MADISON SCOUTS..Out of Gas..Down for the Count

Masterfitter,

Either you didn’t read my original post or I have failed to explain my points.  And where in the world you find me calling into question the desire or "want to" by the 05' Scouts again leaves me wondering what your smoking??  Did you not read my compliments to the contrary??  Did you not read my comments as to there successes this year and how improvement is rampant??  Do you not have the ability to make the distinction between "having the talent but not having the show?"

The overriding statement is this, Big Improvements! They’ve got the Horses!, They just aint got the show that so many hoped and believed they had this year.  It's good but it didn’t deliver the home run that many were expecting.  That’s It!  How you quantify that into a personal attack toward the guys in the corps is beyond me.

Now you can continue on and believe in some further conspiracy theory on my part and that I some how want to attack my own or as you state earlier, drag Scott Stewart into this (which is proof again that you couldn’t have read my earlier posts).  And yes, unless you mean something other then my involvement over the past several very hard years, I am very acquainted as to "what it took" to get back to where the boys are today.

Sincerely,

Madsop75

I guess in my book you need to be supportive rather than critical. The game is not over yet and, even though now some may believe 'they just aint got the show that so many had hoped and believed they had this year' I'm not sure what these people were hoping for...challenging for 3rd at least part of the season (who knows what the judges will smile upon next week - they could flip/flop back thinking Madison has the GE and not PR)...well, it's been a great year for the corps and those that are fans should be proud for what has been accomplished. Sorry if I mis-interpret your intent.

It wouldn't even be close. And that would be a proper result.

Don't get me wrong. The Madison championships and top-six placements were well deserved. Heck, Madison was the corp that sold me on drum corps forever when y'all put the silent counts in Stars & Stripes (was it '76?). And one of my all-time favorite drum corps moments was 1993 finals when the sixth-place Scouts played their hearts out in a driving rain. It was hot, wet and cool all at once. Emotion to burn. Classic Madison.

But that was the past. Glorius as it was, none of that nor 1995 is good enough to win today because the other corps are better than Madison was. Trying to be the Madison of the early 90s or late 80s or mid-70s today is like asking a contestant in today's Miss Universe pageant to wear hair, makeup and clothes (as well as natural body parts!) from the 70s. She might win, but there will be plenty of other great-looking women who'll look even better in today's fashions.

Changing the subject slightly, if this Madison show were scoring around 95, would we be having this discussion at all?

HH

Glory,

Somehow the assumption is that I want the 75' or the 95' Scouts to retake the field and vwala! And this seems to be an abounding assumption that when an alumn from Madison talks about his corps he's somehow caught in a time warp and needs to "get with the program"! If you’re saying that it's impossible for Madison to entertain the "Madison way" and not remain competitive via improvement in all aspects of their performance then indeed it is a sad day! And to your question of "what if a 95"? I can’t speak for others, but if you’ve read any of my earlier posts it should be evident that the underlying issue pertains to Madison's overriding philosophy of entertaining with excellence. I for one still believe that from a program standpoint, Madison’s best days are ahead of them and the Scouts will be rewarded for their efforts. Jimmy Elvord used to say "do the job, get the mark"! We live in a different world today.

Sincerely,

Madsop75

I'd have to agree with OtherDaryl and say the show seems very West Side Story-ish, rather than Carmen. It almosts feels as if the arranger (Boerma, I'm assuming) thought Carmen was written by Bernstein.

p.s......i've edited 5 posts in this thread because the quote feature was misused....if you are replying to a post just made you do not need quotes....only quote was you are replying too, not the entire post....check out the quote guidelines here LINK

yes, im a stikler about the quotes....they kill bandwidth

p.s......i've edited 5 posts in this thread because the quote feature was misused....if you are replying to a post just made you do not need quotes....only quote was you are replying too, not the entire post....check out the quote guidelines here LINK

I for one appreciate your taking the time to "clean up" what others leave behind. I hate having to sift through post after post when a person quotes someone in their entirety only to make a veyry short comment.

