Drum corps, todays, yesterdays, you

My blog entry back when about amps/voice:

This may surprise you: I'm actually officially "eh" about it.

On first hearing about it, I wasn't thrilled, especially about the electronics part. And on that one, I'm still not. I know the arguments for creative expression, but this is still a competition - scores are still given. And there has to be *some* sort of method of comparing corps to corps. Acoustic (that is, the performer actually making a sound) performance does that - you can evaluate the skill of the performer.

Now I'm not talking about sound effects here - if the Cadets wanted wave sounds in their water piece, then that's well and good. But what if they wanted to sample a trumpet, say? You know, for only $21,000, you can buy a sample library of the Seattle Symphony to use for your computer generated sounds. I know, as a fellow drummer in my band (who's a professional composer) uses it all the time. It's one thing for the Cadets (and I'm not bagging on them, just using X corps as an example) to get better GE scores 'cause their pit can play with the best of them - it's another for their GE scores to go up 'cause they can afford a better sample library.

Now amps - that's a different story. That's about bringing the sound closer to the audience. I know the arguments about technique and all of that, but I'd maintain they're still playing the same way. With lower heights in some cases, but they're still playing acoustically. So I'm okay with amps, and no on electronics unless they're purely sound effects - not current instruments. (Though I'd have to say that synthesizer-sounds are okay - man, did you hear Reagan's show at BOA in '03 - the first minute is absolutely stunning.)

As for voice, well, here's where the fan in me comes out. The problem is that 90% of the voices used just don't work and come off as cheesy. Crown's beatnik drum break was a great idea, but the singer (at least on the finals CD) got slightly off-beat in some parts, and it came off kind of stilted. Now, I'm not blaming him, either - listen to the soundtrack to Rent sometime - talk about some stilted language to fit the tempos/measures, and those guys are paid professionals! But unless you have the voice beforehand, I wouldn't even bother. Write the part to fit the voice, not the other way around. If you have a singer, write them a killer solo on top of something, but don't write the vocal part and then go looking for your singer. Corps usually don't go looking to get a soprano soloist after writing 3 minutes of screeching soli in the opener - why should this be any different?

(note: to reiterate, I'm not bagging on Crown here - I have a *lot* of friends within the organization and fans thereof - just again using them as an example.)

As a percussionist, I'm fairly open to new ideas - heck, just about every toy in the pit is unconventional. I mean - brake drums? Seriously. And as we made the switch to free-floating snares back in 89-92 fairly painlessly, I've never really got the whole G versus Bb thing - the brass equivalent to that.

I guess, as a fan, what I want is to not look at a show and go "well, that was lame." I did it during the opener to Westfield's show in '03, ("We are the brass - we are the percussionists...) though they had a killer show after that. Again, find the voice before writing the part. I don't remember who it was in '03 at BOA, but they had a lady discuss the seasons as they started. Right voice for the show, and it kicked butt.

So, to corps - don't be lame.

I stand by that - BD's announcer this year - not lame. His voice is right for the part. Cascades narrator? Wasn't selling the part - he sounded like an announcer on a commercial.

Mike

You pretty much summed it all up for me. Thanks you kept me from having to type all of that. I watched tapes from 92 and 01 last night and thought to myself that both sets of shows were awesome and still "Drum Corps" as I have known it. Being a horn person I had to adjust to the idea of allowing the key change and extra valves, etc. But at the end of the day the identity of the activity really had not changed. I played a 2 valve G. Well that was a change from the rotor days that I'm sure folks then complained about also.

But back to the recurring theme, all the changes not matter what over the last 20 some odd years I have been around Drum Corps never really changed the identity of the activity. I've come around. I'm cool with the amped pits now as long as you don't crank them up too much like it seemed Cavies did in Pittsburg, KS. They were a little too loud but oh well.

I have managed to see 23 different corps this season at 4 different shows in the area. Kudos to DCI with the scheduling to allow that in Okla/Kansas.

And with every amped voice show I just got turned off. It's a direction I REALLY don't think we need to take.

Cadets: You can add all the narration you want. The reason people were not getting it is because the message is so abstract. And the drum speak is annoying.

Cascades: All I kept thinking when he went into his speach about "Should man continue the quest to fly" or what ever it was, was this "Man should shut the #### up on the mic. " Great show and your distracting as ####.

