MADISON SCOUTS..Out of Gas..Down for the Count

I too was expected a lot from Madison when I saw them, PR and Bluecoats at the Bluecoats' Hall of Fame show in Massillon this past Sunday.

Don't get me wrong -- Madison is solidly in the 5-6-7 range, which is a step up from last year, but I was expecting more. The show left me a bit flat ... too choppy, "Carmen" is a great effect at her entrance but a distraction after that (PR's "Gershwin" is much better!) and the show doesn't seem to go anywhere -- big beginning, but ending nothing special. Very good show -- better than last year.

BUT, Scouts are not close to Phantom. No question.

Being a Bluecoats alum and fan, I am a bit biased -- but I still don't think Madison is better than Bluecoats in corps talent or show quality. Madison is obviously better than Boston, so staying in 5-6-7 is a no-brainer. (I haven't seen CCrown, but have seen enough scores (including Thursday) and heard enough to know they're in the mix too, but likely at the bottom of that mix behind Bluecoats and Madison.)

So ... if Bluecoats move up to 5th and Madison takes 6th, that's a one-spot improvement for Bluecoats and a two-spot improvement for Scouts. That's awesome for both.

Madison has had a great year, and while the trend that seems to be happening of them falling behind Bluecoats (we won't know for sure until Quarters) is the same thing that happened last year, ANY corps that can move up two spots in Finals from year-to-year had to be happy with its season.

No matter what -- great year from drum corps. Not having seen Cadets, Cavies or BD, if any of those coprs can beat Phantom, they've got to be pretty #### good. And if those four all beat Bluecoats and Madison, again, nothing to be ashamed of.

- R -

I saw Madison for the first time last night. I thought the arrangements were pretty choppy (still entertaining, but I typically like Boerma's arrangements much better than this). I thought Carmen looked a little out of place at times (especially because she's wearing an outfit much different than the other guard guys). I thought the closer was flat (I thought "it just ended?").

That said, I agree with all the hype. This show is their best since 1999. People have a reason to be excited. I think this show is just as good, if not better, than many of their 6th place offerings in the 1990s. I would never have watched this show and thought "championship," so perhaps that hype was unwarranted. But the staff is on the right track.

I think more than a "rip your face off" show, I want to see a talented corps that places well. I want to see a good show design. And I think I'm going to be pleased with Madison in years to come.

Some good points. I think Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment have both benefitted from not only their own hard work on their shows, but also the fact that Madison Scouts have been so strong this year. They've been pushed by Madison. And, like Steve said, scoring over 90 beginning 7/30 is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations.

I thought Carmen looked a little out of place at times (especially because she's wearing an outfit much different than the other guard guys).

I think that's kinda the point... B)

It's not a championship calliber show, but it didn't really need to be. All the Scouts needed to do this year was move themselves back into a top six position (which they've done, barring some amazing movement by Crown, SCV, and/or Boston). Getting the members to understand what it feels like to be 'competitive' is the step you need to get them to start believing that they could potentially win it all. What they HAVE done very successfully with this show is start back toward a recognizable identity - these charts sound like they were written for Madison, which is much more than you could say for last year's book.

In short, this is a GOOD year for the Scouts in the most important ways. Let's see what it brings next year and the year after.

As far as I'm concerned, they've topped 90 in early August...what's the problem????!!!!

So they might end up being surpassed by Crown or Bluecoats...that's indicative that we are having a GREAT season.  Why does that have to mean that the Scouts are "down for the count"?

Yea, Madison!  You're back in the middle of the pack.  You pushed the top corps briefly a few weeks ago, but you're not gone by a long shot.  Nowadays, it takes a stellar show with absolute maturity in the line to pull off a top 3 or 4 bid.  Your show might be missing that mark slightly, but it's a great vehicle to keep you on people's minds for another race next year.

I don't think he's measuring a successful season based on where they place (or atleast he doesn't give too many bonus points for good placement). I think he's basing a succesful season on whether or not the show is "madisonesque" and if it connects with the audience. If they were connecting with the audience in the manner he's used to and if they were still topped by Crown and Bluecoats, I think he would still be happy.

The Scouts don't need high placement in order to keep them on people's minds (or atleast they shouldn't need it if they've had a typical Madison show).

I don't think he's measuring a successful season based on where they place (or atleast he doesn't give too many bonus points for good placement).  I think he's basing a succesful season on whether or not the show is "madisonesque" and if it connects with the audience.

Well...I can see both points from his post. but he DOES mention the competition several times and his accessment that the Scouts are losing momentum competitively in August leads me to believe that "out of gas" and "down for the count" are terms used to describe their competitive stature, not their choice of shows.

I'm not sure what y'all's REAL complaint is. Is it that Madison hasn't found the formula to compete for the top prize? Or is it that Madison of 2005 isn't doing the shows of the Madison of another era?

The distinction is important because if it's the latter you want, the former isn't possible.

HH

Well...I can see both points from his post. but he DOES mention the competition several times and his accessment that the Scouts are losing momentum competitively in August leads me to believe that "out of gas" and "down for the count" are terms used to describe their competitive stature, not their choice of shows.

ssorrell,

I'll try to clarify.

You are correct. I purposely mention aspects of competition and use the aforementioned terms "out of gas" because these are words and measuring sticks that others are using (and oh, by the way, if you hadn’t noticed, they do keep score). My motivations though are much more in line with the poster just previous to you. There's always been a philosophy in the Madison camp (at least I believe it’s still present) that if we do what we do best, ala, a Madisonesque show that all is well! The crowd has always been the biggest barometer by which Madison and others measure. There are other aspects though that began to weaken within the halls of Madison; technique, execution and design to mention a few. I believe that over the past several seasons that these areas have begun to be addressed. Again, I'm simply addressing those disappointed individuals who think that every time Madison takes the field for a new season that THIS IS IT! This is the show for the ages! My feeling from the very early on was and is that this Madison program is not up to Madison defined standards (at least past standards) and actually seemed like a huge departure! If this needs further clarification, I'm happy to indulge but I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Madsop75