I discuss a Blue Devils show, the one word I keep using is energy. I saw the show for the first time in Murfreesboro. The show starts slow and builds slow, not unexpected due to the subject and the reverse chronology. The last 2 minutes really rocked and the drill was full of energy. I think that by taking their guard's energy out for most of the show, until the latter half, they have robbed us of their best attribute. It has to affect how their show is being received.

Just to add...so many people love BD's 1995 show. To me, this is what I find hypocritical. I really didn't like BD's 1995 show one bit. WHY? Because it was cut-n-paste. Talk about a show that was chopped up. That was the mother of them all. The 1st half of the show was cool. Loved it. But, the 2nd part was 1991 and 1994 shows cut-n-pasted in. Now, it did have a latin jazz flavor, and the darkness. Makes me think...

Maybe people love BD if they only play latin jazz or "darkness" shows.

Again, BD explores more than any other corps, IMO. They have done almost every genre of a show, that there is. The one they haven't done is a roman ages-type music. Again, if anyone has this year's BD CD, the roman fanfare intro is just kick butt. I think they would just totally rule, doing a roman show (although the unis don't quite fit the bill for that genre of a show).

Now, with the recent years of BD shows, the style does eliminate one part of a show, that i really love...the ballads. I think BD, Phantom, and SCV really are the corps which have always done the ballads the best. I miss hearing those great BD ballads. "Vertigo" from 2000 was the last one that really pops into my head.