BD: It was not needed. We got it anyway. GREAT show.

Bluecoats: Drumspeak/rap is evil even when it's not amped on a football field. And #### I liked your show other than that.

I'm afraid we are morphing into a bad brass backed version of Star Search.

Edited by WWonka

There is just too much generalization lately in all of these threads. The "forward thinkers" (again a generalization) telling the "old fogeys" (another generalization) to leave, the oldster telling the newbies their generation was better (Yet another generalization) .......some telling others that they are afraid of change, some telling others that all change is bad, all change is good....why, it can get real confusin and lead to a lot of conclusions being drawn, and some good people being labeled what they aren't about on BOTH sides.

All sides of debate are indeed healthy, productive and could lead to effective change...all opinions are valid and nobody should be afraid to post theirs for fear of ridicule..as long as it doesnt get personal, then some get personal back (guilty !!) ....what do we really know about each other ?? what we like/dislike ?? what our tolerance level is/was ? what about the new era is awesome/unacceptable...tolerable, able to be lived with...what about the past is missed ? Was awesome ?? Was too over the top...etc....etc......Lets help each other stop drawing the wrong conclusion and maybe see some common ground. I bet we all have a lot more in common than not, and its ok to disagree and still get along.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The key is keeping an open mind regardless of the viewpoint. Don't be so quick to criticize those who disagree with a particular viewpoint. As long as there can be a mature dialog, there can be healthy debate. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed all the time.

• 6 years later...

There is just too much generalization lately in all of these threads. The "forward thinkers" (again a generalization) telling the "old fogeys" (another generalization) to leave, the oldster telling the newbies their generation was better (Yet another generalization) .......some telling others that they are afraid of change, some telling others that all change is bad, all change is good....why, it can get real confusin and lead to a lot of conclusions being drawn, and some good people being labeled what they aren't about on BOTH sides.

All sides of debate are indeed healthy, productive and could lead to effective change...all opinions are valid and nobody should be afraid to post theirs for fear of ridicule..as long as it doesnt get personal, then some get personal back (guilty !!) ....what do we really know about each other ?? what we like/dislike ?? what our tolerance level is/was ? what about the new era is awesome/unacceptable...tolerable, able to be lived with...what about the past is missed ? Was awesome ?? Was too over the top...etc....etc......Lets help each other stop drawing the wrong conclusion and maybe see some common ground. I bet we all have a lot more in common than not, and its ok to disagree and still get along.

I first got involved with drum corps in the late 70's(1979) and marched from 79 - 83 and aged out in 1987. I have been a fan (ataic) of th activity since then attending every finals and as many shows as I can. I have numerous corps I call favorites and have a special place in my heart mainly for corps that did NOT make the top twelve (Valley Fever, Knights, Avant Garde, Defenders, Memphis Blues, Alliance...to name a ver small few.) My favorite corps of all time is the 27th Lancers.....losing them to this day still hurts, however, my favorite corps besides them are the Blue Devils nad Phantom Regiment......everyone else is tied for second.

I am a colorguard person, and also a drummer....I carried a xylophone, played in a pit, marched a rifle and also a flag. I never thought I would like dance when it was bceming dominant in the mid eighties, I loathed the solo-dancer that everyone seemed to have around 1985, and ensemble dancing without equipment still sometimes akes me scratch my head.

The things guards do today with their equipment is amazing..the evolution of the colorguard has been exciting, althogh I still wonder if basics are as important as they used to be and if clarity, precision and unity are just as practiced as we ued to do it.

I love the way movement is incorporated into todays guards. My two best examples of that are: 1991 Cadets, the last 30 seconds of their show, and 1999 Blue Devils, the last minute of their show, the perfect marriage if eqipment work and movement I have ever seen.

I love todays drills (Are they called that anymore?) The drill actually died, Ithink on that hot August night in 1983 in Miami Fl. when Cadets pffocialy closed the door on drum corps and took us into a new era of show design and performance. It took a few years for the rest to cath up and when they did, Garfield took another leap in show design(1987) Not until Stars emergence in the early nineties did the door officialy slam and yet another new era of drum corps get hearlded in.....You can see Star of Indianas influence in just about every coprs on the field today....Glassmen, Crown, Blue Knights.....