Edited by ssorrell

or maybe like I posted earlier it has less to do with some preconceived placements for the top 12 and the fact that corps with harder shows than madison have finally got theirs as clean as madisons.  and maybe the slow down in point increases is due to madison having maxed out their show and others are still pushing theirs to their limit.  which will happen if a show isn't as difficult as others around you.  you can only clean a show so much before your scores will level off if you've reached the maximum the show can get for itself.

I cant speak about any top 6 shows other than Madison and Phantoms. But Phantoms show is most certainly not as hard as Scouts. Much as I love Gershwin, its not hard stuff, even when done the Phantom way.

I have heard from various insiders from Madison who claim that they had their best shows in the last three where they moved a total of .4 points. I dont think its a matter of maxing out the show (apart from fixing the ending) I think the die is cast and movement is not going to happen regardless of how well Scouts perform.

I cant speak about any top 6 shows other than Madison and Phantoms. But Phantoms show is most certainly not as hard as Scouts. 

Well now...that's a matter of opinion now, isn't it?

I just wanted to say that I don't care what score they get, what place they take or what their show is. They are the Madison Scouts and they are proud of their show. I don't appreciate everyone bashing all the hard work these boys (and girl) have put in to have an enjoyable time this summer all for the "fans". My brother, Joey, plays the soprano this year and it seems to me like they're just proud they are where they are this year. Why can't we just be proud of that. Who cares about hype and how it did or didn't end up the way people expected. What happened to just enjoying the show. There's so much pressure on these musicians to get high scores. *Cheers to all the people out there who ever worked their butts off during a summer for drum corps*.

Heather

Somehow the assumption is that I want the 75' or the 95' Scouts to retake the field and vwala!  And this seems to be an abounding assumption that when an alumn from Madison talks about his corps he's somehow caught in a time warp and needs to "get with the program"! 

I did think that's what you meant. Apologies for missing your point. In my defense, there is a substantial group around here that does seem to think that. I apparently wasn't discriminating enough.

As for the content/contest issue we were discussing, I got to wondering how Madison placed in previous eras when the Madison "style" was believed to be rewarded better. I counted placement from 1995 back to find that Madison in that "glory" era was placing pretty much where it's placed now.

From 1986 to 1995, there was one first, one fourth, one fifth, three sixths, three sevenths and one ninth for the Scouts at finals. That puts the average slightly better than sixth. Going back another decade to 1976 to 1985, there was one second, one third, two fourths, three fifths, two sixths and one eighth. Average is slightly better than fifth.

The only conclusion I can draw from this data is today's Madison -whatever you might think of the show's content as well as those who judge it - is scoring about where Madison scored in the good old days. Huh?

HH

Edited by glory

Dear, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

But this is competition. And from your signature, you are only interested in watching others compete.

So I'm glad you're enjoying the show but remember the ones who are out there are the ones who take the glory and the defeat. Maybe you should try it out for a year.

I just wanted to say that I don't care what score they get, what place they take or what their show is. They are the Madison Scouts and they are proud of their show. I don't appreciate everyone bashing all the hard work these boys (and girl) have put in to have an enjoyable time this summer all for the "fans".  My brother, Joey, plays the soprano this year and it seems to me like they're just proud they are where they are this year. Why can't we just be proud of that. Who cares about hype and how it did or didn't end up the way people expected. What happened to just enjoying the show. There's so much pressure on these musicians to get high scores. *Cheers to all the people out there who ever worked their butts off during a summer for drum corps*.

Heather

The only conclusion I can draw from this data is today's Madison -whatever you might think of the show's content as well as those who judge it - is scoring about where Madison scored in the good old days. Huh?

HH

Glory,

Your math skills are astounding (appreciation!) and I echo your point! Again, it should be very clear to all that the Scouts have rebounded nicely from several years ago. In response to others, I don’t know if their show has “maxed” out. From my observation (again, it pains me) compared to what the Scouts are known for, this particular rendition leaves the Madison aficionado wanting and somewhat empty. What can I say; I’m jaded and spoiled rotten!!

Sincerely,

Madsop75