They seemed to start the movement off, but now everyone is doing it, although the Cavaliers of the 2000's seem to be the next era in show design.

I love the music that is being played today, it still has me running to the sites like Amazon.com and B&N.com and purchasing/discovering new sounds and composers...My vast classical library was built in thanks to being curios about whothe heck Sir William Walton was...and I never looked back. Stan Kenton, Johnny Richards, Sammy Nestico, Sainy Saens, Hindemith...etc...etc....All unknowns until I was introduced to them by drum corps.

The changes I have seen in my twent-six years as a fan, performer, spectator have been numerous. Pretty much all have been favorable and acceptable by me.

I remember it used to be two seasons and it started in early June, usually the big news came from the DCM evaluation day and the buzz was flying mouth to mouth , or until we received our DCW issues in the mail....Bayonne usually opened the season with theor "Tournament of stars" and the first tour hit the ground running, then there were regional championships, and finally a second tour culminating with championships in mid-August. I miss those ong tours and numerous circuit shows but I enjoy some of the new formats that are around today like the Allentown, two night extravaganza, the Murfreesboro show, and the Indy, San Antonio line-ups....

The pit evolved and came to pass as I became involved in drum corps. I liked the idea......carry a Xylophone and you would too b**bs ..I like seeing the equipment on the front sidelines (or in the case of 94 Phantom Regiment, wherever you wanna put it) and watching the crews hurry on and off.....

G bugles were what I grew up with, when the change came to Bb, I was concerned, gave it a listen, then decided it really didnt alter my love of the activity that much. Boy, did I get my head handed to me on RAMD.......It seems that the Bb bugles are coming into their own and quite frankly, not being a brass man, I cant really tel the true difference, but I do respect others that can,and feel bad for them if they cant "adapt" or no longer enjoy their drum corps.

Shows were shortened and I was puzzled, I adapted, it didnt matter.

Corps after corps folded, the 83-86 era was hard as many, many favorites disappeared and eventualy the top twenty five went to the top twenty one, and now, there only what, 24 ?? touring Division one corps ??? However, thats still a lot of entertainment value and Quarterfinals, to me, is the best show of the year.

Ticket prices...well, i have my stub from 81 Finals....$6 LOL LOL....I am looking at my ticket for finals night this year $125.......I am on the 48 yard line so I really cant complain....things change, roll with the punches.

I guess, I am coming to what I call my "tolerance level" When amplification was passed, I groaned, I whined (still am, right Mike D ?? :blink: ) and I tried to approach the situation with an open mind.....In reality, the amplification of the pit equipment is tolerable and does not deter me from enjoying the activity, or to the same xtent supporting it and looking frward to it every year. I didnt think I would ever say that, but it is the truth.......Amplified voice however, I can not at this point roll with this punch. It takes away from the main focus of what drum and bugle orps is: Drums and bugles making music with colorguard accompanying it. I dont want to be told something I cant figure out for myself, I dont want to be led to where to look, what to see and waht to think. I draw my own conclusions. Is it bad ?? no, its just not what I choose to enjoy or support....theres a place for everything, and I dont feel voice , through a microphone taking away precious time when I can hear a bugle or a drum, has a place in a drum corps show.

I dont mind the occasional ensemble, un-mic'd singing ala' 2000 BAC...I actually liked that. But on the flip side, four singers taking the place of a small brass ensemble doesnt do it for me.

Im hoping this particular change will phase out, and quick, before I lose interest and find other things to occupy my time...do I wanna "leave" ...you tell me ? after giving you some brief background...nobody wants to leave, but Im sure nobody wants to support something they no longer relate to either........

Where does it end ? whats next ?? When will drum and bugle corps "change" so much that it is no longer recognozable and its identity is challenged with too many ideas and not enough time to absorb and reflect ???

Sorry so long.......

~G~

Well it's been quite a few years since I read this post (I lurked around here for a long time before I even created a username)...Some of these "fads" have died out...others have not...I recall resisting a few of these, but when push comes to shove I just truly love drum corps and couldn't imagine EVER leaving or to stop talking about it. I passionately talk about drum corps all the time...even if people think I'm a little crazy :smile: